• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was in Ft Wayne over New Years. Man it's changed a lot. Many areas are unrecognizable.

Yup. Downtown for the better; it's actually a place you want to be. There's good shopping, good restaurants, good parking, it's clean...

Of course, there's parts of town (SE) that are still pretty shady; we hit a record number of homicides last year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I thought that the majority of the tax paying public would be able to pay their bill, I'd agree with you.
    Couple that with making the bills due on Sep 30, just before election season.

Sad fact is that unless the money is stolen before it's received, it won't be paid as it's already been spent...

I know you're right...but some​ people have to file on a regular, say, quarterly basis without any withholding and manage to pay their "fair share" (and a couple of leaches fair shares too) on time and in full. These people know just how horrible the tax situation is.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If I had my way, everyone would get their full paychecks and have to write a check (or money order) for what they owe- no refunds.

Pay their taxes, each month, just like they do their phone and electric bill.
    Make them see where their money is going.
    Withholding just hides it.

One bill for Federal, one for State, and one for local/county.

And no more fees/licenses/etc.
    Each entity (Fed/State/Local) get's the one monthly tax. EVERYTHING must be on it.
    No more school book rentals.
    No more driver's license fee.
    Etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pay their taxes, each month, just like they do their phone and electric bill.
    Make them see where their money is going.
    Withholding just hides it.

One bill for Federal, one for State, and one for local/county.

And no more fees/licenses/etc.
    Each entity (Fed/State/Local) get's the one monthly tax. EVERYTHING must be on it.
    No more school book rentals.
    No more driver's license fee.
    Etc.

I like pay-per-use.

Otherwise, those that pay no income taxes pay no taxes on those things.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd like to see a reasonable flat rate, no deductions, pay your own taxes, monthly. No more payroll deductions. No more tax returns. No more refunds. You grit your teeth as you fill out the tax check each month, and remember how painful that was when you're in the voting booth.

I've often wondered what the effect would be on elections if instead of April 15th, the filing deadline were October 31st.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    People start realizing they are writing checks (or paying online) for huge amounts, they might start thinking big government is not such a good idea.

The problem is that those that think it's a good idea never pay income taxes, instead they get a fat refund. So in your scenario, each month they would receive a check.

Maybe each month they should be sending us a thank you card, or at least a card on father's day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The problem is that those that think it's a good idea never pay income taxes, instead they get a fat refund. So in your scenario, each month they would receive a check.

Maybe each month they should be sending us a thank you card, or at least a card on father's day.

I know plenty that pay taxes, yet think big government is a good idea.
    But, with withholding, it's more hidden from them. They never really see it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Most refunds are just people getting their own money back from withholding. No withholding, no refund.

...and use of the term "returns" when "refunds" is what is meant in the title (even the first post gets this right)...continues to grate on me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Along with that, since we're changing things up, let's just eliminate tax credits and deductions. Make the tax rate reasonable, like 7% across the board, and if the government can't live on that reasonable rate, well, they just don't get to do as much as they want.

But along with that, I'd like to see the PYMWYMI tax system. Let's get back to constitutional spending. Anything else, if you want it, YOU pay for it. You want midnight basketball, you add the amount you want to donate to your tax bill, and write the check each month. You want single payer health care, you write the check to pay for it. Put YOUR money where your mouth is. (rhetorically "your")

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I am pretty sure the reason for this delay is that people buy Social Security numbers and such online and then file a fake return on people with children claiming a small amount of hobby or other income to get the child tax credit and/or EIC.

This happened to my wife a couple of years ago. Someone filed a return with her information and two of our children's information claiming hobby or other income to get the child tax credit. My return was then rejected and I believe I finally got my refund around September of that year after much pain and misery. The IRS had no interest in actually investigating or prosecuting and were uncooperative with local law-enforcement.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I use Turbo Tax am I missing something?

The joy and satisfaction of using pencil and paper. :dunno:

ETA:
    In the past I've used an Excel spreadsheet that when printed looked close enough to the 1040 to print and mail in. Last year was the first year that I filed electronically, only because I had the software as part of VITA.

This year the IRS has switched to TaxSlayer Pro; I'll give my opinion in April...

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most refunds are just people getting their own money back from withholding. No withholding, no refund.
    Many of my clients get back way more than they've every had withheld, as such a Father's Day card would be nice gesture.

...and use of the term "returns" when "refunds" is what is meant in the title (even the first post gets this right)...continues to grate on me.
    THIS.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This happened to my wife a couple of years ago. Someone filed a return with her information and two of our children's information claiming hobby or other income to get the child tax credit. My return was then rejected and I believe I finally got my refund around September of that year after much pain and misery. The IRS had no interest in actually investigating or prosecuting and were uncooperative with local law-enforcement.
    Does she have an Identity Protection PIN now?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yep. IRS fraud is about a $50 billion problem a year, yet we still keep it around

they hit local doctors a few years ago. Many of my partners had the same thing happen. IRS doesn't care. Most tax fraud is at the low end, not high end. Low end filers don't get audited and they know it

I am pretty sure the reason for this delay is that people buy Social Security numbers and such online and then file a fake return on people with children claiming a small amount of hobby or other income to get the child tax credit and/or EIC.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If I had my way, everyone would get their full paychecks and have to write a check (or money order) for what they owe- no refunds.

...ouch...
    The people would riot and burn dc if this occurred.
    If people actually saw the REAL amount of taxes that get taken each paycheck they would be real pissed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm already pissed.

Yeah but you dont count. You are a member of a gun,website which by defintion means you are pissed. :)

Im talking about mcd worker 1 or walmart worker 2 or ironsteel worker. All those mindless workers that work and wait for tax season to get that fat refund, money back, when if they had,to send a quaterlt check,to the irs and,really see how much is,going to .gov they would open,up their eyes and be real pissed.

Top Bottom