List of Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores (Northwest Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    EZ Pawn
    6752 Indianapolis Blvd
    Hammond , IN 46324 Map
    (219) 844-0010

They have a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign on there door.
    They do sell firearms in the store however. Typically junk long guns.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If someone confirms this for a fact, they will earn a spot on the anti-gun list. It seems peculiar for any gun shop to have such a policy. But as we know, not everyone who owns guns defends the right to keep and bear arms.

There are policies and there are policies. In some cases the "policy" is for folk they don't know or for insurance purposes.

Part of it is that if an accident ("negligent discharge") happens when someone is at home or otherwise on their own, that's bad enough, but when it happens at a gun shop/gun show/gun range the result is far worse from a PR perspective. Even with those kinds of policies in place, accidents do happen from time to time. Yes, they are caused almost entirely by idiots, but since it's kind of hard to completely ban idiots, we've got to deal with the existence of same.

Somebody at his home screws up and has a negligent discharge. Best case (from a "gun rights" perspective), nobody ever learns it happened. Not too bad case, the guy's buddies know about it and he takes a ribbing. Bad case, injury or property damage to a third party. Worst case someone gets killed. Everything above the "guy's buddies know about it" does damage to the idea of preserving gun rights in the court of public opinion.

Somebody at a gun store has a negligent discharge. In this case, best case is the "bad case" above (starting with property damage to a third party since that bullet is almost sure to break something or put a hole in the shop's walls) going right up to the same worst case. And in every one of those cases, the association with the event at a gun shop or gun show leads to more damage in the court of public opinion. The story is more likely to have "legs" on the news, reaching more people and people are likely to think "even in a gun store, with experts around" making the event seem worse.

Michael Z. Williamson* (I dare anyone to call him anti-gun) had an article on this subject at keepandbeararms.com

I've spoken with the folk at several gun stores with such policies. In every case (among those I've spoken to) the "rule" is not aimed at people who carry and who leave the gun holstered while inside (unless they actually need it), or who only take it out at the range line to shoot. What they don't want is people taking out guns to show each other or to brag about since that's when people make mistakes and are likely to screw up.

YMMV, of course, but having such a rule posted may not be as "anti gun" as one might assume.

*When last I spoke with him on the subject, Mike said that he had military supremacy over Barbados and was now in an arms race with Bermuda. Having seen part of his collection, I believe it.

I think this is a topic worth diving into, but I'm going to create for it a new thread. Perhaps we need to flame the insurance companies who dictate such silly rules. Regardless, let us continue our list. The other discussion can be found here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-why_would_a_gun_shop_have_no_guns_signs.html

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    So, where are the threads for the other districts on the map in the OP? If there aren't any, we need a new thread dedicated to each district and maybe those threads should be stickies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, where are the threads for the other districts on the map in the OP? If there aren't any, we need a new thread dedicated to each district and maybe those threads should be stickies.

There are none. The OP of the other tread is from NWI so we (NWI INGO) concentrated on that area since we know/visit it most. INGO members from other areas never got started on their own that I know of.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indiana pawn shop in burns harbor off of rt.20...very gun friendly.....town and country in portage i've oc'ed with no problems.....pilot gas station off of rt.20 near Arnel chevy and dodge..no problems either..

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I have carried into Blythes in griffith and the one in valpo with no problems. They never bothered me at all. One of the employees at the Griffith one knew I had my G23 cause he was helping me pick out a IWB. Never said a word or complained.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Nice & Easy Gas Station
    1701 W Glen Park Ave (45th St)
    Griffith, IN 46319

Gun-Neutral/Pro!!! I open carry there all the time. No problems at all!

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I dont want to say pro-gun, but TGI Fridays in Valparaiso is good. When we met up before the Valparaiso gun show we all went there and there was no issues. The GM asked me what I carry last night when he seen my empty holster. We talked guns for about 30 minutes. Definitely neutral, probably pro gun.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    In St John I visit Alsip Home Nursey while OCing never had a negative experience. A few times some employees have come and asked me for info on carrying and what not.

In Cedar Lake I'm a regular at Harry'Os restaurant and never had a problem.

Nortwoods I've never had a problem, I think it's St. John.

Buffalo wild wings in Sceriville and Crown point are ok, been to both numerous times no problems.

Buffalo wild wings in Portage was asked to put my weapon in my car.

I always OC I'll update with more later when I have a chance. So far in over 2 years I've only had 1 problem and that was the b dubs in portage.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    carmax on 30 in merrillville is anti, not sure if there's a sign but a manager booted a buddy & me out. Ford & Toyota dealership in that area are neutral

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    Okay, Keresotes theaters... Now they have been bought out by AMC. One on 30 in hobart and one on 41 in schererville each have signs saying no firearms.
    Lake county fairgrounds in Crown Point on main street has a sign saying no firearms. (When gun show are scheduled it's usually covered by the banner that says "Gun show today".) LOL

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Okay, Keresotes theaters... Now they have been bought out by AMC. One on 30 in hobart and one on 41 in schererville each have signs saying no firearms.
    Lake county fairgrounds in Crown Point on main street has a sign saying no firearms. (When gun show are scheduled it's usually covered by the banner that says "Gun show today".) LOL

On this topic is it ILLEGAL to have weapons on in the Lake County Fairgrounds or it is just their "policy". Since the LCF is "county owned" property and per IC they can if they so want to make it illegal. I'm not sure & thus why I am asking since as you pointed out they cover the sign when the gun show comes to town. :rolleyes:

I thought you were against registries.

Now these stores will become social outcasts and be forced to resort to crime.

We are not against registries. We are just elites who want things that are go for us and bad for them. So long as the registry does not affect us negatively (this one does not) then I'm all for it. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @rambone can you still update this thread?
    Perhaps a google doc may be better since I think their is a time limit on how long you can edit a post on INGO. I think after 1 year you can not anymore.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Never had a problem in NW Indiana OC'ing. However, I do check for any signage first and if I would see one, then I make sure my shirt, coat, etc. cover it up. If there is no sign saying otherwise and the store manager should ask me to take it out to the car, I would ask show me the signage on the door.

Top Bottom