• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Right now I give this can a thumbs down and a waste of my time but I want to find out what their customer service is like.

Last edited:

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well, glad to at least hear that the YHM is a good, quiet can. only about 2 more months and I should have mine. Good luck OP, I hope HTA takes care of you.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Did you call Huntertown and share your concerns?

Have somebody else shoot it with you standing beside and/or back & behind to judge suppression and eliminate buffer/Spring/BCG noise?

I seem to recall reading at some point that the Kestrel AK has oversized baffle bore holes compared to the Kestrel 7.62/308; if true, perhaps a baffle swap would be an easy "fix".

Last edited:

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Did you call Huntertown and share your concerns?

Have somebody else shoot it with you standing beside and/or back & behind to judge suppression and eliminate buffer/Spring/BCG noise?

I seem to recall reading at some point that the Kestrel AK has oversized baffle bore holes compared to the Kestrel 7.62/308; if true, perhaps a baffle swap would be an easy "fix".
    What would be even better is if you could send it in ad have it converted to the 308 all that would change is the longer end and more baffles.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    What would be even better is if you could send it in ad have it converted to the 308 all that would change is the longer end and more baffles.

This is what I wanted to know, so I E-mailed them and asked if that was an option and of course they said no. The baffles on this can are WAY oversized and I'm going to put my money on that being the problem. The .308 can wasn't available yet when I purchased this one and after feeling the weight of this one I couldn't imagine anything bigger on the end of my barrel. Im stuck with it, and I cant get an answer from HTA. I will just throw it on my Draco and SBR it I guess and buy a real can real soon.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    my Kestrel 7.62AK can works great on my 7.62AKs.

Hearing safe, but of course there is still a pretty good crack since Im shooting supersonic (normal) ammo through it.

Personally I would try to find someone with a similar can and try that with the same rifle/ammo and see how different it is.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    my Kestrel 7.62AK can works great on my 7.62AKs.

Hearing safe, but of course there is still a pretty good crack since Im shooting supersonic (normal) ammo through it.

Personally I would try to find someone with a similar can and try that with the same rifle/ammo and see how different it is.

I have, and Im sure this can works great for Aks Im going to head up to Henryville around 11am to try it on an ak, but that wasn't the reason I purchased this can. I was told it would suppress 300blk very well aslo. I guess its my fault and I did break my own rule of don't buy cheap, but at the worst I guess I have $500 into an Ak.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    The registered part of the Kestrel 308 is much longer than the registered end of the 762AK. The bore is oversized and has an ID of .400", that was the whole intent of the 762 AK suppressor, so it could compensate for less than great threads on AK rifles.

Why someone marketed it to you as a good 300BLK can...I got nothin'.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The registered part of the Kestrel 308 is much longer than the registered end of the 762AK. The bore is oversized and has an ID of .400", that was the whole intent of the 762 AK suppressor, so it could compensate for less than great threads on AK rifles.

Why someone marketed it to you as a good 300BLK can...I got nothin'.

My guess is that it went from "It can handle" to "It will work well"

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've told dealers and customers time and time again that same statement.

The 7.62AK is capable of .300, although it is not purposed for that and sound reduction with be not be optimal.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    how is it that a slightly larger bore in this case would make such a difference when 5.56 through a .308 can is so effective? I could see a db or two, but "very loud" and almost ineffective? seems there must be more to the story?

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    how is it that a slightly larger bore in this case would make such a difference when 5.56 through a .308 can is so effective? I could see a db or two, but "very loud" and almost ineffective? seems there must be more to the story?

-rvb

I'm going off of memory from seeing one, but I don't think that the 7.62 has anywhere near close to the same internal volume.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012

-rvb

What more would you like to know sir? The can is brand new and I even tested it on both of my Aks today and neither were "hearing safe". How ever like I said I am not bad mouthing this company and the I spoke with Chris of Orion Arms and he contacted the owner and I will be sending the can in for him to look at, and I will see how to goes from there but as of right now this is not a suppressor just a weight at the end of my barrel.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What more would you like to know sir? The can is brand new and I even tested it on both of my Aks today....

Sorry, didn't mean more to your story you're not telling us, I meant more to the story of why folks are expecting there would be such a difference in performance between two .30 cal cans if the big difference was a couple hundredths difference in bore diameter... Seems there must be more to that (can volume, baffle design, etc).

-rvb

jim.a

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    I have a few suppressor and most think that they work like the ones you see on TV. Suppressor do just that suppress the sound 7.62 is hard to make quiet.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I have a few suppressor and most think that they work like the ones you see on TV. Suppressor do just that suppress the sound 7.62 is hard to make quiet.

This isn't my first rodeo my friend. I know what 300blk subsonic sounds like and this isn't it or even close!

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    No they don't. Same baffles as 7.62AK and same exit hole size, just longer.

That is correct everything seems to be interchangeable between the two cans. I actually took the .308 baffles and installed them into my can just to verify. I wanted to give an update on my can. Chris from Orion arms got a hold of the owner of HTA and he had me mail the can to him with the handloads I plan on shooting. hopefully, this is a one off issue and he fixes it.

Top Bottom