• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Amen g00n24!! Forget the .380! I carry a 3" Kimber 45. It would be heavy for a purse. How about a G26? That's what I started with and carried it in my purse. It was no problem. My sister carries a M&P compact 9mm in her tiny Bears purse (Bears :nuts: )

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Another vote for Ruger LCP. The one you carry is better than the one at home, I wouldn't want to be shot with a 380, we can debate caliber all day, but we can't all carry a deagle.

I hear a 9mm is barely bigger than a 380, well a 40 isn't much bigger than that, and a 45 isn't much bigger than that, and 50cal isn't much bigger than that.

If it's reliable and it goes bang, you have chosen the correct heater.

I have one, it eats anything i throw at it, and i can group em pretty well for such a small platform. The long trigger pull takes some getting used to, but it helps to comfort the mind with it rattling around in a purse with a round in the chamber (please put in a nice little holster to help with that safety factor as well)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The only issue I've had with the p938 is finding good holsters for it. None of the brands I love for all of my other firearms make anything for the p938 last I looked. Desantis does make a nice ankle holster for it though.

I have a UBG OWB holster that was made for the P238 and it fits my P938. I have a Galco Ankle holster that works, but was not made for the P938...just had to try a few on. We went to Midwest and they had quite a few of the holsters to try.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife has, and carries anything from a SW bodyguard 380 to a Taurus Tracker in 44 Mag. She also had a Ruger LCR 38 spl, a Kel-tech PF-9, and a Taurus PT-92. of the five, the 44 has the most recoil, but she tends to carry 44 spl loads in it. Her PF-9 can be a handfull, but isnt unmanageable with the right ammunition.

Take your wife out, gun shows are a great place to look at lots of guns, and find something that she likes, and go from there. Even in an ultralight 38 snub, you can find ammo that wont beat someone up when they shoot it. Just because it can fire the hotter ammo doesnt meant its your only choice. Try a standard pressure load in the 38, and see if that changes her opinion. I shoot my 44 mag with very warm handloads, but will admit that my wifes tracker is a bit obnoxious with even the more tame factory 240gr loads out there. For self defence use, and even short range deer hunting, the milder 44 spl loads that she carries are more than sufficient to effect a quick stop. For years the 38 spl (not +p) was the standard for police use, I cant see there being any reason that it wouldnt be just as effective today.

bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    i have a taurus tcp 380 that is a great pocket pistol. ive had no issues with it. there are taurus bashers and clearly they arent top notch pistols but i own two and have never had an issue.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have a keltec p3AT as well as a colt govt model in .380. Don't like them for carry but ok for BUG. I got a Walther PPS (just before the s@w shield came out) and it is a great size for the Mrs. She especially likes that I am carrying it for her. Sorta... I have had some real reliability problems with the 380's. never with the 9 mm.
    Engineering, machining, and fit and finish for the Walther is excellent. Never had a malfunction of any sort with about 500 rounds through it...

bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    i dont care if you pull a 22 on me i dont want to be shot with it. i know that when i reach into my pocket to give a criminal my wallet that im really reaching for my small light and very deadly 380. it will be fired through my coat and the element of surprise along with the 7 jhp rounds that just went through their torso will be more than enough!
    i would much rather have a hand cannon at all times, sometimes i just carry small. i could always pull out the governor and hit em with the buckshot!

96projectz24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My wife carries a S&W Bodyguard .38, she loves it and has no problems shooting. Recently, she confiscated my M&P Shield...I had to buy another one, lol!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The .38 was my Charter Arms ultra light 2". It's got some kick to it. It's hammerless so she really has to get on it to fire but, well, won't anymore. ha.

I don't think you could have offered her a worse option to shoot. :n00b: Seriously. J-frame lightweights are AWFUL for new shooters, male or female. Especially hammerless.

It probably had rubber grips too. :abused: THAT would be the worst.

Got any other suggestions outside the .380? Maybe a small frame 9mm?
    Your wife really needs to try a few more (and by a few, I mean a good dozen or so ;)) until she finds something that fits AND she's comfortable shooting 100+ rounds through in one sitting.

"Slipping" it into her purse may just have been a cavalier choice of words, but might I respectfully interject that her approach to carrying in the purse be less so. Okay, off the soapbox now.

Amen g00n24!! Forget the .380! I carry a 3" Kimber 45. It would be heavy for a purse. How about a G26? That's what I started with and carried it in my purse. It was no problem. My sister carries a M&P compact 9mm in her tiny Bears purse (Bears :nuts: )

G26 is pretty heavy for a purse gun relative to the competition.

I have no love for revolvers, but they really do make the best purse guns. It's just that everything that makes them a great purse gun makes them an awful EDC.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Glock 29 10mm FTW!!!!!!!! :D

But seriously, A shield would be an amazing purse gun OR that new little kahr 380(?) that is out. Don't remember the model.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    i dont care if you pull a 22 on me i dont want to be shot with it. i know that when i reach into my pocket to give a criminal my wallet that im really reaching for my small light and very deadly 380. it will be fired through my coat and the element of surprise along with the 7 jhp rounds that just went through their torso will be more than enough!
    i would much rather have a hand cannon at all times, sometimes i just carry small. i could always pull out the governor and hit em with the buckshot!

I hate the "I don't know know anyone who would want to be shot with (fill in the blank) caliber" argument almost as much as I hate the "you are more likely to carry the tiny gun because it's easier to carry" argument.

I don't know anyone who wants to be hit by a rock either but that doesn't make it an adequate self defense projectile.

Truckie174

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Pendleton
    The best thing you can do in my opinion is to get as many guns in her hands as you can before buying something. Feel, is one of the most important things she should be looking for. If its not comfortable, she won't want it in her hand.

Once I convinced the Mrs. to get an EDC, she was sure she wanted a Sig 239. Based mainly off of her experiences from when I owned one in the past.

After holding another, and many others she had her heart set on a S&W M&P 9mm compact. And who am I to deny her?:laugh:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I hate the "I don't know know anyone who would want to be shot with (fill in the blank) caliber" argument almost as much as I hate the "you are more likely to carry the tiny gun because it's easier to carry" argument.

I don't know anyone who wants to be hit by a rock either but that doesn't make it an adequate self defense projectile.

You're right. It isn't an adequate projectile because someone doesn't want to be hit with it. It's an adequate projectile because it has the capability of bringing about the desired end.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    My wife has: S&W Model 60; LCR and LC9; with the S&W her favorite. Yes, it is a little heavier than the other 2, but it is what she likes best and shoots best. She is looking to get one of the FlashBang holsters and start carrying.

I agree 100% with the comments about her trying (handling & shooting) as many different guns as possible. My wife wanted the LCR based on a couple of reviews and really wishes she had not purchased it. Even with basic 38 rounds it is not fun to shoot (I don't even like to shoot it).

Good Luck, and LET HER PICK IT OUT..... Greg

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    Really appreciate all the responses. We have fired quite a few and she isn't new to shooting. I let her pick her own, first gun last year and she went with an Remington 870, so she's got good taste.

I started her out on a Walther P22 which has the kick of a rubber band so I think she got spoiled by it. We are going to check out a couple .380s this weekend. Hopefully come up with something she is comfortable with.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    I don't think you could have offered her a worse option to shoot. :n00b: Seriously. J-frame lightweights are AWFUL for new shooters, male or female. Especially hammerless.

It probably had rubber grips too. :abused: THAT would be the worst.

I'm a firm believer in her understanding how to operate all our firearms and my .38 being my own daily carry, it was no exception. She may not like shooting it, but she knows what to expect from it and isn't afraid of it if she has no other option.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have to agree with the rest - if you're going to get a .380 you may as well get a 9mm. Not only does 9mm ammo tend to be cheaper, it's more readily available (usually).

Overall the 9mm cartridge is a MUCH better cartridge than the .380 imho.

Top Bottom