• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I went out and looked around a few gun shops this afternoon.

The G27 is definitely too bulky for me.
    The G42/43 wasn't bad.
    The Ruger LCR was sold out everywhere.
    I really like the Smith and Wesson 442. Liked it a lot.

There is a reason why the LCR is sold out -- it's a fantastic little revolver. It's significantly less painful to shoot than a 442 or other j-frame airweight and out of the box the trigger is much better (in my experience). I replaced my 442 with an LCR.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Remember when it was the rage to put the G-26/27 whatever in the pocket of the vest under the trauma plate ?!?
    Talk about "Last Chance".................my G-27 rode in a De Santis Apache for so long on my inside left ankle it just grows on you, a G-43 or even the lil G-42, are OK, as well as the tried and true snubby.

I know guys that carried a backup like that before we went to the outer carriers. I never understood exactly how they intended to get to it if they were in trouble.

I can see carrying a 42 or 43 on the ankle for sure. For me, the 27 was just to big for that.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    G22 is my duty weapon (for now). 95% of my off-duty carry is my G19 AIWB. I have a G43 but I never seem to carry it, why carry that when I conceal my G19 nicely? I wear a 642 on my ankle while on duty. I used to carry a G27 on my ankle for years but when I researched it, I could not find a single shootout where an officer had to deploy their back-up, while in uniform, run the gun empty, then utilized their duty magazine to reload the back-up. Now I am a proponent of carrying guns off-duty that shoot like my duty gun. For training ammo purposes I keep the same caliber. If you buy a G27 (9+1 or 10+1) and add a pinky extension, it is actually the same grip height as a G23 (with 3 or 4 less rounds).

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all of the informed feedback. After shooting and fondling a variety of small handguns, I am pretty sure I will be sticking with a snub nose, for reasons scattered through the thread. Only thing left to determine is which one. Stick with the 85UL or get something new/used? I love the S&Ws, but the QC issues give me pause. I have yet to shoot a LCR, I reckon I need to do that before making a decision.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I replaced my Taurus CIA with a LCR in .357 a bit over 3 years ago. You can see my initial review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

I still love it. I bought a 9mm Shield to possibly take it's place when we transition to 9mm next year, but so far I still shoot the LCR better. That may change as I spend more time with the Shield getting up to speed, but the LCR is a very easy gun to shoot. I'd suggest the slightly larger .357 even if you intend to run .38 ammo. I found it more comfortable than the .38.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks for all of the informed feedback. After shooting and fondling a variety of small handguns, I am pretty sure I will be sticking with a snub nose, for reasons scattered through the thread. Only thing left to determine is which one. Stick with the 85UL or get something new/used? I love the S&Ws, but the QC issues give me pause. I have yet to shoot a LCR, I reckon I need to do that before making a decision.

Revolvers are great, but will it double as an off-duty? If so, I would switch to a higher capacity single stack, but that is just me. I carry a 9mm shield as a backup/off duty with Glock 23/22s being our duty weapons. We will be switching to 9mm glocks down the road. Now if you practice with it a lot and carry more than just one reload off duty, keep the revolver. I've just seen so many officers carry them but never practice with them under legit stress. Also with some active shooter situations officers have found themselves stuck in, it has taken several rounds to drop the BG. The recent release of the mall stabbings shows that happening. I carry my G23 if I have enough layers on and the shield and two larger magazine reloads in the summer.

Just my .02. :) I'm happy to see you are carrying a BUG... that seems to be something not a ton of officers are doing these days.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Revolvers are great, but will it double as an off-duty? If so, I would switch to a higher capacity single stack, but that is just me. I carry a 9mm shield as a backup/off duty with Glock 23/22s being our duty weapons. We will be switching to 9mm glocks down the road. Now if you practice with it a lot and carry more than just one reload off duty, keep the revolver. I've just seen so many officers carry them but never practice with them under legit stress. Also with some active shooter situations officers have found themselves stuck in, it has taken several rounds to drop the BG. The recent release of the mall stabbings shows that happening. I carry my G23 if I have enough layers on and the shield and two larger magazine reloads in the summer.

Just my .02. :) I'm happy to see you are carrying a BUG... that seems to be something not a ton of officers are doing these days.

The only time it will double as off-duty is in "extremely low-likelihood" excursions (I know, you never know) or situations where I dictate concealment is preferable to capacity. Otherwise, I usually just carry my G22 O/IWB. I am a good-size guy, so unless I am wearing dress clothes it disappears pretty well.

We have to qualify with any firearm we carry. It's still a square range, but our quals change every six months to a different variety of shoot/move/reload/transition/whatever for time. Kinda set up like USPSA, but not as many targets/large range area. So, there is that. Not much, but the only other options are standard bench ranges.

The capacity/reload argument is a valid one, and the main reason I have been considering any of the small semi-autos.

I really appreciate the continued discussion.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I replaced my Taurus CIA with a LCR in .357 a bit over 3 years ago. You can see my initial review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

I still love it. I bought a 9mm Shield to possibly take it's place when we transition to 9mm next year, but so far I still shoot the LCR better. That may change as I spend more time with the Shield getting up to speed, but the LCR is a very easy gun to shoot. I'd suggest the slightly larger .357 even if you intend to run .38 ammo. I found it more comfortable than the .38.

Solid review, thank you for that link.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Sounds very good, man. The LCR is a great little revolver. The G27 is a hard pistol to shoot well and quickly given the size and snappy recoil. If I were to go that small, I'd go G26. The chances of you needing "magazine interchangeability" is so rare, I wouldn't even consider it a factor. Invest in good holsters, a good gun belt for off duty use and you'll be set. I like single stacks for the reload speed and the ability to carry more rounds in a smaller overall package.

If you go LCR or the 442, invest in a few speed loaders to carry with it. Good luck!

The only time it will double as off-duty is in "extremely low-likelihood" excursions (I know, you never know) or situations where I dictate concealment is preferable to capacity. Otherwise, I usually just carry my G22 O/IWB. I am a good-size guy, so unless I am wearing dress clothes it disappears pretty well.

We have to qualify with any firearm we carry. It's still a square range, but our quals change every six months to a different variety of shoot/move/reload/transition/whatever for time. Kinda set up like USPSA, but not as many targets/large range area. So, there is that. Not much, but the only other options are standard bench ranges.

The capacity/reload argument is a valid one, and the main reason I have been considering any of the small semi-autos.

I really appreciate the continued discussion.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I tried the G27. On the ankle, pocket carry, SOB-IWB, not for me. Went back to old school 442, w/ boot grips(rubber style). Easier to pocket carry in a Nemisis pocket rig.
    Coat pocket carry for the milk/bread run at 10:00pm, or in my Bianchi Pro IWB((leather with lining, and extended sweat shield). I carry a speedstrip in the opposite pocket.

Like others I had a holster(cheapie UM-removed the clip from IWB)sewn inside my carrier vest. Since it was a revolver holster, it also allowed a few others to fit if desired.

WE also qualled with Duty(Glocks), Off Duty, or backup. I liked the G27, as a CCW, on a standard jean belt, decent rigs also carried G22. Some holsters have an open bottom, so 22/27 is easy.

Snub guns do require some work at the range, but I now stay at the 7-10 yd distance. Don't really see doing a 50 yd protection response. Just me, but full size guns are easier.(sometimes don't like to carry a lot of hardware, especially in summer).
    Good luck whatever choice you make.

mike63502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    While I am not an LEO, I have both the SW 642 and the G43. I find myself carrying a smaller BUG type of gun instead of the mid size. While I like both of them, I find my self leaning more toward the G43 all the time for size and capacity.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yea, we always had to qualify with what we could use off duty or as a BUG at the range, using the same qualification standards as with the duty weapon.

Top Bottom