• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    I heard a new one today. I bought a Ruger LCP 380 from an older gentleman today.
    He told me to be careful carrying the gun. I said I have a license and can carry legally. He said my permit was no good if the hand gun wasn't registered to me. I repeated that my license made it alright for me to carry the gun. He said my permit was no good if the gun wasn't registered in my name. I ask where he got this information and he said he read it some where. I told him I didn't think that was correct and he should look into it more. He said there was no need to look further, that he would never carry a gun that wasn't registered to him.
    I didn't think to ask where I had to register this gun, to make my "permit" legal.

Didn't want to get into a long discussion so I dropped it.
    Hickory

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Isn't this Nevada law where the type the gun(s) one can carry are typed on the back of the license with serial numbers?

I know when Oklahoma loosened up it's carry laws you could only carry a revolver it that's what you used to "qualify" for the license whereas if your "qualify" gun was a semi auto you could carry a semi auto or a round gun. Don't know how it is now!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is actually a very common misconception. Many if not most people believe that filling out a form 4473 is registration. Truth be told I would be somewhat cautious about carrying a gun that was not purchased by me from a reputable shop or purchased from a person that I knew fairly well. Never know where a stolen gun could turn up.

Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    I am not concerned about the gun being stolen. I have known this gentleman all my life. He gave me the box and all the gear that comes with the gun when purchased new. He bought the gun new about 4 years ago. I may try talking to him about the issue at a more opportune time.
    Hickory

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Many years ago in Indiana there was a requirement to register a handgun with your local police agency. That requirement is long gone. This gentleman may be stuck in the past.

I'm sure there are members here who can cite the dates and specific requirement.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Many years ago in Indiana there was a requirement to register a handgun with your local police agency. That requirement is long gone. This gentleman may be stuck in the past.

I'm sure there are members here who can cite the dates and specific requirement.

^^^^ This (mostly)^^^^

I remember having to take the handgun to the Sheriff when I applied for my original license. If I recall correctly, I could carry a different handgun but at least one had to be associated with the license. This was the practice sometime in the early to mid 80's. I did not have to "register" all my handguns but they had to see one before I could carry concealed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have a couple friends that think you can't possess a gun that isn't registered to you. I don't know where they get their info but I try to tell them the real deal but I might as well be talking to my toilet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just understand that unless this old fart is told by someone he respects as an authority figure, he wont accept it. You can talk until you are blue in the face, but based on your post he will dismiss you as a naive pup who doesnt know what he is talking about, regardless of how right you are.

Good luck.

(and yes, I'm just old enough to remember the days of registering your handgun. :rockwoot:)

Top Bottom