• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    They scanned my cat the other day (classical reference) and found a 6mm stone on my left side.

The pain's not horrible, but the nausea that came along with it was no joke. I've been drinking water like it's going out of style and hoping the thing will pass before the alternative comes into play.

I promise I will never make jokes about kidney stones again. Can't help but feel this is poetic justic. :lmfao:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Man I feel for you. I've fortunately never had to deal with them, I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day, might help - can't hurt.

I've always wondered if a few shots of CLR wouldn't clear things up.

(sorry to make light of your affliction, hope it passes painlessly soon)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man I feel for you. I've fortunately never had to deal with them, I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day, might help - can't hurt.

I've always wondered if a few shots of CLR wouldn't clear things up.

(sorry to make light of your affliction, hope it passes painlessly soon)
    I read CLR as CLP at first. I was thinking that the lubricating effect might help. :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have had a few some of the worse pain I ever had. I feel for you.
    Yep, similar here, luckily I was able to pass the ones I've had that caused pain a few years ago (though x-rays show I've got more, I haven't felt them).

My doc had me quit caffeine and I drink water, Sprite, lemonade, etc (said the citric acid can help keep them from forming). There can be multiple causes for them I guess depending on what a particular person's stones are comprised of. They also wanted me to cut sodium, but that's a tougher thing for me than the caffeine was.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    (said the citric acid can help keep them from forming).
    I typically drink 2 - 2 1/2 cups of coffee in the mornings these days (down from a full pot plus a cup), but I drink iced tea with just a few squirts of lemon juice throughout the day. I've never had kidney stones (knock wood), but I wonder if the lemon juice is helping? I drink milk every day too, so I know I'm getting calcium intake.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I typically drink 2 - 2 1/2 cups of coffee in the mornings these days (down from a full pot plus a cup), but I drink iced tea with just a few squirts of lemon juice throughout the day. I've never had kidney stones (knock wood), but I wonder if the lemon juice is helping? I drink milk every day too, so I know I'm getting calcium intake.
    In some people excess calcium can actually cause them from what I understand.

I also understand some folks are much more prone to form stones than others. Part of the caffeine thing is that it's actually a diuretic and can cause dehydration that can contribute to stones, from what I understand.

Seems like a good bit of it is body chemistry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In some people excess calcium can actually cause them from what I understand.

I also understand some folks are much more prone to form stones than others. Part of the caffeine thing is that it's actually a diuretic and can cause dehydration that can contribute to stones, from what I understand.

Seems like a good bit of it is body chemistry.
    I'm actually on a diuretic for blood pressure. And the excess calcium thing I knew about. So I'm doing things that are both bad and good for me with regards to forming stones. I am a mystery wrapped in an enigma. :lmfao:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was told, it's the things that combine with the calcium.
    When they cut people back on calcium, they started suffering from osteoporosis.
    So, there's a list of things to stay away from, if they're calcium stones.

Only things on the list I had to worry about was.. dark colas, and chocolate.
    I can have clear sodas.

I was pretty successful in eliminating them.
    Until I got cocky.
    I was eating 1 candy bar a month, and 1 can of a cola.

Then I started getting a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper with my pizza.
    And I ate all my Halloween candy in 2 days.

2 Christmases ago, I went to the hospital with BAD kidney stones.
    And I spent a week or so living in my bathroom.

I went back to no colas and chocolates.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I passed my first kidney stone when I was working.

I was in the basement of the court house pissing into a urinal when it happened. I screamed so loud that my coworker heard me 2 floors up and came running.

He said I was white as a sheet of paper and looked like I was going to pass out. I almost did.

I’ll tell ya what. It’s a boy is apt.

It felt like I gave birth.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was told, it's the things that combine with the calcium.
    When they cut people back on calcium, they started suffering from osteoporosis.
    So, there's a list of things to stay away from, if they're calcium stones.

Only things on the list I had to worry about was.. dark colas, and chocolate.
    I can have clear sodas.

I was pretty successful in eliminating them.
    Until I got cocky.
    I was eating 1 candy bar a month, and 1 can of a cola.

Then I started getting a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper with my pizza.
    And I ate all my Halloween candy in 2 days.

2 Christmases ago, I went to the hospital with BAD kidney stones.
    And I spent a week or so living in my bathroom.

I went back to no colas and chocolates.
    I think I'm safe then. I don't drink colas and I very rarely eat chocolate and it has to have nuts or peanut butter in it... :):

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    The first couple I had the pain was in my lower back in the kidney area the next two the pain was in the front almost around my navel area. The first and fourth time I went to the ER because the pain was so severe. About 5 years ago I felt what I thought was another stone coming on the pain was severe in the same place as the last couple and I said I will muster through this. After a couple of days the pain went away and I told my wife I must have passed the stone about 10 hours in the middle of the night the pain came back with a vengeance. I sat on the couch for the next 2 days in pain, my wife trying to get me to go to the ER, I said I just need to pass this stone. On the third day I went to the ER, well I was having appendicitis. The ER doc asked me when the pain went away, I told him 3 days ago, he said that is when your appendix ruptured and you are hours from dying. Emergency appendectomy and 13 days in the hospital trying to get the infection out of me. So I no longer try to diagnose myself when I comes to these things.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I am a 7 time loser to kidney stones. 3 times had to be hospitalized. I once went to the ER and told the nurse who came to collect a urine sample I was peeing blood, she said "We'll wait for the lab to tell us if you are." When she collected my urine it looked like tomato juice. I was admitted pretty quick. That one stuck half way between my kidney & bladder and they went in to remove it. Felt like a knife in my back.

Another nurse told me that every man should have a kidney stone at least once in their life so they would realize how painful child birth is. I can't type here what I told her.

Last time I passed one they did lithotripsy to break up other stones still in my kidney. I felt like I peed sand for about 3 days.

Kidney stones are not fun. They are usually not life threatening, but they feel like it.

My condolences to anyone who has had a kidney stone and to those around you while you feel like the movie alien creature is trying to crawl out of you.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Still think 9mm won’t do the job?

I feel for ya man. I’ve never seen my dad tear up, but when he got a kidney stone he crawled to the bathroom. Hope you get it passed soon.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm actually on a diuretic for blood pressure. And the excess calcium thing I knew about. So I'm doing things that are both bad and good for me with regards to forming stones. I am a mystery wrapped in an enigma. :lmfao:
    Funny thing is urologist put me on a diuretic as well. Must do its work differently than caffeine or something. Never 100% understood the avoid caffeine, here's a diuretic pill, but apparently it works.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I feel your pain. Had a round with a 5mm stone in my right kidney, two years ago. The pain is indescribable. I've always heard that it won't kill you, you'd just wish it would. The urologist told me to mix in some lemon juice with water to help keep it clear. Good luck.

Top Bottom