• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The reason I ask is that the fuel in my Zippos evaporates long before I use it, so I usually leave them empty with the bottle near it to fill as needed (I'm not smoker, but Zippos are just damn handy tools). I've seen the trick of putting a piece of innertube around the lighter to slow the evaporation rate, but I've never tried it.
    Then just use electrical tape. You probably never tried it because you have yet to walk in to a bike shop and ask for some free, damaged tubes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Then just use electrical tape. You probably never tried it because you have yet to walk in to a bike shop and ask for some free, damaged tubes.

You are correct, that is why I have not tried it! We even have a nice bike shop here in my little burg. You have motivated me.

I did try electrical tape. It the evaporating naptha made a nice, gooey mess of the tape in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, it was really easy to clean it off of the outside of the Zippo . . . with a little more lighter fluid. Heh!

I probably should do some research and find a polymer that is both rubber-like and resistant to naptha. The synthetic rubber they use for bicycle inner tubes may fit that bill, or maybe something else will work better. A little gasket to seal the cover might do the trick.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You are correct, that is why I have not tried it! We even have a nice bike shop here in my little burg. You have motivated me.

I did try electrical tape. It the evaporating naptha made a nice, gooey mess of the tape in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, it was really easy to clean it off of the outside of the Zippo . . . with a little more lighter fluid. Heh!

I probably should do some research and find a polymer that is both rubber-like and resistant to naptha. The synthetic rubber they use for bicycle inner tubes may fit that bill, or maybe something else will work better. A little gasket to seal the cover might do the trick.
    Huh? A huge F'n mess, I love it! I tried it once years ago and it worked but I don't recall for how long I left it? I just keep mine empty stored with fuel as backups and will take on vacations as well. I most likely used the 3M stretchy electrical tape because it is my favorite for gear and using on Tennessee handles on fishing rods. Now I feel like testing that again.

I have a "life time supply" of bike tubing and frankly it only takes a few tubes unless you go crazy with the stuff. I have even made small fishing lures with it, like skirted jigs and spinners just to test it. Decent tinder too.

PS I am no biker, but like you, I have a great personality. While living in Racine I just went into the locally owned bike shop and struck up a conversation. Wham, he handed me some used tubes AND they still had air in them! I offered to pay he said no.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hey on the lighter thing, I got a new butane lighter this Fall to use when relaxing with a good Gar. Cheap thing too, great for lighting trash fires and other household chores. SOOOOOO, I accidentally ran it through the washer AND dryer not long ago. Still works great.

Top Bottom