• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have worn glasses/contacts since the 5th grade, and my eyes have only gotten worse. I am now 25 and can't see anything without my contacts in. When I say "can't see anything" I mean that I would need to sit about 8 inches away from the monitor for the text to not be blurry. I don't have a pair of glasses as the last pair I purchased just didn't work out for me.

Normally, I wouldn't mind needing to rely on contacts or glasses. However, I cannot sleep in my contacts and I don't have a pair of glasses. My concern is that if something were to happen while I am sleeping, not only would I be vulnerable, but I could also be a threat by not being able to see clearly. I wouldn't be able to see at all, throw in the darkness, and I would be up that proverbial creek.

This brings me to the title of the thread. Laser Eye Surgery. Has anyone here had it done? What is your opinion? Any place to stay away from? Any recommendations? Any ballpark idea on the cost? I have never looked into it, but I wanted to ask so I knew what I would be getting myself into when I pursued it further.

TIA. :patriot:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, I have perfect vision, so I can't say from personal experience, but I have several friends who have went to Dr. David Malitz and were absolutely stunned with the results.

One of my buddies couldn't read the "E" on the eye chart, and basically has 20/20 vision now.

BTW, David is in Evansville.

I'm not sure how much they paid, but the commercials say it "start at" $299 per eye, but I'm sure it drastically varies depending on how bad your eyes are.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Well, I have perfect vision, so I can't say from personal experience, but I have several friends who have went to Dr. David Malitz and were absolutely stunned with the results.

One of my buddies couldn't read the "E" on the eye chart, and basically as 20/20 vision now.

BTW, David is in Evansville.
    I figure this should be #1 on my list of preparations. What good is having guns and ammo if you can't see to shoot them?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I did it

I figure this should be #1 on my list of preparations. What good is having guns and ammo if you can't see to shoot them?

You are quite correct, a person dependent on glasses or contacts can easily become incapacitated without them.

I had 20/400 vision. I did research, selected Dr. Maurice John (John-Kenyon Eye Institute) in Louisville based on his experience and equipment.

I had ASA rather than the typical flap. After 6 months, I had 20/15 in left eye, 20/30 in right. I could get the right tweaked, but it serves me for closer stuff.

Would I spend $4000 out of my pocket to do it again? YES. It is almost like a miracle how I can see unaided.

Some people to have problems and complications, but most are successful.
    Pass along any specific questions you might have.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo had it done several years ago. she still has some slight starring at night, but she'll be the first to say she'd do it again.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Spasmo had it done several years ago. she still has some slight starring at night, but she'll be the first to say she'd do it again.
    Honestly, given how bad my eyes are now, I would be content with still needing to wear a mild set of contacts/glasses if they were required.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have worn glasses since I was in 2nd grade. I am now 26. I was in more or less the same boat as my vision was horrible. To give you and idea of how bad it was, I couldn't make out details on my hand when it was strechted out in front of me (I don't mean fingerprints, I mean things like whole fingers) and I couldn't read newsprint unless it was about 6" from my nose without my glasses. The lenses were pushing "coke bottle" thickness and weighed a lot due to the thick lenses.

Sooooo I got Lasik just after Christmas last year. 6 months later, I LOVE it. I see just as good as I did with my then new prescription glasses. It took me a while to break myself of many of the habits I had formed, such as taking my glasses off after turning off the TV to go to bed and looking down while walking through the rain to avoid getting water on my glasses.

I had vision insurance at the time, while it wasn't technically "covered", they did have contracted special pricing with the insurance company which knocked the $4000 price down to about $3500.

I went to Lasik Plus at Keystone at the Crossing (their office is behind Benihana). I highly recommend them and the surgeon definately knew what he was doing. They usually give you a free eye exam which serves two purposes, 1. to see if you are a canidate (not everybody is a good choice for Lasik) and 2. allows you to see their facility and meet their staff. They also supposedly have a interest free financing option (I think for 12 months) if that will work better for you.

bmemily

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Southern IN
    I had LASIK done at Pankratz Eye Institute in Columbus, In. I would definitely do it again and recommend it to others. I can see 20/20 in both eyes now. The cost was about $3000.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have been thinking of this lately too. I think i will wait until im a little older though. I hate having to put contacts in every morning.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    My brother had it done a few months ago and everything has been fine. He had a negative reaction to the medicine they gave him and he had a small seizure. They made him go to the hospital even though hes a medic and stuff like this has happened before to him i guess. Then he went back later that day and got the other eye done :)

I wouldn't mind having this done with the career path Im taking. Cant really have classes in the way (i cant do contacts) and i need to see :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My prescription change has slowed. I'm planning it when it gets close to stopping the change. I've got astigmatism and blew past 20/400 a while ago. I'm about a foot away from the monitor to read it, without glasses.

Top Bottom