• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    So, I got this 3a that I like a lot. I bought some new grips for it a few weeks ago and they make the gun look bad (Not cool bad, just ugly) when I put em on. So I thought hey Ill just have it reblued and all will be good., but then I found out that it was going to be around 400 bones to get it done. So I don't know. Is it worth putting more into a gun than its worth if you really like it. In this case there's no sentimental value I just like it, and its the most beat up piece I own. Maybe it would be better to sell it and try to find a nicer original one. What's the verdict? Leave it alone, It runs great or maybe sell it and find a nicer one or just spend the money on it and make it llok new? A few pics of what it looks like now.

1650122426084.jpeg

1650122476217.jpeg

1650122519322.jpeg

1650122555503.jpeg

1650122609735.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ya the pics make it look better than it does in person, what really bugs me is the area on top of the slide, if it wasnt for that I probably would just leave it alone but that pitting really bugs me.
    I once had a CZ82 that had chips and dings in the phosphate finish that they use, and I got some of the rattle can "cerakote" or "durakote", whatever and did it myself. Wasn't perfect but it looked a lot better than it did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    I have had maybe 2 of these back in the day. They were not reliable. Nor really accurate as I would like.
    Also had a few on the bench that friends owned.
    Like I said, if it runs good and you like it :woot: keep it and enjoy the patina.....:)
    Well, guess im lucky or your unlucky, I own 3 Spanish pistols, 2 Stars an F and an A and this Llama, and all of them function great.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So, I got this 3a that I like a lot. I bought some new grips for it a few weeks ago and they make the gun look bad (Not cool bad, just ugly) when I put em on. So I thought hey Ill just have it reblued and all will be good., but then I found out that it was going to be around 400 bones to get it done. So I don't know. Is it worth putting more into a gun than its worth if you really like it. In this case there's no sentimental value I just like it, and its the most beat up piece I own. Maybe it would be better to sell it and try to find a nicer original one. What's the verdict? Leave it alone, It runs great or maybe sell it and find a nicer one or just spend the money on it and make it llok new? A few pics of what it looks like now.

View attachment 195143

View attachment 195144

View attachment 195145

View attachment 195146

View attachment 195147

Use that and steel wool and blue it until you like what you see.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon

Use that and steel wool and blue it until you like what you see.
    I am considering this option also, but I dont know. Thanks

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I want to see pictures with the new grips....I've owned 2 Llamas over the years first from the 80's ran pretty good after I polished the feed ramp, and the other was close to an original 1911, used 1911 mags, not proprietary Llama mags, liked it alot....

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I want to see pictures with the new grips....I've owned 2 Llamas over the years first from the 80's ran pretty good after I polished the feed ramp, and the other was close to an original 1911, used 1911 mags, not proprietary Llama mags, liked it alot....

I have an uncle that owned llamas, but he eventually got rid of them. He found the market was better for alpaca fleece.

There.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It's a llama. I definitely wouldn't spend $400 to have it refinished. But if it works and you like it, I definitely wouldn't sell it, either...more than likely if you sold it to buy a prettier one, you'd end up with a pretty gun that doesn't work!

I'm not a fan of spray on finishes like cerakote, especially on older guns like this...they basically ammount to gun paint, and guns from this era just look wrong with that sort of finish on them, IMO. Save the cerakote for the Glocks and XDs and stuff like that....it works well on them.

Were it mine, I'd probably consider turning it into a project and rust bluing it myself. Rust blue is more durable than cold blue, and IMO yields better results. It's more time consuming that cold blue, but still doesn't require special tanks or huge vats of chemicals. There was a recent thread in the gunsmithing section here about it, and lots of videos and tutorials online. I still haven't perfected the process for myself, but I did an S&W 31 and it ended up as a big improvement over what I started with, so I'll call that a win.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's a llama. I definitely wouldn't spend $400 to have it refinished. But if it works and you like it, I definitely wouldn't sell it, either...more than likely if you sold it to buy a prettier one, you'd end up with a pretty gun that doesn't work!

I'm not a fan of spray on finishes like cerakote, especially on older guns like this...they basically ammount to gun paint, and guns from this era just look wrong with that sort of finish on them, IMO. Save the cerakote for the Glocks and XDs and stuff like that....it works well on them.

Were it mine, I'd probably consider turning it into a project and rust bluing it myself. Rust blue is more durable than cold blue, and IMO yields better results. It's more time consuming that cold blue, but still doesn't require special tanks or huge vats of chemicals. There was a recent thread in the gunsmithing section here about it, and lots of videos and tutorials online. I still haven't perfected the process for myself, but I did an S&W 31 and it ended up as a big improvement over what I started with, so I'll call that a win.
    @Mongo59 I think had a thread about rust bluing IIRC. He might be a good source of info. He's always willing to help out with his knowledge of restoring older guns.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am considering this option also, but I dont know. Thanks
    I would probably contact @AllenM and ask him about coating it.
    It won't be blued, but it will be more uniform than the Oxpho-Blue.

That stuff works good for small spots, but is hard to do a whole piece and it be uniform and nice. In my experience at least.

I love the Llamas and Stars. Remind me of back in the day, we all had a few. Should have kept one. My buddy has a couple he held on to and I always try to get the BM off of him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would probably contact @AllenM and ask him about coating it.
    It won't be blued, but it will be more uniform than the Oxpho-Blue.

That stuff works good for small spots, but is hard to do a whole piece and it be uniform and nice. In my experience at least.

I love the Llamas and Stars. Remind me of back in the day, we all had a few. Should have kept one. My buddy has a couple he held on to and I always try to get the BM off of him.
    I had a BM and wound up selling it. Still have my my Super B though.

1650144576473.jpeg

Top Bottom