• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    As a civilian I wouldn't bother with a laser or any other gadgets on a carry gun. Your not likely to have time to use it and may not use your sights either. Thats why practicing until you have good muscle memory is so important.

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I dont have one on mine but my brother has one on his glock 23 that he carries. I dont see the need for one but if I came across a good deal on one, I cant say that I would turn it down. If you need to draw your carry weapon, you probably are not shooting more than 7-10 yards and really shouldnt need the laser but Im sure there are people who will disagree with that.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It has its pros and cons like anything else I guess. I personally don't like them on carry weapon because IMO if you train with it you could become dependent on it. Lasers fail...and last thing I want in a high stress situation where seconds matter is to be dependent on something that's not working. Again that's just my opinion...they do have some good pros as well just not enough for me to have it on my carry weapon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like them for a couple of reasons.

1) Training tool. You can see where in your trigger pull you are flinching or pushing the gun VERY easily with a laser on.

2) Helps overcome short sight radius and improve accuracy on snubbies or other short barreled firearms. These guns are not inherently inaccurate, and a laser will greatly extend the effective range for the average shooter.

3) Can be aimed when injury prevents you from getting a proper sight picture.

I've got a laser grip on my 1911. It comes on when you grip the gun, so no time is required to activate. When I carried it I practiced with it on and off. Much like any optics, you need to practice with irons as well, just in case.

Yes, it might your position away, but my understanding is we're talking a defensive carry weapon. If I'm defending myself, most likely the person I'm defending against knows I'm there. If it is some odd situation like an active shooter where I'm waiting in ambush, its no more difficult to deactivate it than it is to flip a manual safety on or off.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If I ever bought one, I would probably go for a green one. But most being sold are the low powered 5mw ones. I use to have a 50mw green laser pointer, I know the same company sold lasers for rifles and handguns as well. A solid green beam that goes for miles is pretty cool. They are fairly expensive though. I would want one that is at least 150-500mw.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    As far as a laser on a carry gun, in my opinion i dont think they would be beneficial all that much due to tthe limited amount of time you have to draw on your threat in most cases. As a home defense gun i think they are extremely helpful especially at night. You wake up and hear someone in your house you wouldnt want to throw on the lights and give up the element of surprise, plus if it is dark it would be somewhat difficult to use regular sights in the dark. Just my opinion though

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra. Its a great intimidation tool, but I found it to be very foreign feeling when I tried to use it to shoot a target. Having trained to use my sights, the laser just didn't feel right. Anyone else ever had that experience?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As far as a laser on a carry gun, in my opinion i dont think they would be beneficial all that much due to tthe limited amount of time you have to draw on your threat in most cases.

They come on when you grip your firearm, much like the deactivation of a grip safety it requires no extra steps in your presentation.

LaVistaBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Marion Co.
    Laser Sight

I have Crimson Trace laser sights on my two favorite concealed carry guns. They activate when you grip the gun, so you don't have to think about switches or buttons, they
    0 allow you to concentrate on target ID, and the red dot appearing on the bad guy's K-zone is one helluva intimadator. If the laser doesn't work, go to the sights...

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I've got one on a Kahr CW40. I think they are useful in the ultra compacts with short sight radius. I don't think they are very useful on larger framed pistols.

They also serve as an additional deterrant in a limited set of circumstances.

If you don't like them, don't use them. But please don't insult those that find them useful.

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I would like to attach and carry my 9 with the laser, but I do not have a holster that would accommodate it. Does anyone have any suggestions for one? Thanks.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Maybe....but DEFINITELY ON SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!

Z

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw[/ame]

Z

Top Bottom