Leather OWB 1911 Holster with no Flop???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Ok, so my dad wears his 1911 in a leather thumb break OWB belt holster at the farm. It's not terribly old, but it flops horribly. It probably hangs 25-30 degrees pointing toward his hip because the holster is so U-shaped hanging from the belt loops. Of course all the sweat and such doesn't help.

I'm pretty sure he runs it in leather so kydex doesn't scratch/wear on the finish, but are there any OWB holsters where the part that touches the pistol is leather and has a thumb break, but the structure is kydex?

He has an MTAC IWB that he carries in public most of the time, but carries OWB on the farm for the sweat.

Aside from that, assuming I can get him to wear kydex, what is a good thumb break kydex OWB holster that's stable?

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited:

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I actually just found these, which have the option of suede inside them, and a thumb snap. I'm open to any other options, though!

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I can attest to both of the holster brands mentioned above. Kramer is my favorite for IWB but you have to wait and they are not cheap. Well worth the money and wait time. Order one now and it might be ready for a Christmas present.

Front line holsters are functional, no wait and cheap. I have several of the KNG model. You can get them from Double Alpha.

No holster will fix a flopping setup though without a good belt. Here is an EDC belt thread with lots of good recommendations.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I can attest to both of the holster brands mentioned above. Kramer is my favorite for IWB but you have to wait and they are not cheap. Well worth the money and wait time. Order one now and it might be ready for a Christmas present.

Front line holsters are functional, no wait and cheap. I have several of the KNG model. You can get them from Double Alpha.

No holster will fix a flopping setup though without a good belt. Here is an EDC belt thread with lots of good recommendations.

Yeah, he uses a good gun belt. I was down there today and meant to get a picture of it. The loops/holster are just stretched badly.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Sounds as though his isn't a Pancake style. He could stay with leather and get a Pancake w/ thumb strap and I don't that it would flop.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Milt Sparks 55BN is what you seek, double thick leather opening reinforced with metal. Leather is hand molded so it fits like kydex so absolutely no need for thumb break.

GSQS5AE.jpg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    That Milt sparks is a fine rig. I have used Galco, Bianchi, DeSantis, and all live up to their name.
    If I carried my 1911 more, I would order a Milt Sparks in a minute. The thread also said good belt. So true, and don't forget a spare mag carrier! Single or dual would work.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    One issue with the lack of a thumb break is like when he sits down on the tractor or zero turn and the armrest pushes up on the grip, or when moving brush or whatever and the same thing happens.

There's also the fact that he's carried in either a retention-less holster or a thumb break for the last 50 years that he's been an adult, so changing to a different type of active retention like a SERPA trigger or some other actuation that's not a thumb break, I don't see that going over well at his age.

The kydex with thumb break that I posted above turns out to be in Israel, their website doesn't work well, and I can't actually figure out if they make a 4" 1911 holster or not (they show a 3 and a 5, but the menus are all messed up, so who knows). Of course, they only return emails every couple days, and answered one side question last time without actually answering the main question above whether they even make one for the 4"/4.25"...

Top Bottom