• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Once the intruder is outside. You have problems.
    Inside in the back. You better be ready to have a very good reason.

Remember they have more and better and payed by tax payers lawyers.
    They can get money from you. You can never get compensation from them.
    You wound them. The tax payer rewards them with free hospital care.
    LaPorte Sheriff arrested a man for MINOR crime.
    It immediately cost tax payers $100,000.00 in medical bills.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So many people think shooting a gun is like on TV, where the bullet just magically disappears if they miss their mark. Unfortunately in real life unless the fleeing car is hit, which is a bad shoot to start with, that bullet might go through a house and do harm to some very innocent person. Many people don't take into account what is behind what they shoot at, and a miss in open land with any upward arc can go for more than the movies where the bullet vanishes into never-never land.

Many years ago I remember a story about someone who was injured by a .22LR round that was fired from a mile away.

I hope the police are nice to the "Lafayette man" and give him the option of going to a class to learn to see beyond what he is shooting at.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So many people think shooting a gun is like on TV, where the bullet just magically disappears if they miss their mark. Unfortunately in real life unless the fleeing car is hit, which is a bad shoot to start with, that bullet might go through a house and do harm to some very innocent person. Many people don't take into account what is behind what they shoot at, and a miss in open land with any upward arc can go for more than the movies where the bullet vanishes into never-never land.

Many years ago I remember a story about someone who was injured by a .22LR round that was fired from a mile away.

I hope the police are nice to the "Lafayette man" and give him the option of going to a class to learn to see beyond what he is shooting at.
    You just described the accidental shooting of Dwayne Wade's cousin in Chicago last summer. She was walking her kids home from school.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Happens more often than you know. People don't think ahead, they decide to shoot late and to not shoot late due to OODA loop issues, reptile brain thinking, etc.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I can't say that I would have reacted differently under the circumstances, but that guy has a problem unless the home invader as driving at him or pointing a weapon. I know castle doctrine stops at the door (or patio if that is "curtilage") and self-defense statutes apply when Castle Doctrine does not. Hopefully a day like the guy in Lafayette had never comes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One good reason to stop your anger from taking over your thought process.
    Bad shoot, even if it's easy to see why he did it.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Once the perp leaves my home, unless he has something of mine, fingers off the trigger. Maybe a warning shot into the ground next to me if I don't think hes moving fast enough...

Along the lines of what Old pink said, I think to many of these bad shots are being taken in anger, and anger should never play a part in any kind of gun play.

That's pretty nuts about the 1 mile .22 shot. I found an old (70's) box of Federal .22 short that has "Warning: Effective range 1 mile" printed on the close tab. I scoffed. Maybe I should be taking that a little more serious...

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    "Once the perp leaves my home, unless he has something of mine, fingers off the trigger." <----This is correct!

"Maybe a warning shot into the ground next to me if I don't think hes moving fast enough..." IMO .. This might/could get turned around,( in this crazy world) ,and not look good.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    "Once the perp leaves my home, unless he has something of mine, fingers off the trigger." <----This is correct!

"Maybe a warning shot into the ground next to me if I don't think hes moving fast enough..." IMO .. This might/could get turned around,( in this crazy world) ,and not look good.

IANAL but I'm not sure that's kosher...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Once the perp leaves my home, unless he has something of mine, fingers off the trigger. Maybe a warning shot into the ground next to me if I don't think hes moving fast enough...

Along the lines of what Old pink said, I think to many of these bad shots are being taken in anger, and anger should never play a part in any kind of gun play.

That's pretty nuts about the 1 mile .22 shot. I found an old (70's) box of Federal .22 short that has "Warning: Effective range 1 mile" printed on the close tab. I scoffed. Maybe I should be taking that a little more serious...

What if he has something of yours? If he's running empty handed or running with a television in his hands, does that change the equation for lethal force? (Hint: No.)

Warning shots? (Hint: No.)

Anger doesn't play as much as you'd think. If you ask them why they shot, they typically can't tell you. It's not an emotional response in the way of conscious emotion for the most part, it's a lack of conscious thought letting the lizard brain take over. Something fleeing is prey, and is psychologically more appealing to attack.

Chris S

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    Chesterton
    if firing in safe direction and not far from vehicle, i would put a few holes in it so the police could find it easier. I don't think the police would have much trouble with that. They like to catch the bad guy. Obviously, doing it safely in a uncontrolled situation is the question. I have thought of so many scenarios and what if's, but if I am ever in a situation where my gun is in my hand, I am sure things won't go quite as planned. Adrenaline alone will affect the entire out come. Police train all the time and things don't go the way plan all the time.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    if firing in safe direction and not far from vehicle, i would put a few holes in it so the police could find it easier. I don't think the police would have much trouble with that. They like to catch the bad guy. Obviously, doing it safely in a uncontrolled situation is the question. I have thought of so many scenarios and what if's, but if I am ever in a situation where my gun is in my hand, I am sure things won't go quite as planned. Adrenaline alone will affect the entire out come. Police train all the time and things don't go the way plan all the time.

You might want to re-evaluate your assumption. You'll not get happy cops on shooting at the vehicle.

Top Bottom