• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This is one of the few pictures I have found. It looks clear that the piece I am missing is there. If anyone has a 1894 in .44 please let me know if this is in there!
    44Mag Barrel.jpeg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don't have a .44, but my .357 (JM Stamped 1982 mfg) has that piece, and my .45 Colt (newer Remlin gun, bought new in 2019 or 2020) does not. I believe it is indeed part of the barrel, and not a piece that can be added without installing a replacement barrel that is so equipped.

I'm also unsure if the presence of that part is related to the caliber of the weapon, or if it's a part that was re-engineered across the entire 1894 line in later years.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    I have an older Marlin 336 in .44 mag, and it does have problems feeding. From what I've read it's a design thing, the long action can't handle short cartridges well. I've been looking for a 16" SS Rossi 92 in .44 mag forever, but any 92 clone would be good for your dad. A Henry would probably be the easiest to find, and they're great by all accounts. The new side-gate ones also load from the tube so they've got the best of two worlds.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have an older Marlin 336 in .44 mag, and it does have problems feeding. From what I've read it's a design thing, the long action can't handle short cartridges well. I've been looking for a 16" SS Rossi 92 in .44 mag forever, but any 92 clone would be good for your dad. A Henry would probably be the easiest to find, and they're great by all accounts. The new side-gate ones also load from the tube so they've got the best of two worlds.
    This is exactly what we are on the hunt for. Gunshops in a 100 mile radius are all having a very tough time getting any Henry’s in stock, let alone the model we are looking at. Thanks!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Needing suggestions on a new lever action .44 for my dad. He currently has an older Marlin JM stamp that is a great gun but having some issues with loading. I'd like to help get him a new one because I will inherit them in the long run. Which brand is the best right now? Any brands to avoid? Looking at a traditional wood/blued look on this one. It will only be used as a truck gun and deer rifle for about 10 days out of the year.
    Get it figured out?

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Is he running the lever hard and fast? Mine will hang up if you you try to run is slow. Also, make sure it’s straight up and down. Mine doesn’t like to be ran sideways.
    Have a JM stamped 30-30 glenfield, if tilted, the bullet nose moves sideways, misses the chamber mouth.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Get it figured out?
    It looks like his model is missing that "hood" as shown in pictures. I've not been able to find much info on it or able to take it to a gunsmith.

As far as the purchase of a new lever gun, I believe we are leaning towards a newer Henry Big Boy with both the side loading gate and tube. It seems like it would be a great rifle. The only problem has been locating one local. I'll be keeping my eye on gunbroker.

rutheborger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tippecanoe
    +1 On getting a Henry .44. I've hunted for 8 years with a Henry .45-70 and with half a dozen other folks that use them as well and I've never seen a jam. Put a Skinner rear peep and a fiber optic front sight on and you have a fantastic brush gun.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If I were looking for a Big Boy I would be calling Darrell at Triple GGG Gun Gallery. He gets the most Henry stuff in and some of it I don't see anywhere else. He is in Greenville, Indiana and the phone is 812-923-AMMO.

I wasn't looking for a Big Boy but I know he has the new lever action .410 on the rack and possibly others...

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    If I were looking for a Big Boy I would be calling Darrell at Triple GGG Gun Gallery. He gets the most Henry stuff in and some of it I don't see anywhere else. He is in Greenville, Indiana and the phone is 812-923-AMMO.

I wasn't looking for a Big Boy but I know he has the new lever action .410 on the rack and possibly others...
    Thanks. They do not have any at the moment. I am looking for a Henry Big Boy Side Gate .44Mag model H012G if anyone runs across one!

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a marlin and I found using the hornady flextip bullet elemanted the problem for me. A good second is the white box 240 JSP as well. Just food for thought.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have a marlin and I found using the hornady flextip bullet elemanted the problem for me. A good second is the white box 240 JSP as well. Just food for thought.
    Using the Hornady Leverevolution but still having some issues because of reasons listed above. The folks on marlinowners.com have recommended filing the extractor, but I have not got around to it.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am on the hunt for a Henry .44 all weather. I was 10 minutes late to the LGS to buy one earlier in 2021 and have not seen one since. I really want the side loading gate and threaded barrel because I would like to suppress it. I know Henry has the model x but I really like wood on lever actions.

I can't wait for Ruger to get the bugs worked out of their Marlin productions. I have an older Marlin 336W 30-30 that I LOVE and deer hate it.

Top Bottom