• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Looks great. Only one nit to pick. When you're talking about Guy offering training you say it "for free". It's just free. Not "for free". Other than that, and the changes already made, I like it. Hope it's received well.

My nits/:twocents::

In fixing the above, you forgot a space:

"...firearms training,free, to..." --> "...firearms training, free, to..."

-------------------

"... most school shootings take place in 10 minutes or less."

"...However, studies have also shown that..."

For me, reading this begs the questions:
    What are the sources for this info? What studies? :dunno: :scratch: :dunno:

In a country in which its intellectual capacity has devolved from:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another..." :yesway: :patriot:

to:
    "You a stupid hoe, (yeah) you a, you a stupid hoe..."
    suicide.gif

...you'll never go wrong, sadly, in spelling things out and making it caveman-simple for today's reader to understand your point.

--------------------

Also, I agree with Perry that the parentheses here are unnecessary:

"...written approval (to carry on school grounds) from the school administration."

--> "...written approval to carry on school grounds from the school administration."

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    Def would suggest strike the word "weapon" in every way. replace with firearm, sidearm, or pistol. Weapon is how it is always referred to, in an offensive application. Military, police use the term, so if you are prior service that explains its inclusion.

I trained as a pistol instructor, and got the proverbial ruler on the knuckles everytime "weapon" was used. It is a hard habit to break, but firearm is the preferred term, and less influencial as a negative context.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Thanks again, guys! I really appreciate all of the support this letter has gained. There are a few other local teachers looking to follow in my footsteps, but they want to see if there's any chance. I'll probably send this out first thing tomorrow morning. Waiting too long might be just as bad as sending it too soon.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I reacted to the following statement:

"A large majority of the public is becoming aware of this and seems to be leaning toward states allowing teachers the right to legally carry firearms on school grounds."

Although arming teachers has been part of the national discussion, I believe it is a stretch to imply a large majority are leaning toward states allowing teachers the right to carry on school grounds. If I was the superintendent, I would be looking for source data to support that statement. If you can't show a national randomized poll supporting this, I'd soften the language some. Anecdotal reports from the people you talk with may not be representative of the country as a whole. Perhaps "many" might be a safer word than "majority?" Just my :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Def would suggest strike the word "weapon" in every way. replace with firearm, sidearm, or pistol. Weapon is how it is always referred to, in an offensive application. Military, police use the term, so if you are prior service that explains its inclusion.

I trained as a pistol instructor, and got the proverbial ruler on the knuckles everytime "weapon" was used. It is a hard habit to break, but firearm is the preferred term, and less influencial as a negative context.

I was going to make this suggestion too.

And it's reeeeeeaaaaally nit-picky, but "...allowing teachers the right to legally carry firearms..." should be "...legally allowing teachers the right to carry firearms..." Or you could insert "legally" after "carry" but that makes it very cumbersome.

Or you could just remove the word "legally" all together. It goes without saying that carrying a firearm in violation of the law is unacceptable.

Almost no one but the most die-hard grammar nazi will notice, but you asked for edits. So there it is. Thou shalt not split the infinitives.

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Good luck! I hope you are able to garner more support. I think it is a great idea. The Israels have been doing this for years.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    Will probably catch hell here but I would drop the open carry, I think it will be better received. The superintendent will have to be sensitive to someones opinions on guns and freaking a child out that has been taught to fear guns unless they have a badge and uniform with them. Should not be that way but we all know it is. Non the less keep us posted

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    A large majority of the public is becoming aware of this and seem to be leaning toward states allowing teachers the right to carry firearms on school grounds, as shown by recent legislative proposals.

Okay, I made another minor change. I definitely appreciate all of the help.. Even from the grammar Nazis. :)

I asked for advice, but also posted it as a template for other teachers who would like to have the ability to carry in their classrooms.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I can say that I have dozens of teachers as patients, and ALL of them I have asked so far have said they strongly support CCW by teachers - even the meek and mildest.

They LOVE their students, and would fight to the death if needed to protect them. We are NOT keeping the killers away or disarming them, despite all our symbolic but useless 'gun control' laws, and the fact that we add insult to injury (or more accurately 'death' to injury) by prohibiting the teachers from CCW is a disgrace.

The blood of those students is on the hands of all who propose, support, enact, or enforce "gun free zone" laws.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was going to make this suggestion too.

And it's reeeeeeaaaaally nit-picky, but "...allowing teachers the right to legally carry firearms..." should be "...legally allowing teachers the right to carry firearms..." Or you could insert "legally" after "carry" but that makes it very cumbersome.

Or you could just remove the word "legally" all together. It goes without saying that carrying a firearm in violation of the law is unacceptable.

Almost no one but the most die-hard grammar nazi will notice, but you asked for edits. So there it is. Thou shalt not split the infinitives.

Okay, I made another minor change. I definitely appreciate all of the help.. Even from the grammar Nazis. :)

I asked for advice, but also posted it as a template for other teachers who would like to have the ability to carry in their classrooms.

I'll take 88GTs point and expand on it slightly. Instead of "allow teachers the right to carry", which erroneously places the ability to give that right in the superintendent's hands, how about something like "end the superstitious, ludicrous and indeed, harmful prohibition of those who carry safely and lawfully in other places they go." (It's not like there's some magic about the school property line that makes a person intent on doing harm be good nor gives a good person evil intentions.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom