• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you REALLY want to think outside the box for long-distance recovery, I've seen a collapsible "garden wagon" that folds relatively flat, has largish wheels, and would enable you to carry more "stuff" since, if you keep to "roads," it would be easier to pull a substantial load than to carry it on your back - and might save your feet as well.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all the information guys! It seems there has been a lot of varying opinions on how to go about this. Some people put 200 miles like why would I bug out that far on foot? But I won't have a choice to go that far, I'll be getting home to family. Yes, I can physically handle 200 miles. I know it will be tough but family is a pretty good motivation. Plus, college athletics prepare you for tough conditioning. I'm thinking I'll be going with a lightweight option. Mainly first aid, some high calorie energy bars, and basic survival stuff. I've decided on a thin tarp to be used as shelter. The routes I'll be going will be rural so I'll be so far off the beaten path to worry about drawing attention with a big fire. Plus, I'll have mainly small towns, less than 5000 people on my route, so I'm planning on maybe some small town hospitality or knowing a client in the town for help along the way. I'll adjust my clothing based on the season. My main struggle right now is nice boots or running shoes. Both have advantages.

Would this his make a decent bag? Seems lightweight, won't take up much space in my vehicle, and a lot of storage.
    LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack

As for water, I'm planning on having a water bottle with me and using the sawyer mini water filter to save space and weight. I have maps of the states I'll be in and already know there's plenty of rivers, lakes and ponds around.

Is their anything else I'm overlooking?

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I forgot to add, I'll have my EDC glock 22. I'm probably going to throw a box of ammo in my pack and my .22 rifle with couple 100 founds for it. Don't want to carry a rifle because Of the weight and attention it would draw. And i can take squirrel and rabbit with my .22.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I cover a territory that stretches from Minnesota south to Missouri and everything east to Maine. I travel about 22 weeks a year.

I focus first on the rules of 3 (3 min without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food) and prioritize from there.

Layers of clothes are better than a thick coat. Fire is extremely important so have lots of ways to make it. A lighter is guaranteed flame not a guaranteed fire. Learn to make a Dakota fire. Have a scavengers mentality. You can't carry everything you need so make use of anything you can find. Containers are a necessity.

Lots of good suggestions this far, except for the dude who's gonna hike 50 miles a day. Get real.

I like maxpedition gear. It's hard use stuff that will hold up for you. I have a falcon 2. You can connect a proteus or saber cat to it which should give you enough space for everything in two merged bags.

The peace of mind to know your family at home has a plan for their survival will help tremendously. Knowing they're safe helps to focus on getting back home. Plan your work route, then a back up route and another back up route.

That's a snippet of how I go about it. YMMV

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Its just a little amazing how many people apparently don't walk. Its 10 miles from huntertown to downtown ft Wayne. It takes me 3 hours to walk it. So after walking 10 miles in 3 hours, what are you guys going to do with the other 21 hours of the day? Build a fire in front of your tent and read a book?

When this country was originally laid out, there was a town every 7 miles. That was because the farmers could be no more than an hour away from the nearest town. You aren't going to hike across country because its all private property. We will all be on a road.

Study any map. Look at all the towns laid out every 7 miles in every direction.

I spent a month on my harley once. No tent or motels or big fires. There are plenty of places to find shelter as long as you get in very late and leave very early.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Its just a little amazing how many people apparently don't walk. Its 10 miles from huntertown to downtown ft Wayne. It takes me 3 hours to walk it. So after walking 10 miles in 3 hours, what are you guys going to do with the other 21 hours of the day? Build a fire in front of your tent and read a book?

When this country was originally laid out, there was a town every 7 miles. That was because the farmers could be no more than an hour away from the nearest town. You aren't going to hike across country because its all private property. We will all be on a road.

I spent a month on my harley once. No tent or motels or big fires. There are plenty of places to find shelter as long as you get in very late and leave very early.

Ok, you're a rock star. Congrats.

I don't make my plans on the best case scenario, I make them on the worst. If I can hike out 50 miles in a day, I'm way ahead of schedule but I'm not counting on that. If I'm walking home from Minnesota, Maine, New York or even Ohio, the S has majorly hit the fan and ideal conditions are out the window.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana

I don't make my plans on the best case scenario, I make them on the worst. If I can hike out 50 miles in a day, I'm way ahead of schedule but I'm not counting on that. If I'm walking home from Minnesota, Maine, New York or even Ohio, the S has majorly hit the fan and ideal conditions are out the window.

Fully Agree with this! I'm planning on pumping out 3-4 miles an hour and walking for 10-14 hours a day. so ill be looking anywhere from 30-50 miles a day depending on conditions. My plan is to not be on major roads. My job leads me to many small towns, not big ones. Im going to be taking roads pretty much the whole way, but they are going to be country roads. Not major highways. In a situation where getting home to my family will be a top priority, I wont be risking staying in places that are going to be getting me shot because im an intruder. Ill either man up and ask the owners to stay in the barn, or I will be far enough off any country road that I wont be worried about unwanted company, or at least 2 legged unwanted company.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Good stuff so far but I would add:

Road flares - Will start almost anything on fire. Use your regular fire starting stuff when it will work and save the flares for that nice 35 deg and been-raining-for-a-week day. Cold and wet is about the most dangerous weather and also the hardest to start fires in. The have other uses also like signaling (if you want to be seen) and can be a crude but effective weapon. They come in different burn times but are usually the same physical size so I get at least 30min ones.

Not gear but suggestions- If it's cold, STAY DRY no matter what. Also be careful on rough terrain. If you chose to move off road, move with purpose. Meaning pay attention to where you're stepping and where you are going. You don't want to end up having to back track or walking into a bad situation because you were zoned out. Sounds stupid now, I know, but cold (or hot), hungry, tired and maybe scared is a whole different hike.

Minimize risk. Take a few extra steps to go around that big fallen tree instead of over and jumping down if possible. A popped knee or rolled ankle is a game changer in a real bad way in this situation.
    Good luck!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

I think about this scenario all the time. I think, what would I do, if the charter bus I am driving stops running and all the cars and trucks on the road suddenly stop too. This week alone, I will be in Washington DC Tuesday though Thursday. And Evart Michigan Friday and then again Sunday. I wonder about buying a horse or bicycle to help me to get home.

I have traveled on the harley trying to stay low key for the last 40 years. I am 62 and 100 lbs over what I should be. I have two of the finest knees money can buy. The last time I took my little walk to Ft Wayne was January 2011. I don't think that overloading on gear guarantees anything. A pocket full of jerky and some hard candy and a blanket can take a person a very long way. I know that the motivation to get home will be very strong. I am also convinced that I and many others will not survive the journey. No matter how much gear we have the foresight to amass.

For me, worst case scenario is the raccoons that destroy my pack and food in the middle of the night or the guys that ambush me and take my stuff.

I drove home this morning after dropping off my passengers at the Indy airport. I think I counted 9 rivers and streams that I-69 crosses on that 100 mile or so trip. Not a single one would I want to slosh across. If I had to walk home, I would just be on the same road I was driving on. And trying to stay low key.

I saw dozens of places along the route that would make a good temporary shelter if I didn't have a tent or sleeping bag. I think I would have seen lots more places at 2 mph instead of 70 mph.

FWIW, here is a few things I have learned over the years:

If the temperature is below freezing, you might as well keep moving. To fall asleep when alone means you won't wake up.

If you stop, it must be after midnight and you need to be moving again by 4AM. If there are any dogs barking in the area, you might as well keep moving.

Stay away from private property.

Good places to take shelter are,

Golf course storage buildings
    Construction sites (buildings, trailers, equipment)
    School and park playgrounds
    Abandoned buildings

There are probably more, these are just some that I have used.

I urge all you guys to pick a town 20 miles from where you are right now and have someone drop you off there and walk back to your home. It isn't as bad as you might think to walk those miles and it will give you a chance to test yourself and your gear.

Incidently, when I was 14 I used a canoe to travel from St Cloud Minnesota to Minneapolis on the Mississippi river. Two portages and two days is what it took. I don't know really how many miles it was. 90, 120 miles? That was 1965. It was quite an adventure.

There are waterways everywhere. Just saying....

Last edited:

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States

Abandoned buildings

I urge all you guys to pick a town 20 miles from where you are right now and have someone drop you off there and walk back to your home. It isn't as bad as you might think to walk those miles and it will give you a chance to test yourself and your gear.

Incidently, when I was 14 I used a canoe to travel from St Cloud Minnesota to Minneapolis on the Mississippi river. Two portages and two days is what it took. I don't know really how many miles it was. 90, 120 miles? That was 1965. It was quite an adventure.

Very good info, especially about the water! Knowing where the crossings are would be very helpful. Hitting the river and having to follow it's winding path to find a crossing (hoping you picked the easiest way) would slow things down a lot compared to having an idea of where to cross from the get go.

I grew up in northern MN also and spent a lot of time outdoors. I moved from MN to south east Alaska which is actually much warmer and I had a tough time adjusting. It hovers around 35 degrees and everything is wet..always. It was more miserable than any 5 degree night I had spent trapping back home. When it's really cold at least you have a chance to stay dry. Personal preference I guess!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yeah, cold is far preferable to wet. I grew up on the iron range in Minnesota near Goodland. I had uncles that took me and my brothers out to learn. Having a toasted sandwich in the middle of the day is still one of my favorite memories. It doesn't take much of a fire, but it sure warms a person up and rejuvenates the spirit. Even back then, it was impossible to get truly lost. If you just walk a line, eventually you come across something. Or at least, that was what we were taught and shown. Its been a couple hundred years since you could get lost in the wilderness. I have always appreciated roads. Even primitive ones. A road will always take u somewhere.

One of my uncles leased land that he logged for paper pulp. I learned a lot from him. I need to find a way to pass on what I learned to my grandchildren.

One thing I won't waste time on is what make of backpack is best.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think about this scenario all the time. I think, what would I do, if the charter bus I am driving stops running and all the cars and trucks on the road suddenly stop too. This week alone, I will be in Washington DC Tuesday though Thursday. And Evart Michigan Friday and then again Sunday. I wonder about buying a horse or bicycle to help me to get home.

I have traveled on the harley trying to stay low key for the last 40 years. I am 62 and 100 lbs over what I should be. I have two of the finest knees money can buy. The last time I took my little walk to Ft Wayne was January 2011. I don't think that overloading on gear guarantees anything. A pocket full of jerky and some hard candy and a blanket can take a person a very long way. I know that the motivation to get home will be very strong. I am also convinced that I and many others will not survive the journey. No matter how much gear we have the foresight to amass.

For me, worst case scenario is the raccoons that destroy my pack and food in the middle of the night or the guys that ambush me and take my stuff.

I drove home this morning after dropping off my passengers at the Indy airport. I think I counted 9 rivers and streams that I-69 crosses on that 100 mile or so trip. Not a single one would I want to slosh across. If I had to walk home, I would just be on the same road I was driving on. And trying to stay low key.

I saw dozens of places along the route that would make a good temporary shelter if I didn't have a tent or sleeping bag. I think I would have seen lots more places at 2 mph instead of 70 mph.

FWIW, here is a few things I have learned over the years:

If the temperature is below freezing, you might as well keep moving. To fall asleep when alone means you won't wake up.

If you stop, it must be after midnight and you need to be moving again by 4AM. If there are any dogs barking in the area, you might as well keep moving.

Stay away from private property.

Abandoned buildings

+1 really good insights here

I agree that you have to plan for basically having nothing but I'm not going to bring nothing. My GHB weighs less than 30 lbs and I'm still trying to lighten it up.

Thanks for for sharing some experience.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the information guys! It seems there has been a lot of varying opinions on how to go about this. Some people put 200 miles like why would I bug out that far on foot? But I won't have a choice to go that far, I'll be getting home to family. Yes, I can physically handle 200 miles. I know it will be tough but family is a pretty good motivation. Plus, college athletics prepare you for tough conditioning. I'm thinking I'll be going with a lightweight option. Mainly first aid, some high calorie energy bars, and basic survival stuff. I've decided on a thin tarp to be used as shelter. The routes I'll be going will be rural so I'll be so far off the beaten path to worry about drawing attention with a big fire. Plus, I'll have mainly small towns, less than 5000 people on my route, so I'm planning on maybe some small town hospitality or knowing a client in the town for help along the way. I'll adjust my clothing based on the season. My main struggle right now is nice boots or running shoes. Both have advantages.

Would this his make a decent bag? Seems lightweight, won't take up much space in my vehicle, and a lot of storage.
    LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack

As for water, I'm planning on having a water bottle with me and using the sawyer mini water filter to save space and weight. I have maps of the states I'll be in and already know there's plenty of rivers, lakes and ponds around.

Is their anything else I'm overlooking?

I think you should look for something bigger than a 3-day pack if you're looking at a long walk back. I think if I were you, I'd look at a civilian-grade expedition pack - and I'd look for it on Ebay or a surplus equipment site. Consider the extra equipment you might need for cold weather travel and the bulk required for winter clothing and insulation. It's probably better to put stuff like that and a sleeping bag INSIDE your pack, if you can, rather than having to hang it all over the outside of your pack. If conditions are such that you don't need all that extra "stuff," a quality expedition pack can be compressed to keep the load next to your back for the most comfortable carry.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

That's all good, assuming it isn't snowing out, or you're not wading in mud up to your ankles, or the temperature isn't -20F with a 30 mph wind. I'm with buckstopshere: prepare for the worst weather conditions you can think of. Oh, and BTW, under what circumstances do you suppose will the OP or anyone else have to E & E 200 miles to get home? You can be it will be a serious situation which will not lend itself to renting a car, hitching a ride, or imposing on suspicious strangers - perhaps with "No Trespassing" signs posted prominently on their property. Quite literally: Your Mileage May Vary.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My major point in all of this is that the guys who think that if they just buy the right bag to carry their gear, everything will be OK, are just fooling themselves.

I really urge everyone to go for a walk. A longer walk than they think is possible. 20 miles is a half day walk. That is a fact with all the roads available to all of us today. Going cross country is not an option given all the roads. Heck, if you try to go cross country, you have to work to stay off roads.

If you are up to your ankles in mud while walking, just move off 500 yards and get on a road. It really is that simple.

I see guys and the dog passing through Ft Wayne frequently on the old indian trail. Not a one has a fancy bag or equipment. But they do have lots of stuff.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I used to drive all around southern Indiana and Kentucky for my work. Up to three or so hours away (by interstate) so I knew I would have a long walk back should something go wrong. I kept a bag in my truck with a change of rugged clothes, goretex poncho, two pair of merino wool socks and a set of my good old Bates goretex boots from years gone past. Marlin Papoose under the rear bench seat and a SP101 to hang on my belt. Get home bag with first aid, water filter, power bars, knife, ammo, ect...

I strongly considered getting something like a Montague folding bicycle if I was going to keep up that kind of traveling, but things changed and I now just have to worry about crossing the Ohio river from the airport in Louisville back to Indiana now. Plenty of boats along the river, figure I could always convince someone to take me across if necessary should the bridges be out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very good info here guys! sloughfoot has me pretty much completely sold except for one thing. If circumstances dictate a long walk on public roads with no chance of finding transportation, wouldn't that dictate being well armed?

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have an Osprey 70 liter pack that's really comfy and will hike 20# forever without getting too rough on a person. I've decided to go with the USMC ILBE/assault pack combo for a distance pack. Holds more, more durable but heavier. Refining your skills with your equipment is more important than what you bring. Every person's situation is different, as well as their load bearing ability. Ruck it now or pay later. 40 pounds is max for me, with water.

Tactical Training by Max Velocity | Real Rucking - Tactical Training by Max Velocity

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    If you're thinking about taking a .22 rifle; a Ruger 10/.22 with a Butler Creek metal folding stock will fit in most 3-Day backpacks.

Top Bottom