• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    My little sister is 19, and has applied for her license to carry. The first problem, after completing the online form, she realized that she misspelled her last name. She is unsure how to correct this.

The second issue is, as she is under 21, how would she legally purchase a handgun?

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    1. Call the state police and have them update the application with her correct last name

2. A handgun would have to be gifted to her ( or ) she can purchase one from a individual person and not a FFL dealer.

On a personal note I got my 4 year license when I was 18 and purchased my first handgun off of a friend of the family that was wanting to sell his gun that he kept in his shop. Which by the way was a 1911 style 45 ACP by Smith and Wesson

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, she can't buy one through an FFL (feds say you have to be 21). But the state of Indiana says you can do it at 18. As stated above, you'll just have to find a private seller to sell her one. Just don't be tempted to go try a straw purchase at a gun store.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What they said^^^^^^^^^

And with Christmas right around the corner, get her a good training class.

Last edited:

mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    Part of the "problem" is that she has been working a lot to save up for a specific gun, (and a car). The gun in question I do not own, and really could not afford to gift one to her. I assume just buying it for her is a straw purchase.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Part of the "problem" is that she has been working a lot to save up for a specific gun, (and a car). The gun in question I do not own, and really could not afford to gift one to her. I assume just buying it for her is a straw purchase.

That would be my understanding as well.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I know there is a lot a gray area in the "straw purchase" debate. IMO, I see it as purchasing a firearm for someone that you know, or have good reason to believe, that they can't legally do so.
    If you know your sister to be a "proper" person, there is nothing stopping you from purchasing the handgun as the actual buyer and then selling it to her as a private transaction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know there is a lot a gray area in the "straw purchase" debate. IMO, I see it as purchasing a firearm for someone that you know, or have good reason to believe, that they can't legally do so.
    If you know your sister to be a "proper" person, there is nothing stopping you from purchasing the handgun as the actual buyer and then selling it to her as a private transaction.

That's the thing though, isn't it? According to federal law, a person under 21 cannot purchase a firearm through a FFL. If you buy it with the intent on selling to someone who cannot legally buy it, that is a person who by filling out the 4473 themselves will not be permitted to complete the purchase, is a straw purchase.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

In my opinion, this is very bad advice.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "A *straw* purchaser is a person with a clean background who purchases firearms specifically on behalf of a person prohibited from purchasing a firearm because he or she is a convicted felon, domestic violence misdemeanants, juvenile, mentally ill individual or other federally or state-defined prohibited person."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If the 18 year old were to fill out the 4473, to attempt to purchase the gun herself, would she be allowed? If not, she has to fall into one of those categories (assuming that's the offical ATF definition, etc.)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    But do you really want to risk getting caught? There is the used gun market to find what she wants. Plenty of FB groups and classifieds to find the one she is looking for. I wouldn't chance it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm guessing that the "juvenile" in that straw purchaser definition is a person under 21. Once again, the Government gets to rearrange what certain things mean depending on convenience. Besides, isn't there something on there about "are you the actual purchaser?" Maybe I'm making that up, I need to buy more guns. I wouldn't put anything on a 4473 that was anything less than the absolute truth, though. I like my guns, fresh air, and just about every other aspect of being on the outside of federal prison.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If the 18 year old were to fill out the 4473, to attempt to purchase the gun herself, would she be allowed? If not, she has to fall into one of those categories (assuming that's the offical ATF definition, etc.)

No, she would be declined for a purchase based on age. The Federal govt sets the rules for FFLs and has told them not to sell to to 18 years olds. There is no federal law that says 18 year olds can't own, so that is where the strangeness comes from.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No, she would be declined for a purchase based on age. The Federal govt sets the rules for FFLs and has told them not to sell to to 18 years olds. There is no federal law that says 18 year olds can't own, so that is where the strangeness comes from.

Exactly. If the 18 year old cannot complete the purchase on her own, it seems to me to be the very definition of a straw purchase if somebody else does it in her stead with the intent of immediately selling it to her.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Seems to me that someone tried this out in court, and won. The 4473 does say "actual purchaser" but it doesn't define how long you have to own said firearm before you sell it.
    If I remember correctly, they determined that legally, a person could stand at a gun shop counter and purchase a gun and then literally turn around and sell it to his buddy behind him, as a private transaction.
    I don't have to worry about it. All of my siblings are old enough to buy their own guns. :draw:

Top Bottom