Lets say you have $1200 to build/buy an AR-15. What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, you should probably try to at least get the lower in the next 3 weeks. Sooner the better.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is the lower the more difficult piece of the puzzle if things go down that path?

My mine issue and the reason I was doing this as a Christmas present to myself is due to a bonus I will be receiving.

Is it a good idea to buy a rifle, then change parts out as I come by them? If so what is a recommended rifle to start with? OR better just to build from scratch.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Not counting optics, I would spend the most money and the barrel and trigger then go from there with how much is left over. You can get a regular stripped spikes upper and lower for under 200 bucks. Though as some others have said you might want to move quick on a lower with the upcoming election! Spend money on a good Barrel and trigger as you will get the most improvements out of those upgraded parts.

Last edited:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone here purchased a BCI Defense rifle before? I recently stumbled across one while I was in northern Indiana and they look nice. I like the idea of them being manufactured here also.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I recently picked up a vortex strike eagle for my ar10 and don't have any complaints out of it. Granted, where I purchased the optic didn't have the pst in stock, so I can't really compare the two. If you're on that strict budget, and want to pinch some pennies for another area of the rifle, I don't think you'd be disappointed. You could have the strike eagle, quality mount, and probably a decent trigger upgrade for less than the cost of the pst and mount. Just my 2 cents.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    $1200 budget 4 weeks before presidential election? And looking like a Clinton being voted in? My advice is buy 2 complete PSA rifles. Shoot the irons with one and get acclimated to the platform. Then sell 2nd AR twice the money come January and use that $$ to customize. Win-win

ETA: Primary Arms did have complete Aero Precision rifles for $589

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Is the lower the more difficult piece of the puzzle if things go down that path?

A couple years ago(might of been after the last election), bolt carrier groups dried up for a few months. So I wouldn't put that off either. The lower is the serialized part, so if she wins, plan on Ar's and stripped lowers getting scarce quick.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    For $1200 you can piece together a quality rifle from PSA and have $400+ to spend on an optic. Sign up for their daily deal e-mails and grab a complete lower with your preferred Magpul stock. They range from 160 for MOE to 190 for STR or ACS. I'm not a big fan of standard mil-spec triggers. For $40 you an grab the EPT trigger which is cleaner and under 6lb pull. Next step up would be Velocity which is a great 3 or 4lb drop in around $130. Watch for their CHF upper(or lightweight variation) to go on sale, and choose your own full auto BCG/CH.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    For $1200 you can piece together a quality rifle from PSA and have $400+ to spend on an optic. Sign up for their daily deal e-mails and grab a complete lower with your preferred Magpul stock. They range from 160 for MOE to 190 for STR or ACS. I'm not a big fan of standard mil-spec triggers. For $40 you an grab the EPT trigger which is cleaner and under 6lb pull. Next step up would be Velocity which is a great 3 or 4lb drop in around $130. Watch for their CHF upper(or lightweight variation) to go on sale, and choose your own full auto BCG/CH.

Or $400 to spend on Training

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I would build My rifle again. The upper is all pretty much all BCM,

BCM upper receiver
    BCM BCG
    BCM medium Charging handle ( dont remeber which Mod that is)
    BCM 14.5 inch light weight barrel
    Surefire 5.56 socom break pinned and welding
    Surefire Warden
    Surefire M300 on a BCM keymod mount
    BCM KMR alpha 13 inch
    BCM low pro gas block and gas tube
    Magpul MBUS front a rear
    BCM KAG
    Primary Arms advanced micro dot on a AMD QD mount ( I would probably replace this or have in addition to a 1-4 power optic after messing with this a bit)

The Lower is just a delton stripped lower with a PSA parts kit and some BCM gunfighter stuff and a magpul CTR, I plan to rebuild the lower using a better trigger and what not.

Also have the HSP D3 sling, I would also switch this with the vickers Padded Combat sling, As I've found I only use the 2 point setup because it works.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would build My rifle again. The upper is all pretty much all BCM,

BCM upper receiver
    BCM BCG
    BCM medium Charging handle ( dont remeber which Mod that is)
    BCM 14.5 inch light weight barrel
    Surefire 5.56 socom break pinned and welding
    Surefire Warden
    Surefire M300 on a BCM keymod mount
    BCM KMR alpha 13 inch
    BCM low pro gas block and gas tube
    Magpul MBUS front a rear
    BCM KAG
    Primary Arms advanced micro dot on a AMD QD mount ( I would probably replace this or have in addition to a 1-4 power optic after messing with this a bit)

The Lower is just a delton stripped lower with a PSA parts kit and some BCM gunfighter stuff and a magpul CTR, I plan to rebuild the lower using a better trigger and what not.

Also have the HSP D3 sling, I would also switch this with the vickers Padded Combat sling, As I've found I only use the 2 point setup because it works.

Thats a beautiful rifle. And basically exactly what I want, other than wanting an 18" barrel.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    The most difficult part about this, for me atleast, is not knowing EVERYTHING that I need to purchase. Every time I go to the gun shop to ask about it they are busy so I haven't been able to get a full parts list. So then I think to myself its just easier to buy off the shelf and change a bunch of stuff.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    The most difficult part about this, for me atleast, is not knowing EVERYTHING that I need to purchase. Every time I go to the gun shop to ask about it they are busy so I haven't been able to get a full parts list. So then I think to myself its just easier to buy off the shelf and change a bunch of stuff.

Thank you sir,

And I understand your problem. Unfortunately buying off the shelf and changing everything is just a good way to waste money and end up with a box full of parts you'll never use and wont get your money back from. I don't regret building from he ground up because it allows you to get it right the first time. Id be happy to compile a list of parts that would be needed to build the rifle. Most everything from my rifle I ordered straight from BCM everything else is off primaryarms.com I believe.

The only thing I could imagine being a bit difficult to find is an 18 inch barrel that fits the budget. But then again I've never actually spent too much time looking.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you sir,

And I understand your problem. Unfortunately buying off the shelf and changing everything is just a good way to waste money and end up with a box full of parts you'll never use and wont get your money back from. I don't regret building from he ground up because it allows you to get it right the first time. Id be happy to compile a list of parts that would be needed to build the rifle. Most everything from my rifle I ordered straight from BCM everything else is off primaryarms.com I believe.

The only thing I could imagine being a bit difficult to find is an 18 inch barrel that fits the budget. But then again I've never actually spent too much time looking.

You have no idea how much I would appreciate that!!

If I'm not able to find the 18 inch then I can bump down, that's not a 100% necessity for me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Faxon Gunner at opticsplanet.com is $175 and they have a 11% off going on now with free shipping. That's $155.75 for a kick ass barrel.

You have no idea how much I would appreciate that!!

If I'm not able to find the 18 inch then I can bump down, that's not a 100% necessity for me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Make a spreadsheet and start comparing prices and stuff for lots of different options.
    Parts list:

Lower stripped receiver
    Lower parts kit (grip, trigger guard, trigger, and lots of other parts may be customized)
    Buffer tube / receiver extension kit
    Stock
    Trigger

Upper stripped receiver
    barrel
    bolt carrier group
    charging handle
    forward assist and dust cover kit
    barrel nut and handguard
    Gas block and gas tube
    back up sights

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Make a spreadsheet and start comparing prices and stuff for lots of different options.
    Parts list:

Lower stripped receiver
    Lower parts kit (grip, trigger guard, trigger, and lots of other parts may be customized)
    Buffer tube / receiver extension kit
    Stock
    Trigger

Upper stripped receiver
    barrel
    bolt carrier group
    charging handle
    forward assist and dust cover kit
    barrel nut and handguard
    Gas block and gas tube
    back up sights

You have been a huge help, so I hate to ask more questions...BUT as far as the lower goes...billet or forged? And for the barrel...chrome lined? or no? 1-7 twist or 1-8?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    You have been a huge help, so I hate to ask more questions...BUT as far as the lower goes...billet or forged? And for the barrel...chrome lined? or no? 1-7 twist or 1-8?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

You will pay far more for a billet receiver than a forged and I'm not certain its worth it, Id just get a good standard forged receiver, I wouldn't worry to much on brand either, some may be better than others but they will get you to the same end result, Especially for your purposes.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    You will pay far more for a billet receiver than a forged and I'm not certain its worth it, Id just get a good standard forged receiver, I wouldn't worry to much on brand either, some may be better than others but they will get you to the same end result, Especially for your purposes.

That's what I was curious about. I always hear people saying one is better than the other, since I don't know which is better, I wasn't sure if spending the extra money was worth it. I know in some areas spending extra money is totally worth it.

Top Bottom