• GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    How does diesel do in a zippo?

Not well, charcoal fluid, nor K1 work well. Diesel and the others I listed don't take a spark from the flint well, they will ignite, but require repeated strikes. White gas on the other hand does quite well.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Depending on which type of lantern you have indicates what type of fuel.
    A pressurized type can burn kerosene & white gas. A dead flame type can burn kerosene or paraffin.
    A tube type should only use kerosene , Never use mineral spirits, you can get a run away flame & a fuel explosion. Lanternnet.com is a great site for lanterns & info.. Rhino if you want to see some of those lanterns let me know, I use them all the time & have 2 types on hand..

What is a tube type lantern?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    What is a tube type lantern?

the most famous is a "Dietz" lantern , sold by Kirkman at lanternet.com ..
    The metal frame of the lantern is really hollow tubes that draw hot exhaust gas down to the fuel reserve and heat the fuel.. there are 2 types , hot blast & cold blast..
    Hot blast ones direct the exhaust directly back into the burn chamber, burning it twice..
    Cold bast use the exhaust to heat new incoming air, which then goes to the fuel & then to the burn chamber..
    W.T. Kirkman Lantern Care & Terminology

A tube lantern correctly set up with the correct fuel burns very bright because it is burning fuel as a gas and not the top of the wick..

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How does diesel do in a zippo?

A single 8 oz bottle of Zippo(or Ronsonol which is owned by Zippo)fuel will last quite a long time.As a former smoker who lit 20 cigarets a day a single bottle would last a year.Now I rarely use a zippo but still keep a few bottles of fuel on hand in addition to flints and a few spare wicks.Each bottle of fuel is equal to around 15 flints and one wick.I have never tried any other fuel in a zippo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought 4 Deitz lanterns after last years sub-zero power outage. I wanted to have the ability to burn the same K1 I have on hand for the emergency heater. I ended up springing for a few gallons of Klean-heat. It burns bright, hot and fairly odorless in the lanterns.
    Klean-Strip Heat Odorless Fuel - Gallon-GKKH99991 at The Home Depot
    6dc32498-97db-4f19-baae-ebf66e736464_1000.jpg

20140115_190834_zpsbxjegx2j.jpg

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    There do exists lanterns that can use gasoline, But know your equipment for sure..
    certain pressurized mantel ones are capable of using anything liquid and flammable..
    Why Choose A BriteLyt Multi-Fuel Lantern? | Camping, Hiking, Survival Equipment

The Coleman Dual Fuel lanterns will burn either Coleman Camp Fuel or Unleaded Gasoline. The Generator is a little different on a dual fuel lantern than on a single fuel lantern which helps extend the life of the generator when using unleaded gasoline. I think the seals are a different material also.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Lamp oil is usually deodorized kerosene, which is the same as paraffin oil.

this is not true, lamp oil / K1 is not the same as paraffin. They have different flash points.. if you use paraffin oil in a kerosene only lamp you will get smoke & soot plus lots more CO than with the correct fuel.
    paraffin is often labeled lamp oil , or for wick lamps, but you should not use it in kerosene lamps.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A single 8 oz bottle of Zippo(or Ronsonol which is owned by Zippo)fuel will last quite a long time.As a former smoker who lit 20 cigarets a day a single bottle would last a year.Now I rarely use a zippo but still keep a few bottles of fuel on hand in addition to flints and a few spare wicks.Each bottle of fuel is equal to around 15 flints and one wick.I have never tried any other fuel in a zippo.

The reason I ask is that the fuel in my Zippos evaporates long before I use it, so I usually leave them empty with the bottle near it to fill as needed (I'm not smoker, but Zippos are just damn handy tools). I've seen the trick of putting a piece of innertube around the lighter to slow the evaporation rate, but I've never tried it.

this is not true, lamp oil / K1 is not the same as paraffin. They have different flash points.. if you use paraffin oil in a kerosene only lamp you will get smoke & soot plus lots more CO than with the correct fuel.
    paraffin is often labeled lamp oil , or for wick lamps, but you should not use it in kerosene lamps.

We need to sit down and talk about this sometime and I'll probably need a spreadsheet! Haha! Plus, it's been too long since I have seen you Miss T!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The reason I ask is that the fuel in my Zippos evaporates long before I use it, so I usually leave them empty with the bottle near it to fill as needed (I'm not smoker, but Zippos are just damn handy tools). I've seen the trick of putting a piece of innertube around the lighter to slow the evaporation rate, but I've never tried it.

We need to sit down and talk about this sometime and I'll probably need a spreadsheet! Haha! Plus, it's been too long since I have seen you Miss T!

Yes, it would be nice to see you again.
    get your self one of these to keep with your zippo ; Amazon.com: Zippo Fuel Canister: Sports & Outdoors

If you are keeping an oil lamp around for back up use, get Florasense lamp oil from walmart , it is about $5 / gal.. burns safe & clear.. cheaper than kleen-heat.
    If you are using the lamp often, bulk K1 kerosene can be used, but test each fuel batch.. During half the year I use an oil lamp several times a week.. I have one you can cook on top of.. heats my lunch ..
    But several times I have had bad K1 from bulk gas station pumps..
    This winter when we had a power outage I made the mistake of not testing the fuel, and I got a run away flame in the house..

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    New addition to our Aladdin lamps,with a new shade.We went with a glass shade because it should last pretty much forever.
    The lamp is solid brass as is the shade cradle.Less accidental breakage they should last a few centuries (wick and mantles not included).

2dvlsb6.jpg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Smokingman, I too am sitting by the warm glow of my Aladdin this evening. How often do you find that your wick needs trimming? I just caught the Aladdin bug and have purchased a few used ones on ebay and have cleaned the burners to as new and installed new wicks and mantles. #23 burners. I have found that I need to trim the wick every second or third burn so I don't get flame spikes. Even the slightest flame spike blackens the mantle a bit.

They can be fussy but they are amazing lamps.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Smokingman, I too am sitting by the warm glow of my Aladdin this evening. How often do you find that your wick needs trimming? I just caught the Aladdin bug and have purchased a few used ones on ebay and have cleaned the burners to as new and installed new wicks and mantles. #23 burners. I have found that I need to trim the wick every second or third burn so I don't get flame spikes. Even the slightest flame spike blackens the mantle a bit.

They can be fussy but they are amazing lamps.
    Every 20 hours or so of burn time,and really then all you need to do is one spin with the cleaner to knock off any carbon.A wick should last around 1000 hours according to Aladdin.
    If you are having to clean them often you are probably either running them a little high OR trying to turn them up to quickly.Remember they do take 10 minutes or so to get up to temperature,during that time keep them very low.So try lowering your wick during warmup and see if that helps.
    and :postpics:

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you sir. I do let it warm up at just a glow for 10 mins but I do run it high. Having no history with them, it will take me some practice to dial it in. I also had a ruby shade and that really limited the light so I think I was trying too hard. I found a white shade today and that has really brightened it up.

I will post some pics later this week. Your pic above is an exact match to what I am enjoying this evening. My others are shelf lamps with no shades and I could land a plane with those they are so bright. Between the Toyostove DR-86 heater and the lamp I feel a bit Amish tonight.

Top Bottom