• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Hey guys, can you help me out? I drafted this letter to my superintendent, but would appreciate a few other eyes reading it first. I may also wait for a little while to send it. I think if I send it right now, I might come across as being a little impulsive. What do you think?

Dr. ************,

Due to recent local and national events, many people have expressed concern over the safety of our students in and around our schools. As a teacher at ****, I, along with my fellow teachers, are on the front-lines with matters in regard to school safety. A large majority of the public is becoming aware of this and seem to be leaning toward states allowing teachers the right to carry firearms on school grounds, as shown by recent legislative proposals. What many don’t realize is the fact that Indiana laws already allow this.

The ability to defend ourselves and our students against potential threats is a viable deterrent in the battle against school violence. As an Indiana handgun carry permit holder, I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Indiana and carry my handgun everywhere I'm legally allowed to do so. I do this, not only to protect myself, but to protect those who cannot defend themselves. I have also sought out and obtained extensive training on the safe and proper usage of firearms necessary to fulfill such a task-- it's a responsibility that I take very seriously. Numerous states are currently considering the act of allowing teachers to arm themselves during the school day. In Indiana, however, the decision to allow teachers to carry firearms on school grounds is left to the approval of the school administration (IC 35-47-9).

I have discussed this issue with a few other teachers, friends, and family, and everyone I have spoken to, supports my efforts. They believe that a teacher carrying a firearm, concealed or open, would be a huge step forward in school safety, as most school shootings take place in 10 minutes or less. In fact, they begin and end so abruptly, that law enforcement officers simply cannot respond quickly enough. It’s a scenario that has played out time and time again. However, studies have also shown that it only takes one person to show resistance to a potential shooter and mitigate the danger immediately.

I realize this is a very controversial topic, but as we have seen in the past, controversies can be easily overcome with a little bit of public education and training. In fact, Guy Relford, an NRA certified firearms instructor and attorney, has offered to donate $850 worth of NRA defensive firearms training, free, to any teacher in possession of an Indiana handgun license and written approval (to carry on school grounds) from the school administration. I'm sure the training would help ease minds.

Best Regards,

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Retrieved from: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch9.html on December 19, 2012

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That looks very good. The only nit I'd pick is rather than refer to Guy's offer from an Internet forum, refer to him as a local, highly respected, firearms instructor, attorney, etc., etc. it would enhance his credentials to the reader, I'd think.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Instead of saying "local internet forum," which sounds a little amateurish, I would mention Guy Relford, attorney and NRA Certified Instructor, and his business by name.

I'm not a teacher ;) but I think (except on school grounds) should just have a comma and not the parenthesis. Same with (to carry on school grounds). I think parenthesis are pretty overused (on the internet).

Also
    allowing teachers the right [strike]and[/strike] to legally carry

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    The only change I would suggest is that to edit who will be giving the training.

It looks like someone you met on the internet will be giving training, I am not sure who is giving the training or if someone on here is paying for the training but I would validate the trainer to the super. Something to the effect of "A certified NRA trainer" Or "a former military officer" Something that will make the trainer valid to the super as opposed to "Someone on the internet"

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My suggested changes in red. These are only suggestions; I think your letter is well-written.

Dr. ************,

Due to recent local and national events, many people have expressed concern over the safety of our students in and around our schools. As a teacher at ****, I, along with my fellow teachers, are on the front-lines [STRIKE]of the constant battle[/STRIKE] with regard to matters surrounding school safety. A large majority of the public is becoming aware of this and seems to be leaning toward states allowing teachers [STRIKE]the right[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE]to legally carry firearms on school grounds, in accordance with their Constitutional right affirmed by the Second Amendment. What many don’t realize is the fact that Indiana laws already allow this.

The ability to defend ourselves and our students against potential threats is a viable deterrent in the battle against school violence. As an Indiana handgun carry permit holder, I carry a firearm everywhere I go (except on school grounds). I do this, not only to protect myself, but to protect those who cannot defend themselves—it’s a responsibility I take very seriously. I [STRIKE]know my weapons very well[/STRIKE] have sought out and obtained [STRIKE]regularly[/STRIKE] extensive training on the safe and proper use of the weapons necessary to fulfill that responsibility. Numerous states are currently considering the act of allowing teachers to arm themselves during the school day. In Indiana, however, the decision to allow teachers to carry firearms on school grounds is left to the approval of the school administration (IC 35-47-9).

I have discussed this issue with a few other teachers, friends, and family, and everyone I have spoken to[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] supports my efforts. They believe that a teacher carrying a firearm, concealed or open, would be a huge step forward in school safety, as most school shootings take place in 10 minutes or less. In fact, they begin and end so abruptly[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] that law enforcement officers simply cannot respond quickly enough. It’s a scenario that[STRIKE]’s[/STRIKE]has played out time and time again. However, studies have also shown that it only takes one person to show resistance to a potential shooter and [STRIKE]the situations [/STRIKE][STRIKE]end[/STRIKE] mitigate the danger immediately.

I realize this is a very controversial topic, but as we have seen in the past, controversies can be easily overcome with a little bit of public education and training. In fact, a member of a local internet forum has offered to donate $850 worth of NRA defensive firearms training, for free, to any teacher in possession of an Indiana handgun license and written approval (to carry on school grounds) from the school administration. I'm sure the training would help ease minds.

Best Regards,

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Retrieved from: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch9.html on December 19, 2012

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks great. Only one nit to pick. When you're talking about Guy offering training you say it "for free". It's just free. Not "for free". Other than that, and the changes already made, I like it. Hope it's received well.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I would suggest you cite the studies and provide links for the Super to find easily, rather than just being expected to take you at your word.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Va. is going to push for something like that. And wants our SPD to help with the training. You migh say something about that proposal and naybe mention you're willing to undergo any additional training the ISP offer/reccomend. I think that would help with your credibility.

A statwide poll might help, or hinder. YMMV on that part.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Good letter. Don't sit on it, go for it now. It might help to point out that other states already allow this. I understand that teachers can carry in UT, and TX allows teachers to carry with superintendent approval.
    Presenting the idea with "active shooter" training as part of the package might be good too, in order to have a coordinated team response.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would simply make him aware of the gracious free training, and your desire to partake.

I think he can infer the rest, and has surely read many articles and heard many opinions already on the subject. Just IMO.

Top Bottom