• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Hmmmm...It sure looks to me like that thing broke off right at the chamber.

Makes me think that it very possibly could have been a Kaboom (overcharged blown case) that did it. OR The round fired out of battery. That could have been something like a dirty firing pin that stuck, or it was a mechanical breakdown. No way to know without a detail strip and close inspection.

Just because it was factory ammo does not mean a KB could not happen. Granted, more KB's happen with reloaded ammo with lower QC. But there are documented cases all over the internet of KB's with factory ammo in various pistols and rifles.

If it was a KB or out of battery fire, there are many metal firearms that would have been ruined as well. Maybe not so spectacularly, but still ruined.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    More to the story:
    I spoke with the owner yesterday. He said that the last few shots of the first mag it seemed to be shooting a little low, but the didn't think anything of it. It continued for the first couple of rounds of the second mag and after the third round it broke. It was not an out of battery fire, nor did it seem to be a particularly hot round. He's been using the same lot of ammo since he bought it and he's putt a few hundred rounds through it.
    I guess it's a 1st gen, so there is no metal in the receiver. I guess the 2nd gen are reinforced, but I don't know for sure.
    Also, Kel-tec is providing a shipping label for return. I don't know if they are going to replace it or what.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I am not sure if I would want another one, I would get it replaced then sell it off, I have had other firearms that have malfunctioned on me, I sent them in got them replaced or fixed then when returned they got traded in for something else.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Since this is now a demil'd non-rifle, can he just stuff the parts in a box and send them back without worrying about the issues of shipping a firearm?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    39F869_AS01

Not to hijack the thread but this stuff is the schizzle and all that too !!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks like an injection molded part, the "crack" may be the location of the mold's knit line between the gates. Mold not up to temperature or a cold shot can produce a bad knit line and a place where cracks can begin.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    UPDATE: Kel-tec "repaired" the rifle and it should be back in his hands today. How did they repair it? No idea. We were joking about JB weld and fiberglass cloth last night, but we'll see.
    Hopefully he'll send me some pictures when he gets it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    UPDATE: Kel-tec "repaired" the rifle and it should be back in his hands today. How did they repair it? No idea. We were joking about JB weld and fiberglass cloth last night, but we'll see.
    Hopefully he'll send me some pictures when he gets it.

Hopefully they replaced the peice that broke with the metal reinforced one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes they do. Kel-Tec makes cool stuff, when it works. I wonder if the cartridge was slightly out of batter directing some energy toward the sides?

Cool stuff... when it works, exactly the combo needed in a firearm/self defense weapon. I don't want that combination in most anything, but then I am a function over form kind of person.

Top Bottom