• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That is correct everything seems to be interchangeable between the two cans. I actually took the .308 baffles and installed them into my can just to verify. I wanted to give an update on my can. Chris from Orion arms got a hold of the owner of HTA and he had me mail the can to him with the handloads I plan on shooting. hopefully, this is a one off issue and he fixes it.

well you can't get better customer service than that! Once again Steve from huntertown arms shows he is a man of integrity!

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Curious about a couple of things on this -

What is the barrel length? And what was the temp outside when you went to the range?

I've read a couple of people complaining that the Remington 220 subsonic is not subsonic when the temp is below 40 degrees or so. From testing, this ammo is just barely subsonic and if the temp is low and/or the barrel is 16+ inches long it would not be a surprise if you get a muzzle crack on every pull.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Note: Full disclosure - I own Huntertown Arms and designed the Kestrel 7.62 AK silencer that is chock full of awesome when used as designed but doesn't do things it is not supposed to do very well, if at all.

You can't assume that subsonic ammunition is always (or ever) quieter than supersonic, regardless if whether a silencer is used or not.

Imagine a waterhose. If you turn it on with medium pressure, the stream of water stays together until gravity pulls it to the ground. Increase the pressure and the stream turns into a spray, with water droplets chaotically flailing about as soon as they leave the hose. If you placed a big cup right in front of the hose, the cup would capture more of the higher pressure spray than the stream. This is roughly the difference between super and sub sonic 300 Blackout. This is the best analogy I can come up with to explain the difference between supersonic and subsonic 300 Blackout. While this explaination is not entirely correct, it should give you a better idea of the principles than a bunch of math equations likely would.

Supersonic 300 Blackout fluid dynamics are similar to the 7.62x39 and not at all like subsonic 300 Blackout. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is designed for supersonic applications, and specifically for the AK platform shooting 7.62x39. That's what our website says. That's what our literature says. It will work with supersonic 300 Blackout because of the similarity to the 7.62x39. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is not a suitable subsonic 300 Blackout silencer, and we have never claimed it was. The blast chamber is too short to capture the explosive gases traveling tightly at slow speeds. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is great at what it does - suppressing AK47s shooting 7.62x39. That's it. It's not a multi-caliber, do-all silencer. It is the first application-specific silencer we designed and released. We've sold well over 1,000 of them in the past year, and have had a single complaint.

The Kestrel .308 is a superior silencer for subsonic application because of the extended blast chamber size and additional baffles. IT also works better with .308, because it has more volume to capture the additional hot gases generated.

In an instance where the wrong silencer was purchased for the wrong application we just can't change the baffle housing to use a longer baffle housing, as was suggested upthread. Increasing the overall length of a silencer is a felony unless a new tax stamp is issued and the whole Form 4 process started over. I love my dealers, customers, and INGO friends but I won't go to prison for anyone. Because it's what we do, I will however see what can be done within the confines of what will not send me to jail for a very long time, or cost me my livelihood, or both.

I haven't had the opportunity to see this can yet, which would have been nice before telling tens of thousands of people we suck, but I suppose that's the world we live in now. My guess is that I'll be spending Christmas redesigning the baffle stack to do something it was not designed or intended to do. Who knows, maybe it will lead to an awesome new product.

Merry Christmas to all my INGO friends. May you all be blessed in 2014 and for years to come.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Nice reply with a great explanation. Since I'm waiting on stamps for three of your suppressors, I am anxious to see if they are as good as I've heard and experienced at NFA Day 2013!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Note: Full disclosure - I own Huntertown Arms and designed the Kestrel 7.62 AK silencer that is chock full of awesome when used as designed but doesn't do things it is not supposed to do very well, if at all.

You can't assume that subsonic ammunition is always (or ever) quieter than supersonic, regardless if whether a silencer is used or not.

Imagine a waterhose. If you turn it on with medium pressure, the stream of water stays together until gravity pulls it to the ground. Increase the pressure and the stream turns into a spray, with water droplets chaotically flailing about as soon as they leave the hose. If you placed a big cup right in front of the hose, the cup would capture more of the higher pressure spray than the stream. This is roughly the difference between super and sub sonic 300 Blackout. This is the best analogy I can come up with to explain the difference between supersonic and subsonic 300 Blackout. While this explaination is not entirely correct, it should give you a better idea of the principles than a bunch of math equations likely would.

Supersonic 300 Blackout fluid dynamics are similar to the 7.62x39 and not at all like subsonic 300 Blackout. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is designed for supersonic applications, and specifically for the AK platform shooting 7.62x39. That's what our website says. That's what our literature says. It will work with supersonic 300 Blackout because of the similarity to the 7.62x39. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is not a suitable subsonic 300 Blackout silencer, and we have never claimed it was. The blast chamber is too short to capture the explosive gases traveling tightly at slow speeds. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is great at what it does - suppressing AK47s shooting 7.62x39. That's it. It's not a multi-caliber, do-all silencer. It is the first application-specific silencer we designed and released. We've sold well over 1,000 of them in the past year, and have had a single complaint.

The Kestrel .308 is a superior silencer for subsonic application because of the extended blast chamber size and additional baffles. IT also works better with .308, because it has more volume to capture the additional hot gases generated.

In an instance where the wrong silencer was purchased for the wrong application we just can't change the baffle housing to use a longer baffle housing, as was suggested upthread. Increasing the overall length of a silencer is a felony unless a new tax stamp is issued and the whole Form 4 process started over. I love my dealers, customers, and INGO friends but I won't go to prison for anyone. Because it's what we do, I will however see what can be done within the confines of what will not send me to jail for a very long time, or cost me my livelihood, or both.

I haven't had the opportunity to see this can yet, which would have been nice before telling tens of thousands of people we suck, but I suppose that's the world we live in now. My guess is that I'll be spending Christmas redesigning the baffle stack to do something it was not designed or intended to do. Who knows, maybe it will lead to an awesome new product.

Merry Christmas to all my INGO friends. May you all be blessed in 2014 and for years to come.

Keep us updated... I have two stamps I'm about to send off. One for the 762 AK and a .22lr can... If those workout well, I'll be back for a .308 can. If you end up designing some new baffles that work well with subsonic 300blk, I'd be all in for ordering some of those too.

Cheers,

Mike

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    Nice reply with a great explanation. Since I'm waiting on stamps for three of your suppressors, I am anxious to see if they are as good as I've heard and experienced at NFA Day 2013!

I concur!

Dang, you sure got bit hard from NFA Day didn't ya? Wish I was able to swing some NFA goodies, not in the cards atm.

Let me know if you ever want to go pew-pewing!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I concur!

Dang, you sure got bit hard from NFA Day didn't ya? Wish I was able to swing some NFA goodies, not in the cards atm.

Let me know if you ever want to go pew-pewing!

Haha! Yeah, guess so. I just tell myself that I'm repaying Andrew (Profire Arms) for his generosity and helpfulness in letting us use his toys and educating us in their use. If I had the scratch, I'd be buying MGs and SBRs, but suppressors are all I can afford right now.

FAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    NWI
    Always good to see the owner of a company engage in some good, solid, constructive dialogue with their customers. I have one HTA can already and some others on the way so I'm glad to come across this thread.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    my Kestrel 7.62AK can works great on my 7.62AKs.

Hearing safe, but of course there is still a pretty good crack since Im shooting supersonic (normal) ammo through it.

Personally I would try to find someone with a similar can and try that with the same rifle/ammo and see how different it is.

Mine is working great also with the right ammunition, I'm shooting subs out of my 300 blk and it is quiet..

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have an SBR, and you change the caliber, barrel lenght, what ever, I was under the impression that a simple notice sent to the BATFE about the change is all that was required.

is that not the case for a suppressor?

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I've just kind of equated it to not being able to modify whatever has the Serial # attached to it.

I was wondering the same thing. HTA has a different design then most you could change it and not change the serialized part. Someone should write a letter to tech branch and see what they say.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012

Hold on there sir, I never said HTA crappy. What I did say for what the can was sold to me as was a waste of money. I even mentioned I don't want to bad mouth this company. When I purchased the can it was attached to a 300blk weapon and the rep said it worked great with that round. It is what it is and the willingness to look at the can was great customer service. Now like I've mentioned before this can was a waste of my time based off the application I was intending it for, but the silver lining is I gained a can for draco SBR project. If I offended you or upset you in anyway it wasn't intended. Like I stated in earlier posts it's a well made can but for what I wanted it for it won't work. I appreciate you replying to a forum post because I can bet I wouldn't hear from a bigger manufacturer. I'll toss the can on my draco and move on from there unless there really was an issue (outside of the small end cap strike please pm me for payment info on that) I appreciate your time.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Curious about a couple of things on this -

What is the barrel length? And what was the temp outside when you went to the range?

I've read a couple of people complaining that the Remington 220 subsonic is not subsonic when the temp is below 40 degrees or so. From testing, this ammo is just barely subsonic and if the temp is low and/or the barrel is 16+ inches long it would not be a surprise if you get a muzzle crack on every pull.

10.5 in barrel, the temps were right around 43* I brought those factory loads and loads I've chrono'd at 960 fps in 65* weather. Steve responded to an email he received from his dealer with in minutes and wanted to fix this issue. It isn't the right can for what I wanted not much I can change and I plan on living with it and buying an actual .308 can.

Top Bottom