• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we bugging out, or bugging in? Ive bought a few oil lamps, one "hurricane" lamp, and four or five bottles of oil. I should probably pick up a few extra wicks as well.

20140115_190834_zpsbxjegx2j.jpg

I bought these Deitz Jupiters and a couple of their Air Pilots after last year's sub zero power outages. They share the same wick size. Home Depot has the best pricing on KleanHeat, which I prefer for fuel.

don't buy too much bleach, it does have a short shelf life

Chlorine Bleach Shelf Life

Great info! Time for me to go to the store.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Reading glasses, many pairs. In the case of SHTF I prefer these:

Mag-Safe Full Magnifying Reader Safety Glasses

glasses.jpg

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't keep bleach - use this to make your own, and purify water:
    Amazon.com : Doheny's Super Pool Shock 12 x 1 Lb Bags : Swimming Pools : Patio, Lawn & Garden

And for "feminine hygiene," I had a GF who used these and never had a problem (just had to make sure to rinse often):
    Amazon.com : Natural Sea Silk Sponges - Pack of 12 : Makeup Applicators : Beauty

And you can never have too many lighters:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Cigarette-L...=UTF8&qid=1407161479&sr=8-4&keywords=lighters

Agreed, but I find those lighters arent that dependable. I bought those exact ones and they're fine, but they can break easily. If you hold down the flame button for a few seconds, the spring can pop out of place. I bought the 50 pack, and have been breaking a lighter every week. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IMMIXES?psc=1 might be a better choice, as Bics last forever and never break.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Agreed, but I find those lighters arent that dependable. I bought those exact ones and they're fine, but they can break easily. If you hold down the flame button for a few seconds, the spring can pop out of place. I bought the 50 pack, and have been breaking a lighter every week. Amazon.com: BIC Classic Lighters Cigar Cigarette MAXi Lighter Full Size (5): Health & Personal Care might be a better choice, as Bics last forever and never break.

I keep the Bics for my use and the El Cheapos for barter.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, I did not realize it's shelf life was so short. Sounds like one of those emergency items to add to the list while everyone else is cleaning out the batteries and bottled water. I can purify all the water I need with bleach. I believe a teaspoon will purify a gallon, so a gallon of bleach would purify a lot of water.

Also good tip on the bic lighters, I have had the other ones fall apart often.

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Thanks for the tip, I did not realize it's shelf life was so short. Sounds like one of those emergency items to add to the list while everyone else is cleaning out the batteries and bottled water. I can purify all the water I need with bleach. I believe a teaspoon will purify a gallon, so a gallon of bleach would purify a lot of water.

Like mentioned in an earlier post, you're probably better off storing powdered pool chlorine and not worrying about liquid bleach.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I did check, and they are "military-style" blankets. They are listed as wool in the big print, wool blend in the fine print.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    epinephrine autoinjector pens for you and your kids. Anyone who has been in the military knows they're good for more than just bee stings and peanut butter allergies.

what-epipens-look-like1.jpg

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Just remembered another one:

Lye. Powdered, food-grade Red Devil.

Has lots of cleaning, manufacturing and food-prep uses. Having some handy for short term use could be useful. Also, although lye is pretty easy to make with white ashes, controlling the concentration is problematic. Having a ready supply of dried allows the making of benchmark solutions of known concentration which could be used to calculate a floating hydrometer to test your homemade.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Training family members in First Aid, weapons handling and surviving off the land. Don't be the sole source of knowledge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Has lots of cleaning, manufacturing and food-prep uses. Having some handy for short term use could be useful. Also, although lye is pretty easy to make with white ashes, controlling the concentration is problematic. Having a ready supply of dried allows the making of benchmark solutions of known concentration which could be used to calculate a floating hydrometer to test your homemade.

English man.....English....:):

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

And very good for making hominy from dried corn. If you ever have to rely on corn as a staple food item, that's a more healthy way to eat corn, since you don't get all the nutrients from just ground cornmeal.

Another important part of our preps is a collection of How-To books of various kinds. You-tube is my go-to reference when I want to learn how to do something, but what are you going to do if/when the power goes out? I go to a used book store and pay very little for lot's of good reference books. Gardening, canning, first aid, chemistry, you name it.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    And very good for making hominy from dried corn. If you ever have to rely on corn as a staple food item, that's a more healthy way to eat corn, since you don't get all the nutrients from just ground cornmeal.
    Definitely. Field corn to hominy was the primary reason I added lye to the list. Around here, obviously, corn is pretty common. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Soap is something that is not often talked about. Aquaponics is something that seems like it would be good for any type of prepping. You raise fish, use their waste-product to grow crops, use the algae to make Biodiesel, and use the by-product of the Biodiesel to make soap. I saw it on Doomsday Preppers but it was really brilliant and efficient as soap and biodiesel are two things that would be valuable in bartering.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Another important part of our preps is a collection of How-To books of various kinds. You-tube is my go-to reference when I want to learn how to do something, but what are you going to do if/when the power goes out? I go to a used book store and pay very little for lot's of good reference books. Gardening, canning, first aid, chemistry, you name it.

The Indianapolis Library is having a used book sale Friday and Saturday. I usually get a range of topics. Friday will be 1/2 price day (hardback should be a $1 IIRC) and Saturday is $7 a bag day. ALL the books you can fit in one of their bags will run you $7. Last time I went I got over 30 books for $14. I have quite the collection thanks to them and Goodwill on all kinds of subjects.

Top Bottom