• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Something that I've always thought was kind of stupid but might come in handy for prepping is those space bags that you compress with the vacuum.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    good ole diesel fuel works great in those lanterns, as well as kerosene heaters and salamanders. since everything is ULSD now theres basically no sulpher. even "off road" diesel is Ultra Low. and its cheaper than K1

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    how about manual wood working, and logging tools. we will have to be able to maintain our homes, shelters, etc. and you cant stuff whole trees into the woodstove or fireplace. good sharp crosscut saws, bow saws, draw knives, chisels, and planes. and the ability to use them properly, and maintain them properly will be invaluable.

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    I include several considerations when I am adding prep items:

1. Who is going to show up that cannot be turned away (Brother, nephew, grandmother, etc)? I always keep extra prep items with this mind including towels, blankets, and hygiene kits. I have been known to keep all of the little shampoo and soaps from hotel visits so I can give each person something of their own when they show up. There are stragners that can be told to leave; but there is always someone who can't be turned away. Prepare for them.

2. How long is it going to last? I try to keep extra hand tools, tarps, duct tape, fasteners, and rigging equipment in the shed, in case something breaks/is broken and no one is getting to a store for a week/month. Think about what you would do if you couldn't leave your neighborhood or property for an extended period of time. Prepare for that.

3. Do I have a spare if my plans change? I like to have redundancy with everything -- you know the old saying, "Two is one, one is none'. That applies as much to snow shovels as it does to rifle mags. Redundancy is key to anxiety-free crisis management.

I don't generally allow myself to prep for specific events, because that is futile. I do try to lump my needs in to scenarios -- what do I do if I can't get out for a week? What do I need if I have unexpected company who won't be able to leave for an extended period of time. For planning, I use a simplified version of the rule of threes.

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    Something that I've always thought was kind of stupid but might come in handy for prepping is those space bags that you compress with the vacuum.

I like those and have some. I vacuum seal many things, because it compresses it, and also gets it out of the way -- it is done. Forgotten about but protected. I like sealing things up.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    "Stupid" was a poor choice of words. :laugh: I was thinking more of the commercials. They act like everyone has closets and closets full of comforters and pillows, because those are the things that compress best. But what you said about sealing things up makes sense too, especially since we're also talking about wool blankets.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in knowing how to make the distinction between hoarder and prepped. I like the prepared mentality and hoard a little by nature... but my wife hates it (the hoarding part) how you make the distinction?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm interested in knowing how to make the distinction between hoarder and prepped. I like the prepared mentality and hoard a little by nature... but my wife hates it (the hoarding part) how you make the distinction?
    Hoarders keep something for the sake of keeping it. Preppers keep something because it serves a purpose and can/will* be used.

*I think many people fall victim to the idea that prepping means putting stuff away and never getting it back out unless and until there's a reason. Preppers don't do that. They rotate their stock and use what they save, replacing as they use. The point is to have enough on hand for an extended time should the normal means of procurement/replacement become unavailable, but you still use what you have. Hoarders wouldn't use it. Preppers do. They just keep more of it on hand.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I see your point 88GT, but my father is very much a hoarder and in his mind each item has or will have or could have a use at some point, regardless of how far fetched you or I would think it to be.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    What is the formula for purifying water? How much of the pool shock equals how much water?
    Depends on which internet source you believe.

Here's one:
    To make a 500 ppm stock solution you add only 1 heaping teaspoon of 65-70% granular CHC to 2 gallons of water. Then you would use about 1 1/4 ounces (2 1/2 tablespoons) of this solution per gallon of water to disinfect it to 5 ppm.
    To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
    Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.
    ¼ teaspoon dry CaClO[SUB]2[/SUB] per 55 gallons

Here's another:
    Step 1: Make bleach
    1 heaping teaspoon of pool shock makes 2 gallons of bleach
    - place 2 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket
    - place 1 heaping *teaspoon* of pool shock into bucket
    - stir into solution thoroughly
    - place funnel into empty 1 gallon bleach container
    - pour 1 gallon out of bucket into bleach container
    - repeat for other bleach container

Now you have made two gallons of normal household bleach that you can use for anything you would normally use bleach for like cleaning, disinfecting etc. Limited shelf life – a month or 2.

Step 2: Use bleach to disinfect water
    - 2.5 *tablespoons* of bleach solution goes into 1 gallon of water for disinfecting
    - stir into solution and wait 30 mins
    - sample taste the disinfected water, if it tastes too strong of chlorine then aerate the water by simply pouring 1 gallon from one container into another a couple times and this will help remove the objectionable taste, if any.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    magnifying glass. Portable, easy way to start a fire if the sun is out. Obviously, lighters, matches, etc. are the preferred method but it may be good to have an alternative.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    how about manual wood working, and logging tools. we will have to be able to maintain our homes, shelters, etc. and you cant stuff whole trees into the woodstove or fireplace. good sharp crosscut saws, bow saws, draw knives, chisels, and planes. and the ability to use them properly, and maintain them properly will be invaluable.

I agree strongly with this. I have began stocking up on "non-power" tools for this reason. It's critical to have a good axe on hand with files, sharpening stones, etc. Even if you don't live in the woods, there is no reason not to be prepared to survive in the woods. I recommend learning how to fell a tree properly, along with splitting rails and cutting beams by hand.

Top Bottom