• ...and so much more!
  • Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Anyone have any knowledge about using this thing reliably? Figured I’d ask before I take a sledge hammer to it and put it in the trash.

I use one for most of my pistol reloads. It's kind of finicky but once everything is set I rarely have issues with it. Just don't try to go fast, slow and steady works the best. I don't reload thousands at a time, only a few hundred. I did deep six their bullet feeder and use an RCBS bullet feeder instead. I also use the auto drum powder dispenser instead of the auto disk.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have had 2, had no luck with either one, main concern i had was a primer would go bang on occasion, had the explosion shield on both, i am strictly all dillon now, a auto 1050, and 2 550's. also have single stages of different brands too. I have a lee turret i use also no issues with it.

Chewie

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have had 2, had no luck with either one, main concern i had was a primer would go bang on occasion, had the explosion shield on both, i am strictly all dillon now, a auto 1050, and 2 550's. also have single stages of different brands too. I have a lee turret i use also no issues with it.

I've never had an issue with primers going boom. I'd like to have dillon but on my budget and cash flow to much $$ for what I reload.

Last edited:

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    I use one for most of my pistol reloads. It's kind of finicky but once everything is set I rarely have issues with it. Just don't try to go fast, slow and steady works the best. I don't reload thousands at a time, only a few hundred. I did deep six their bullet feeder and use an RCBS bullet feeder instead. I also use the auto drum powder dispenser instead of the auto disk.
    Thanks, I’m having issues with the case feeder, it keeps breaking, and the primers are either not feeding, or going in sideways.

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    I picked up some good ideas from youtube. Looked at more videos than I care to admit but any problems I had I found answers.
    Yes I think I’m up to 10+ hours of videos, took it apart, cleaned it, lubed (but not too much), then carefully put it back together, now I can run about 4-5 shells before it messes up.

Chewie

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Yes I think I’m up to 10+ hours of videos, took it apart, cleaned it, lubed (but not too much), then carefully put it back together, now I can run about 4-5 shells before it messes up.

Progress!
    I don't deprime on the press, I use a single stage for depriming and sizing. The first step on press I use another sizing die with the decapping pin removed. My second step (priming) i have the case mouth flaring tool.
    3rd is powder drop, 4th is bullet feed, last is seat and crimp. I set all my dies with a feeler gauge (.020) between the base plate and the bottom of the dies with the ram all the way up.
    On the indexing rod if you file a small radius on the inside edge closest to the back of the press and facing the ram (vertical edge of indexer) and just a little grease it really smoothed out the indexing action.
    Like I said it is finicky but once its working it's pretty reliable. I reload 9, 40, and 45 on it currently.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I never liked the way mine primer-ed. I deprime and prime on a single stage(cleaning between the two). As far as case feeding, the black plastic piece on the side is finicky on the screw tension holding it together. Also the "feed ramp" needs wiped clean from time to time as well as the plastic piece that pushes the cases forward. If you don't the case sticks just enough to pull it back .5mm when it retracts and then you crush a case.
    Stick with it. Mine seems to only have 3 or 4 quirks to watch for. Other than that it runs.

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    Progress!
    I don't deprime on the press, I use a single stage for depriming and sizing. The first step on press I use another sizing die with the decapping pin removed. My second step (priming) i have the case mouth flaring tool.
    3rd is powder drop, 4th is bullet feed, last is seat and crimp. I set all my dies with a feeler gauge (.020) between the base plate and the bottom of the dies with the ram all the way up.
    On the indexing rod if you file a small radius on the inside edge closest to the back of the press and facing the ram (vertical edge of indexer) and just a little grease it really smoothed out the indexing action.
    Like I said it is finicky but once its working it's pretty reliable. I reload 9, 40, and 45 on it currently.
    Awesome, I’ll try that.

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    I never liked the way mine primer-ed. I deprime and prime on a single stage(cleaning between the two). As far as case feeding, the black plastic piece on the side is finicky on the screw tension holding it together. Also the "feed ramp" needs wiped clean from time to time as well as the plastic piece that pushes the cases forward. If you don't the case sticks just enough to pull it back .5mm when it retracts and then you crush a case.
    Stick with it. Mine seems to only have 3 or 4 quirks to watch for. Other than that it runs.
    Thank you!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I won one of those at a pistol League. I was very thankful. I am also pretty handy. After fooling with it for a couple of days, I boxed it up really nice, and gave it to the brother in law that I don't like. Then I bought a second Dillon 550B.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I gave up on any Lee press other then their single station's. I started with a turret press, and really the only trouble I had was that I had to keep several of the nylon bushings on hand for the indexing shaft. Sold it and moved to the Load Master when they came out with it. What a piece of S$%t. Sent it back to them twice and finally practically gave it away to a guy that loaded low volume. Both of these presses were from the 90's but it sounds like Lee hasn't improved the reliability any since then. I saved up and bought a Dillon xl650 and couldn't be happier. I have loaded thousands of rounds through it with 0 issues. I currently have quick change setup's for 5 calibers, (which isn't cheap) but very convienent.
    My best advice is to sell it and save up for an XL550 or bigger if you will be loading alot.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have used one for several thousand 9 mm. It does take some adjusting, and still will goof up occasionally. Those usually involve:
    1. Not depriming, though sometimes that's because a Berdan case slips by and pushes the decapping pin up.
    2. Missing priming. A few in every hundred end up sideways, and sometimes there's a failure to feed or to push the primer all the way in.
    3. Case feeder being finicky. Used to be more before I watched some videos.

Station 1 is decapping and case mouth belling, 2 is priming, 3 is powder drop, 4 is bullet feeder/seat and 5 is crimp. I have a small flashlight attached to keep and eye on the process. If there's a problem, it's almost always with stations 1 and 2. Only had a primer ignition once in more than 5000 rounds. Modified the case feeder with a plastic reducer and now it loads cases more effectively and easier.

Still might go blue someday when prices come back down.

Ordieman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Solsberry
    Don't give up on her. I used a Loadmaster for years. It was a little frustrating at first, but with a little patience you can get her to run. Loadmastervideos.com has several good videos that will help you out. Priming can be a pain and I am not a fan of seating the primer on the top of the ram stroke (hard to feel the primer seat with everything else going on) but you can get into a rhythm that will work. I picked up a 550 a few years ago and gave the loadmaster to my son and he has very few complaints also.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I had some issues to begin with but have worked them out. I have a little advice to give. It’s worth what your paying for it. Make sure you pull the handle through it’s entire range of motion paying attention to down and fully up movement. Keep the primer tray at least 1/4 full as that helps them feed. I have also had the most success with CCI primers. Best of luck.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I have 3 Loadmasters, bought them used in '09 and '10. Some can't figure them out and will almost give them away to get them out of their space. I've watched every video I could find up to 10 times picking up a little bit from each for maintenance, adjustments and modification. They are very finicky. One is set up for 38 spl, one for 40 S&W. The case pushers are modified for each. Primer troughs are polished and the shaker is improved. Starting out I was getting average 10 missed or sideways per pack. Now I get about 3 per carton. I gave up on the bullet feed. Between 3 and 4,000 rounds they get torn down, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Then the adjusting starts again. The 3rd is being set up for 223's.
    Case feed, the case sitting in the pusher needs to be no more than 1/64" above the pusher. Next case needs to be no more than 1/64" above it so when it drops onto the pusher it falls no more than 1/32".
    Primer shaker, I added 2 layers of .012" aluminum flashing, taped in place.
    Primer trough, I use silicone spray and finish with a small dremel buffing attachment.

Top Bottom