• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sort of a threadjack but what are your thoughts of carrying only on the ankle? I don't want to carry a BUG, but carrying IWB doesn't always work well for me. This thread got me thinking about just carrying my Shield or buying a small revolver and attaching it to my ankle. I could see how this wouldn't change my pants size or interfere in the ways having gun on my hip does.

Pros?
    Cons?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    JY isn't a cop (any longer) and no longer does cop things. He's not in positions to need to chase after people while wearing a G26 on each ankle.

Nope. He isn't a cop anymore. He just trains a lot of people, does a lot more than stand at a line to shoot and claims to actually wear what I mentioned. I trust his reviews just as much as any of the others.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Decide where/how you'll carry it first. I tried the 27 on the ankle and hated it. It was way too bulky and heavy for down there. I tried the 27 on the vest, for weak hand access and it fit well, but getting through the zipper on my shirt was an issue. I tried the 642 on the ankle (over high top boots) and loved it, that was back in 2010, and I have carried it there every day since. I sometimes go back to the 27 on the vest routine when I wear button shirts in the summer, but the 642 is always on and ready to go.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    .....I have been using a Taurus 85UL, but it is fairly heavy and not very snag-free. (even has a hammer)......

Weight wise your 85UL should weigh in about the same as a G43. The 43's are sweet however. The boy has one if you want to take a look at one. Stop over if you'd like!
    I carried a G27 as a BUG and it sucked. Ankle carry was out of the question (for me at least) and its bulky to be squeezing under a shirt / vest IMO.

If it was me - I'd stick with the Taurus and bob the hammer. Quick work with a dremel tool and you have a snag free BUG and then spend that money on some rifle plates bro! See ya around town!

DWS

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Stick with Glock as a backup. G27 is a good choice but thick. Depends on how you are going to carry it. A G42/43 might slide behind a vest of fit on the ankle better.

Personally I am a big revolver fan.

I have an ankle glove for my air weight 642. I like it. I don't think I would want anything heavier hanging on my leg all day. The G27 is about the same size but heavier then the 642. Everyone is different though and a G27 on the ankle is always an option.

Realistically the option for BUG carry is ankle, off side front pocket or as Gabriel stated in the vest somewhere. probably best to figure out where a person wants to carry the gun.

Decide where/how you'll carry it first. I tried the 27 on the ankle and hated it. It was way too bulky and heavy for down there. I tried the 27 on the vest, for weak hand access and it fit well, but getting through the zipper on my shirt was an issue. I tried the 642 on the ankle (over high top boots) and loved it, that was back in 2010, and I have carried it there every day since. I sometimes go back to the 27 on the vest routine when I wear button shirts in the summer, but the 642 is always on and ready to go.

I like carrying (so far) in my off-side cargo pocket. It's quick to draw and easily accessible to my weak hand. Beats my knee up a little while running, but I do that about as much as I draw my back-up. . . . ;):):

Our uniforms have a button placket with a zipper underneath, so I'm not sure how accessible that would be. Ankle carry is out for me, I just never could get to like it. Worried too much about the gun getting lost, I think. Probably irrational, but hey. . .

I had a chance at a 340PD for $399 two years ago, and I have kicked myself from the moment I left the shop. They are sweet little revolvers.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Weight wise your 85UL should weigh in about the same as a G43. The 43's are sweet however. The boy has one if you want to take a look at one. Stop over if you'd like!
    I carried a G27 as a BUG and it sucked. Ankle carry was out of the question (for me at least) and its bulky to be squeezing under a shirt / vest IMO.

If it was me - I'd stick with the Taurus and bob the hammer. Quick work with a dremel tool and you have a snag free BUG and then spend that money on some rifle plates bro! See ya around town!

DWS

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that 43, sir. I might head over in a bit and see if you are around.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ours are zippered, but yeah, I hear you on losing a place to stash all the other stuff that seems to glom onto my person when I walk out the door.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Naive question: are you allowed to wear a second gun on your belt (assuming you have room for it)?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't think policy forbids it, but yeah, I definitely don't have room for another gun. Plus, I then have two overt firearms that I have to worry about retention for.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm no LEO.

What about the Galco ankle glove? I know James Yeager swears by them and claims to always wear them.

Just a thought.

I had one and hated it. The 26 (at the time , it was a 27) is just too big to carry there. It wasn't hidden at all, either. It looked like I had a brick strapped to my leg under my uniform pants. I know quite a few others that have tried it also with the same results.

I think most everyone I've talked to has resorted to the 42 or 43 sewn into the inside of an outer carrier as I mentioned before. It is what I plan on doing if I can ever make myself buy a 43. I've shot three or four different ones and like them, I just need to get off my ass and buy one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I don't think policy forbids it, but yeah, I definitely don't have room for another gun.

Most of us don't. I have to remove items when we get issued new things that we are required to carry. Now we have outer carriers with molle on the front, so some guys are moving their equipment to the vest. I have one, but I just added more magazine pouches and a tourniquet.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Remember when it was the rage to put the G-26/27 whatever in the pocket of the vest under the trauma plate ?!?
    Talk about "Last Chance".................my G-27 rode in a De Santis Apache for so long on my inside left ankle it just grows on you, a G-43 or even the lil G-42, are OK, as well as the tried and true snubby.
    Whatever works best for you, we had a guy liked a Walther p-08 .9mm in his rear pocket, sat on it and never complained.............................Go Figure?!?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    First off, congrats on being sworn in full time!

We are issued a G22 and a G27 at my dept. I don't carry my 27 as a BUG on duty as I can't think of a good place to carry it. As others have said, it just seems to be too big/heavy to realisitcally have on an ankle IMO. I do, however, carry it off duty IWB with an extra G22 magazine. I picked up a used Kahr CM380 to use as an ankle BUG.. I'm thinking of getting a blue label G43 and using that instead though.. haven't decided. Also thought about going the small lightweight revolver route.

As for policy we are allowed to carry pretty much anything as a BUG/off duty we want as long as we qualify with it.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So I went out and looked around a few gun shops this afternoon.

The G27 is definitely too bulky for me.
    The G42/43 wasn't bad.
    The Ruger LCR was sold out everywhere.
    I really like the Smith and Wesson 442. Liked it a lot.

Top Bottom