• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just remember that in the People's Republic of Illinois, you actually are required to have a FOID (Firearm Owners Identification Card) in order to buy or even just have a gun and even ammo at all.
    You have to pay for the card ($10), and it has to be renewed every ten years.
    When I was in Gunner's Mate class 'A' School in Great Lakes, I couldn't believe my ears when I was informed of all that garbage while looking at some bolt action centerfire rifles in a LGS in PRI.
    I'm happy and proud to say that I finally purchased my bolt action from a mom & pop outfit in IN, where gun rights actually are respected.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As a Hoosier temporarily living in Michigan, I can tell you that MI does have a handgun registry -- lame sauce!
    Also, they define a handgun as anything under 26" (regardless of configuration)
    They also still have the handgun purchase permit for transactions between individuals, but no longer needed through FFLs. Either way, you must register the newly purchased handgun within 30 days with local PD (filling out a form, no inspection).
    To the OP, I *think* that here in MI, you can only carry a handgun that's registered to you. So, the old man was incorrect about Indiana, but he might have been right on about MI.
    Then, to confuse the idea even more, we have constitutional open carry that doesn't require any license here (no carrying in gun-free zones)

It has been a huge headache to track down the pertinent laws as most searches bring up old statutes and even many local gun enthusiasts DON'T keep up when many laws slightly changed in 2012/2013/2015.

I'll take IN gun laws any day compared to this!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As a Hoosier temporarily living in Michigan, I can tell you that MI does have a handgun registry -- lame sauce!
    Also, they define a handgun as anything under 26" (regardless of configuration)
    They also still have the handgun purchase permit for transactions between individuals, but no longer needed through FFLs. Either way, you must register the newly purchased handgun within 30 days with local PD (filling out a form, no inspection).
    To the OP, I *think* that here in MI, you can only carry a handgun that's registered to you. So, the old man was incorrect about Indiana, but he might have been right on about MI.
    Then, to confuse the idea even more, we have constitutional open carry that doesn't require any license here (no carrying in gun-free zones)

It has been a huge headache to track down the pertinent laws as most searches bring up old statutes and even many local gun enthusiasts DON'T keep up when many laws slightly changed in 2012/2013/2015.

I'll take IN gun laws any day compared to this!
    It's not really constitutional carry if you have to register it first.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Wow, interesting to hear that others have come across this...

I was at Point Blank in Carmel a while back and overheard a conversation while browsing the goods.

A lady came up to the gun counter and stated she was "here to register a handgun". The PB employee said politely that registration was not necessary in Indiana. The lady was almost upset. "But I need to have this handgun registered. I've applied for a LTCH and want everything to be legal." She stated something about getting the gun from Uncle Joe or ?? and that Uncle Joe had told her she needed to get it registered. I thought she was gonna cry.

Kudos to the PB guy. He told her to call any police agency and that they would confirm that she didn't need to register the gun. She left but not 100% convinced I'm sure.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Guy Relford on "The Gun Gun" show was taken to task a few weekends ago by an "older gentleman" :oldwise: that "used to be a Deputy Sheriff" that KNEW FOR A FACT :rules: you had to register your handguns!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Guy Relford on "The Gun Gun" show was taken to task a few weekends ago by an "older gentleman" :oldwise: that "used to be a Deputy Sheriff" that KNEW FOR A FACT :rules: you had to register your handguns!

Because obviously Guy wouldn't know. :rolleyes: It's amazing the myths floating around out there, and the "experts" perpetuating them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

That may have been the case when he was a LEO. Because rules never change.

I can remeber when Clark Co had a voluntary registration.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I could see where a non-gun person might confuse the NCIS check with registration on their first gun. If they don't know what's going on with the call, they might confuse the background check for a registration happening at the same time. There's not ANY info out there on stuff like this if someone does not go looking for it. And, most new gun owners aren't jumping on INGO right after they get the gun home.

krd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Isn't this Nevada law where the type the gun(s) one can carry are typed on the back of the license with serial numbers?
    When I started carrying in Arkansas you were limited to three handguns. All had to be identified. If you wanted to change one you had to go through the paper work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I started carrying in Arkansas you were limited to three handguns. All had to be identified. If you wanted to change one you had to go through the paper work.

Only 3!!!!! I would have to give that some thought. In fact that would be a pretty cool thread.

Top Bottom