Lets say you have $1200 to build/buy an AR-15. What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Most people these days prefer to run a LPV instead of RDS+Magnifier. A decent red dot + magnifier will be more expensive, heavier, and not as capable as a good low power variable scope.

(Capability meaning usefulness at longer ranges. A RDS + Magnifier doesn't have a ranging reticle, a reticle capable for hold overs, and is no good for dialing shots.)

I do run a RDS on one of my rifles and like it a lot. But if I wanted magnification on that rifle, I'd sell the RDS and get a LPV scope.

Your other option is to get QD mounts that are known to be good at returning to Zero. Bobro, ADM, Larue, and Scalarworks make good ones. That way you can have 2 optics for one rifle. Use a RDS when you want, and a variable power scope when you want. Start out with a good RDS, and when funds allow, add the variable power scope.....Or just get a second rifle as God intended.....when you can afford it in the future.

Am I better off just going with a scope instead of a reddot+magnifier? Sounds like its better to have two rifles one close range and one long range. I'm sure thats the case, unfortunately with the way the funds are I'd rather get one good rifle than two 'ok' ones.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Most people these days prefer to run a LPV instead of RDS+Magnifier. A decent red dot + magnifier will be more expensive, heavier, and not as capable as a good low power variable scope.

(Capability meaning usefulness at longer ranges. A RDS + Magnifier doesn't have a ranging reticle, a reticle capable for hold overs, and is no good for dialing shots.)

I do run a RDS on one of my rifles and like it a lot. But if I wanted magnification on that rifle, I'd sell the RDS and get a LPV scope.

Your other option is to get QD mounts that are known to be good at returning to Zero. Bobro, ADM, Larue, and Scalarworks make good ones. That way you can have 2 optics for one rifle. Use a RDS when you want, and a variable power scope when you want. Start out with a good RDS, and when funds allow, add the variable power scope.....Or just get a second rifle as God intended.....when you can afford it in the future.

This is actually a good way for me to start, If you were in my spot right now would you do a variable power scope or a rds first? The more I read it seems as though it may be better to do a variable first.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I didn't use an RDS until I specifically did a short-range build. A low power variable (1-4) then a higher power (3-9 I think), first.

hammonje

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    RDS for an AR all day. Aimpoint Micro H-1 in a LaRue QD mount. Ain't cheap, but worth every penny. No issues hitting a steel gong at 350M.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Buy or build.... depends on how close to what you want is available. If you want to customize a lot, build it or you'll end up with enough parts to almost build another and it's really cost ineffective. For $1200 you can buy a Bravo Company that's probably 95% your dream rifle.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Or you could buy an Entry level M&P 15, Rock River Arms (insert brand here), buy ammo, Vortex Sparc II, and take a training class :thumbsup:

I think that'd be an excellent use of that budget.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends on what you eventually want to do with your rifle. If your end goal is to have a RDS for ringing steel, home defense, etc... and a variable for punching tiny holes in paper you may want a higher power variable (3-15 or something along those lines). A higher power variable won't make the rifle as handy or fun for plinking, so you may want to go with the RDS first. Alternatively, if you want a lower power variable long term (1-4, 1-6, 2-8, 2.5-10), you may want the LPV before the RDS. Just ask yourself what you want long term, and which you want first. Buy once, cry once. Don't buy something unless you're going to keep it long term. Been there, done that, and wasted a lot of money in the process.

Honestly, though, I'd be perfectly happy if all I had was a good 1-4. They're not quite as good as a RDS at the super close stuff (5-10 yards), but for a do-all rifle, they're awesome. You'll see a lot of 3-gun competitors running them, and for good reason. My favorite rifle is my lightweight 18" with a 1-4 on it. When I go shooting with friends and don't know what kind of shooting we're going to be doing, that's the rifle that I'm bringing. It's smooooth and does everything I need. Great for hunting and ringing steel, which is what I do most. If I were trying to punch tiny holes in paper, I'd take my 2.5-17x scoped AR instead. But it's a pig and I don't like shooting it unless I'm on a bench, prone, or have something to rest it on.....it's just not a handy rifle that's fun for plinking. But that rifle with the 2.5-17x is built for a specific purpose and it does things that the 1-4x scoped rifle does not excel at (mostly making tiny little holes in paper, shooting lolly pops at 200 yards, etc...).

This is actually a good way for me to start, If you were in my spot right now would you do a variable power scope or a rds first? The more I read it seems as though it may be better to do a variable first.

Last edited:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Depends on what you eventually want to do with your rifle. If your end goal is to have a RDS for ringing steel, home defense, etc... and a variable for punching tiny holes in paper you may want a higher power variable (3-15 or something along those lines). A higher power variable won't make the rifle as handy or fun for plinking, so you may want to go with the RDS first. Alternatively, if you want a lower power variable long term (1-4, 1-6, 2-8, 2.5-10), you may want the LPV before the RDS. Just ask yourself what you want long term, and which you want first. Buy once, cry once. Don't buy something unless you're going to keep it long term. Been there, done that, and wasted a lot of money in the process.

Honestly, though, I'd be perfectly happy if all I had was a good 1-4. They're not quite as good as a RDS at the super close stuff (5-10 yards), but for a do-all rifle, they're awesome. You'll see a lot of 3-gun competitors running them, and for good reason. My favorite rifle is my lightweight 18" with a 1-4 on it. When I go shooting with friends and don't know what kind of shooting we're going to be doing, that's the rifle that I'm bringing. It's smooooth and does everything I need. Great for hunting and ringing steel, which is what I do most. If I were trying to punch tiny holes in paper, I'd take my 2.5-17x scoped AR instead. That's what the 1-4 does not excel at.

That makes perfect sense. I was thinking of going with an 18" also.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Mine is an 18" with rifle gas and a rifle buffer system with a 1-4x. It is smoooooth. Definitely my favorite rifle for plinking/range/coyotes.

The 14.5" with collapsible stock gets the RDS and home protection duty, and I don't have problems with IPSC silhouettes at 200 yards with that rifle either... Different builds for different purposes, though. The 18" rifle would be a bit long for use in my home if I ever needed it for that.

If you're going 18", I'd just do a LPV and call it a day. 14.5" and 16" AR's seem to make more sense if you're doing a RDS, but that's just me.

That makes perfect sense. I was thinking of going with an 18" also.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Am I better off just going with a scope instead of a reddot+magnifier? Sounds like its better to have two rifles one close range and one long range. I'm sure thats the case, unfortunately with the way the funds are I'd rather get one good rifle than two 'ok' ones.

Im the optics resource listed above. A 1-? is almost universally better than a red dot with magnifier. 1 unit working as 1 unit is better than 2 units working in conjunction. The exception to this rule is shooting from awkward positions like under cars, etc.

General use really doesnt mean much as my general use is completely different than your general use, etc. We really need min, and max range. Assuming your min range is 5yds, and max range is 500 yds I would look at a 1-4/1-6.

If you min range is 50, and max is 500 I would look at a 2.5-10.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Im the optics resource listed above. A 1-? is almost universally better than a red dot with magnifier. 1 unit working as 1 unit is better than 2 units working in conjunction. The exception to this rule is shooting from awkward positions like under cars, etc.

General use really doesnt mean much as my general use is completely different than your general use, etc. We really need min, and max range. Assuming your min range is 5yds, and max range is 500 yds I would look at a 1-4/1-6.

If you min range is 50, and max is 500 I would look at a 2.5-10.

From everything that I have seen here and your comment, I think the 1-6 is what I want to go with. I cant imagine I would need it for less than 5 yards. And as stated before once money allows I could build a shorter rifle for something like that and an RDS.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just remember, quality glass > a little extra magnification. In order to get into a high quality 1-6, you're going to have to have more money than your budget. However, you can get into a really nice 1-4 inside of your budget.

From everything that I have seen here and your comment, I think the 1-6 is what I want to go with. I cant imagine I would need it for less than 5 yards. And as stated before once money allows I could build a shorter rifle for something like that and an RDS.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just remember, quality glass > a little extra magnification. In order to get into a high quality 1-6, you're going to have to have more money than your budget. However, you can get into a really nice 1-4 inside of your budget.

Ok, so look for a better quality 1-4 than a lower quality 1-6. Any suggestions as far as brands on that? Just so I can compare.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would look at one of these options. I personally run the PST 1-4 on a couple rifles with no thoughts of switching.

VIPER PST 1-4X24 RIFLESCOPE (CAPPED TURRET)

STRIKE EAGLE 1-6X24 RIFLESCOPE

In function you wont notice a ton of diffrenece between 6x, and 4x on the top side. Hypothetically if your shooting 300 yds (long shot for most folks) the 4x scope will make the target appear to be 75 yds away. The 6x scope will make it appear to be 50 yds away.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would look at one of these options. I personally run the PST 1-4 on a couple rifles with no thoughts of switching.

STRIKE EAGLE 1-6X24 RIFLESCOPE

In function you wont notice a ton of diffrenece between 6x, and 4x on the top side. Hypothetically if your shooting 300 yds (long shot for most folks) the 4x scope will make the target appear to be 75 yds away. The 6x scope will make it appear to be 50 yds away.

So just for reference, between the two of those is it better to spend the extra $150 on the 1-4?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    These are what I'd spend my money on (I have a PST and an Accupower). I didn't like the Steiner turrets or the Leupold's illumination controls. But those are personal preferences. Any of these are well worth the money. They will be durable, track well, and have good glass.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4:

Trijicon Accupower 1-4:
    TRI ACCUPOWER 1-4X24 RIFLESCOPE MOA

Steiner P4Xi 1-4:
    Steiner 1-4x24mm P4Xi 30mm Tactical Riflescope 14% OFF | 5201

Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4:
    Leupold 111231 VX R 1.25 4x20mm Riflescope FireDot Circle Reticle

Ok, so look for a better quality 1-4 than a lower quality 1-6. Any suggestions as far as brands on that? Just so I can compare.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have asked questions in the past, but what I'm looking for are specifics. I plan on getting myself a Christmas present this year and wanting to spend around $1200. Pictures would be great!

here is my best advice! "don't wait till Christmas!" in less than a month we choose the next president, if the country picks Donald Trump, we should be fine, if the uneducated masses pick killary then I see a "08 ar rush" all over again!, you know, 8-9 months out on buying an upper, gun stores not having any ar's or mags, and the one's that do have a 600.00 dollar rifle selling for 2400.00...and remember cheaper than dirt's 99 dollar pmags! (not a typo 99.00 dollars)

in 08 and again in 13 (after the newtown tragedy) I had people ask me "how do I buy an ar?" and my reply was always "buy one before everybody wants one"

if the spawn of satan gets elected I see another rush on modern sporting rifles (I correct people who say assault rifle)

Top Bottom