• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    My wife just got her CC license and we are looking to get her something small she can handle. Read a ton of reviews and even shot a couple 380s but to be honest I wasn't really impressed.

She can handle our .45 well enough but obviously wants something to slip in her purse. She can't stand firing my .38, says it hurts her hand.

I figured one or two of you had picked up a little pocket pistol for a special lady friend so I thought I would ask. Anyone got any suggestions?

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    Do you happen to know what model? I have read several reviews claiming there are some flaws with the trigger. We shot one and she liked how it felt, I didn't care for how it shot. First time I filed a .380 though.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    well first off,
    what .38 did she shoot??
    what hurt her hand, the recoil itself? or maybe the grips?
    and there aren't alot of the .380's that I just go crazy over, but If I can shoot a good pattern, and conceal the gun with no issues... then that gun is doing it's job. my ruger LCP is a back up gun, and is good to toss in the glove box and other quick access places.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    The .38 was my Charter Arms ultra light 2". It's got some kick to it. It's hammerless so she really has to get on it to fire but, well, won't anymore. ha.

Got any other suggestions outside the .380? Maybe a small frame 9mm?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Do you happen to know what model? I have read several reviews claiming there are some flaws with the trigger. We shot one and she liked how it felt, I didn't care for how it shot. First time I filed a .380 though.

Info right off the box is: " M380 REVOLVER .380 ACP BLACK
    1.75(") 5 SHOT ULTRA LITE".

Hope this helps!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Why are we so stuck on the inadequate .380 here???? Get a 9mm for her. My fiance carries a ruger sr9c and has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM handling the recoil. She is small framed (like 120lbs, but if she asks I said she was 110;))
    There are smaller 9mm's too out there. Walther pps, M&P shield, a kahr of some kind. Listen to guys like Dr. Roberts when they say the .380 is not a good defensive cartridge.
    My personal belief is that is harder to shoot a .38 snubby or .380 pocket gun than it is to shoot a 9mm compact/subcompact (note I did not say "ultra-compact" like a 9mm pocket gun). The recoil from a .38 snubby was much more bothersome to me than from my kahr cm9. I am in no way recoil sensitive but after 50 rounds I did not want to shoot the j-frame any more.
    Let her get to a range that rents different guns and see what she likes and what fits her hands better. See if she has any problem handling a 9mm's recoil. My guess is she won't

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    P238 if you can stomach the price, .380 Bodyguard if you can't. I use the Bodyguard as a BUG and although the trigger pull is a mile long, the gun shoots very well.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Why are we so stuck on the inadequate .380 here???? Get a 9mm for her. My fiance carries a ruger sr9c and has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM handling the recoil. She is small framed (like 120lbs, but if she asks I said she was 110;))
    There are smaller 9mm's too out there. Walther pps, M&P shield, a kahr of some kind. Listen to guys like Dr. Roberts when they say the .380 is not a good defensive cartridge.
    My personal belief is that is harder to shoot a .38 snubby or .380 pocket gun than it is to shoot a 9mm compact/subcompact (note I did not say "ultra-compact" like a 9mm pocket gun). The recoil from a .38 snubby was much more bothersome to me than from my kahr cm9. I am in no way recoil sensitive but after 50 rounds I did not want to shoot the j-frame any more.
    Let her get to a range that rents different guns and see what she likes and what fits her hands better. See if she has any problem handling a 9mm's recoil. My guess is she won't
    ^^This^^
    9mm is perfect for anyone in my opinion. Its easy and cheap to shoot which leads to more practicing. Alot of people recommend revolvers for women because of the simplicity, but if they can make a sandwich they can operate a semi-auto.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    My wife Has a Bursa Thunder 380 and I can't get her to part with it. She hasn't found anything yet that feels as comfortable. She looked at a couple today Kahr CW9 was the top of her list but she still needs to feel the LC9. She likes the feel of the LCR .38 but I doubt she'll enjoy range time with it. Well, only time will tell.
    I can't blame her though. Her Bersa is a fun little gun.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It seems counter-intuitive but the larger and heavier it is, the better she'll shoot it and the easier it'll be to control. My wife thought she wanted a tiny gun and we got a p938 but she is much better with a full size like the p226 9mm or XDm 9mm. She actually shoots my full size 1911 like a champ.

The smaller it is, the more recoil they're going to have to resist and the more important shooting technique like grip become. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a bigger and heavier gun makes limp writing ok, but that it simply makes learning to shoot well easier for somebody new to it.

Edit: Also, if it is an Indiana license it is not a "Concealed Carry License" but a "License To Carry Handgun". You can CC or OC so long as you have the license. Many here will get bent out of shape if you call it a "CC License" or if you refer to it as a "Permit". I would stick go "LTCH".

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Well first off don't you buy her a gun, take her to try out all that she can and let her choose which gun is right for her.

Too many men want to go out and buy their gals a gun, but think about it. Would you want her to go out and buy you a gun that she has no idea what you want. Okay, maybe a bad example, most guys would like that, come to think about it. But you get the idea of what i'm saying.

I know this may not be your intention and your gal may be with you when buying.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm in the camp that says the 9mm is better suited for her CC weapon, if she wants a smaller gun. Why carry a 380 when they make 9mms just a fraction bigger/heavier? Check out the Sig P938 (9mm) VS the P238 (380). I've owned both, the 9mm even fits some of the holsters I bought for the 380. This 9mm is well-suited for ankle carry, purse carry (if that's what she desires), OC or CC, in my opinion. I'm thinking the S&W Shield might be the same way. The 380 is a good gun, but I'd rather have a 9mm, cheaper to shoot, too.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The only issue I've had with the p938 is finding good holsters for it. None of the brands I love for all of my other firearms make anything for the p938 last I looked. Desantis does make a nice ankle holster for it though.

Top Bottom