Kenya buys cropdusters as tactical aircraft..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That uparmored version is pretty cool. Wonder what kind of radar signature it has. Small, and the angle and roundness of the fuselage almost makes me think it would be semi-stealthy. Not that you'd need it where it would be engaged, but another selling feature. Probably pretty quiet, too.

Those LGBs could be dropped from pretty far away, particularly if getting buddy lazing from ground troops.

I thought Brazil had a plane in that market, too, though. Makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of trade deal thing more than a military thing.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Embraer Super Tucano.

Textron has rolled out the Scorpion, a single engine jet for both the T-X trainer competition as well as an "inexpensive" light attack aircraft.

None of these airframes replace the capability of an A-10, which simply cannot be replicated by anything other than an A-10...but they easily could provide effective CAS for troops in contact in a low-intensity conflict for acquisition and operating costs WAY WAY WAY less than existing and available more capable tactical airframes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Embraer Super Tucano.

Ah yes, that's the one.

Textron has rolled out the Scorpion, a single engine jet for both the T-X trainer competition as well as an "inexpensive" light attack aircraft.
    Forgot about that one, too.

I recall the Euro AMX has been around a long time for this kind of role, but never really took off (pardon the pun). :)

None of these airframes replace the capability of an A-10, which simply cannot be replicated by anything other than an A-10...
    You know I was kidding about that, right? :D

I wonder how expensive the Russians are marketing the Su-25. Just looked and its at $11M. Pretty steep.

ETA:
    Just looked and the AMX is marketed at $16.5M. No wonder they're not that popular.

ETA2:
    Wow. That Scorpion is at $20M and the Super Tucano about $10M. I'm not sure there is another product in this niche. Super cheap, but get the job done, in a super minimalist way. The An-3 (because they don't make the An-2 anymore) is at $1.5M. Most of the market has probably moved toward helos for this kind of CAS, because they can do other things, too. Just not quite as fast.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That uparmored version is pretty cool. Wonder what kind of radar signature it has. Small, and the angle and roundness of the fuselage almost makes me think it would be semi-stealthy. Not that you'd need it where it would be engaged, but another selling feature. Probably pretty quiet, too.

Those LGBs could be dropped from pretty far away, particularly if getting buddy lazing from ground troops.

I thought Brazil had a plane in that market, too, though. Makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of trade deal thing more than a military thing.

I bet the center mounted pod has a laser designator. It looks like what's on the front of the Predator. Probably FLIR also, a lot of capability there, drop precision bombs and act as an airborne FAC.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    visual aid

[video=youtube;lT-BXdOKHl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-BXdOKHl4[/video]

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok so a long time ago I was diagnosed with a written language learning disorder. I have over come this and recognize it when it shows up. Most of the time when it shows up it can be a bit frustrating but other time it makes me laugh to no end this was one such moment!!

I read "Kanye buys cropduster as tactical aircraft" . I started skimming the first post and had KNOW IDEA why the State Department had anything to do with Kanye West and him wanting to buy planes!!

Welcome to my world.....:laugh:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Ok so a long time ago I was diagnosed with a written language learning disorder. I have over come this and recognize it when it shows up. Most of the time when it shows up it can be a bit frustrating but other time it makes me laugh to no end this was one such moment!!

I read "Kanye buys cropduster as tactical aircraft" . I started skimming the first post and had KNOW IDEA why the State Department had anything to do with Kanye West and him wanting to buy planes!!

Welcome to my world.....:laugh:

That wouldn't work. The plane only has an 11,000 pound payload, no way he could get his wife's ass and his ego in the plane...

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have been to the Air Tractor factory in Texas. I was a tech rep for Hartzell Propeller and that is what's on the nose. When I looked at those planes close up, I was surprised by the size and construction. They are built like tanks. I thought to myself back then (around 1995 or 1996) and thought they would make a cool close in support platform. The Embraer Super Tucano is a nice performing plane, along with the Beechcraft AT-6 which is damn near a clone if you look at them together. But those two cost so much more... and Obama's relatives probably cannot maintain something like those, while a crop duster is made to be easily maintained. Except for the turbine engine of course... but the PT6 is a proven and near bulletproof design in terms of reliability.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well the "sole source" contract went to a company that doesn't make the product that is being requested, and for twice the price of a company that DOES make the product, and owned by veterans.

Obama does this on the final day? Hrm...

Certainly worth looking into.

The USA isn't providing those airplanes to Kenya, Kenya is buying them from an American company. As such, why does an American politican care what a foreign country pays for American arms? Oh, the biggest noisemaker is a North Carolina congresscritter that just so happens to have a competitor to the winner in his district?

Color me surprised.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Every time I read this I wonder if we couldn't harvest some of the crop dusters from the 1500 and get a piece of this $418 million dollar pie.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Air tractor 802 is a super cool plane. Crop dusting, firefighting, weapons platform. I had the opportunity to go up in two seater while crop dusting. Talk about a ride! The pilot gave passengers a plastic Walmart bag and made you tuck in your shirt to catch the spillage. I never swallowed my own puke so many times in 45 minutes.

Top Bottom