• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Backpacking Light would be a great reference, as stated above. Also, check out whiteblaze.net, the forum for the Appalachian Trail. Plenty of gear lists for hiking the full 2000 miles down to a weekend trip of 20-30. Start with the 10 essentials and scale up from there. Honestly, I'd stay away, far away, from a vast majority of the ubiquitous "tactical" and milsurp gear (MREs, ALICE pack/Assault Pack, etc.). There are tons of lighter, more durable pieces of gear at your local REI, Campmor, or even (somewhat) Dicks Sporting Goods.

This from above "The heaviest part of my pack were the 15 x 16oz water bottles (5 per day) for hydration" is INSANE. That's 75% of the weight of my pack TOTAL for 3 days. Buy a decent bladder and water bottle and a good filter. The MSR Sweetwater is good, I personally use the Sawyer Squeeze. As with most things, 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so throw in a bottle of Aquamira tabs as a 2nd method of purification.

Esbit stoves are ideal for this type of use, they weigh nothing, and will start with little effort from some waterproof matches (or matches in a waterproof container) or bic lighter.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Backpacking Light would be a great reference, as stated above. Also, check out whiteblaze.net, the forum for the Appalachian Trail. Plenty of gear lists for hiking the full 2000 miles down to a weekend trip of 20-30. Start with the 10 essentials and scale up from there. Honestly, I'd stay away, far away, from a vast majority of the ubiquitous "tactical" and milsurp gear (MREs, ALICE pack/Assault Pack, etc.). There are tons of lighter, more durable pieces of gear at your local REI, Campmor, or even (somewhat) Dicks Sporting Goods.

This from above "The heaviest part of my pack were the 15 x 16oz water bottles (5 per day) for hydration" is INSANE. That's 75% of the weight of my pack TOTAL for 3 days. Buy a decent bladder and water bottle and a good filter. The MSR Sweetwater is good, I personally use the Sawyer Squeeze. As with most things, 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so throw in a bottle of Aquamira tabs as a 2nd method of purification.

Esbit stoves are ideal for this type of use, they weigh nothing, and will start with little effort from some waterproof matches (or matches in a waterproof container) or bic lighter.

Good advice, but this thread has been more for bug out or sustainment pack. Hard to go lightweight when you have to carry everything you need to survive and scrounge food. I pack lightweight and ruck sometimes too. Depends on what I'm doing or what I'm training for. Not many armed bandits on the AT, unless you count bears. It is relevant with regard to finding gear to lighten your pack. I'm a geardo, so I do own 4 different type stoves. Each for a purpose and they are packed where they will need to be for proper use. Same with water filters. I have 4 means to filter water placed in different packs or in storage.

For instance, My Omnifuel stove that will burn anything from diesel fuel to propane goes in my trailer, along with my sawyer filter kit for buckets. My lightweight pack has the Sawyer mini and an esbit stove. My go anywhere pack has a Katdyn Hiker Pro and an MSR pocket rocket stove. My get home bag in the truck has a lightweight isobutane cheapo stove and small canisters along with water purification tabs. In all honesty, the get home bag gets used on the job to make coffee more than I'd like to admit with the weather as cold as it is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good advice, but this thread has been more for bug out or sustainment pack. Hard to go lightweight when you have to carry everything you need to survive and scrounge food. I pack lightweight and ruck sometimes too. Depends on what I'm doing or what I'm training for. Not many armed bandits on the AT, unless you count bears. It is relevant with regard to finding gear to lighten your pack. I'm a geardo, so I do own 4 different type stoves. Each for a purpose and they are packed where they will need to be for proper use. Same with water filters. I have 4 means to filter water placed in different packs or in storage.

For instance, My Omnifuel stove that will burn anything from diesel fuel to propane goes in my trailer, along with my sawyer filter kit for buckets. My lightweight pack has the Sawyer mini and an esbit stove. My go anywhere pack has a Katdyn Hiker Pro and an MSR pocket rocket stove. My get home bag in the truck has a lightweight isobutane cheapo stove and small canisters along with water purification tabs. In all honesty, the get home bag gets used on the job to make coffee more than I'd like to admit with the weather as cold as it is.

If you use it you know how when the need arises. We did a 3 day gear test last summer. One of the guy's just up-dated all his gear and had never used essential pieces. Had to learn on the fly. It was good there were 4 of us. He might have had a rough time.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI

I don't think it would be hard to take some of the BPL advice and cut some heavier items from our lists. Those guys there have it down to ounces, and where we might want something more than a swiss army classic mini, they dont. There are DIY tricks all over that forum, and a great gear exchange. I've purchased multiple pieces at discount. There are always ways to lighten.

For example, if you went with no-cook food you wouldn't need any of those stoves, or perhaps just a cat can stove for backup, with a bottle of heet and a fancy feast can in a Ti mug, if you really need to boil some water. Just one example, and it may not be for everyone, but some weight savings does allow for extra 'other' stuff.

I will disagree and say that I like a few pieces of heavy milsurp though, hellcat modded alice pack being one of them, at a crushing 7lbs vs a typical REI (deuter is nice) type pack at maybe 2.5-3 lbs. External frames let your back breathe. My internal pack made me very, very hot testing it at 24lbs last summer.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would check out the 5.11 rush 72 back pack, perfect size and rugged with well laid out compartments.

I like to keep the pack light, you have a lot of distance to cover and light equals fast! First aid, water, food, fire.

I would NOT skip a hydration pack, I am using a Geigerrig 3L and it slips right in the pack and requires no sucking, again it keeps you moving which is what you want when you have family at home waiting on you, being able to keep moving while taking in water and caleries should get you home fast.

I would want a holstered weapon and spare mags at the ready so you can move and shoot, digging through your bag to find a fighting tool will suck.

Might look into some 8x-10x binoculars so you can go get down and look ahead so you know you have a clear path without danger.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In these extreme weather conditions how many of us could "get home" with our existing bag.

Assuming I could do the walk (possibly a major assumption) I imagine I could get it done: I always dress myself for the worst weather I expect; have extra foul weather clothing in the car; have additional layers in my BOB; carry extra food and water on trips. Back in the 70s I went out one afternoon on a flight that should have taken four hours, without a jacket and with $.26 in my pocket. I got home three long, miserable, wet days later. I learned a valuable lesson from that and I've tried never to repeat that error.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In these extreme weather conditions how many of us could "get home" with our existing bag.
    How many people can change a tire, at night, in wind and rain with temps in the 40's to 50's with the gear they keep in their vehicle? I will bet not many. When I was in college that became my standard minimum for year round gear and additional gear on board to shelter in place in my vehicle.

I have spent days on end on foot, ski or snowshoe, in teams or groups with packs and pulling gear sleds or just with packs. Guys just heading down the road for a 1-4 mile hike in 18" or more of snow and chest high drifts with sub zero windchill are in for a surprise. Then the surprise turns to fear and it's over. Knowing when to roll and when to shelter in place and how to do it is a huge lifesaver.

I will add something I learned from an event when I 13. I had two choices, route A I will probably make it before temps drop too much and kill me, but if I don't they won't find my body until spring. Route B easier going, but way too long, I won't make it but at least they will find my body. I sat there a few minutes to reassess how screwed I really was. I had broken every rule in the book. Sheltering in place was not an option. I made the choice of route A and headed out. After that, I learned additional tricks that would have given me a shot at staying put. Live and learn but I do think you have to go out and live it to learn it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How many people can change a tire, at night, in wind and rain with temps in the 40's to 50's with the gear they keep in their vehicle? I will bet not many. When I was in college that became my standard minimum for year round gear and additional gear on board to shelter in place in my vehicle.

I have spent days on end on foot, ski or snowshoe, in teams or groups with packs and pulling gear sleds or just with packs. Guys just heading down the road for a 1-4 mile hike in 18" or more of snow and chest high drifts with sub zero windchill are in for a surprise. Then the surprise turns to fear and it's over. Knowing when to roll and when to shelter in place and how to do it is a huge lifesaver.

I will add something I learned from an event when I 13. I had two choices, route A I will probably make it before temps drop too much and kill me, but if I don't they won't find my body until spring. Route B easier going, but way too long, I won't make it but at least they will find my body. I sat there a few minutes to reassess how screwed I really was. I had broken every rule in the book. Sheltering in place was not an option. I made the choice of route A and headed out. After that, I learned additional tricks that would have given me a shot at staying put. Live and learn but I do think you have to go out and live it to learn it.

This is the reality of GHB. If you have never used your system it is not a guarantee of survival. The skills have to be in place and currant.
    I do not have all the knowledge that Zoub and others who post here have acquired through the years but I can survive. I do realize that due to age and physical condition that I am not humping the distance the OP is stating. Just is no going to happen.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is the reality of GHB. If you have never used your system it is not a guarantee of survival. The skills have to be in place and currant.
    I do not have all the knowledge that Zoub and others who post here have acquired through the years but I can survive. I do realize that due to age and physical condition that I am not humping the distance the OP is stating. Just is no going to happen.[/QUOTE

Consider this. Just go for a walk sometime. Dressed for the weather. Put a couple of mints or a can of tuna in your pocket. Don't worry about having a stove or a tent or a 40 below sleeping bag. Or a backpack, no matter the weight. Walk as far as you can. Then turn around and walk home. You can walk a lot farther than you think you can. On a lot less than what is advocated by lots of people.

If you get into trouble that you can't resolve, just get on the cell phone and call for help. Work it out now, not when you don't have a lot of options.

From a 295 lb, 62 year old man with two of the best knees money can buy.

I have a pretty good idea what I can do because I enjoy going for walks.

FWIW. I have never even considered that I might need a stove to walk home. I kind of enjoy cold beans....:):

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do not have all the knowledge that Zoub and others who post here have acquired through the years but I can survive. I do realize that due to age and physical condition that I am not humping the distance the OP is stating. Just is no going to happen.[/QUOTE

Consider this. Just go for a walk sometime. Dressed for the weather. Put a couple of mints or a can of tuna in your pocket. Don't worry about having a stove or a tent or a 40 below sleeping bag. Or a backpack, no matter the weight. Walk as far as you can. Then turn around and walk home. You can walk a lot farther than you think you can. On a lot less than what is advocated by lots of people.

If you get into trouble that you can't resolve, just get on the cell phone and call for help. Work it out now, not when you don't have a lot of options.

From a 295 lb, 62 year old man with two of the best knees money can buy.

I have a pretty good idea what I can do because I enjoy going for walks.

FWIW. I have never even considered that I might need a stove to walk home. I kind of enjoy cold beans....:):

Well yeah, bionic and all that ....:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How many people could improvise and use their surroundings to make it if they lost their gear? Knowledge is more valuable than stuff. But I do believe in having the basic stuff to give me a good head start in staying alive and completing the mission whatever that may be.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    200 miles is a long walk. I think the most important thing is weight. If you pack heavy you're going to be dumping a bunch of non essentials along the way= wasted money and energy. stay light as possible.
    Invest in some quality footwear and break them in, then put them in the bag. pack extra socks. nothing feels better than putting on good quality dry socks.

water. You don't want to carry a ton of weight in water. Get a bladder and some tablets

shelter. a good poncho or tarp. i wouldn't suggest "setting up camp" in a get home situation. Just wrap up, stay dry and sleep for an hour or two. stay off the ground if at all possible. It will suck the heat out of you and you will freeze to death.

food. you just need some high calorie foods. whatever floats you're boat here. if you wanna cook get an alcohol stove or a pocket rocket type stove that runs on canisters and a ti mug with a spoon. hot food is a huge morale booster

defense. Avoid contact. Don't man up and ask a farmer, he's scared and he just might blow you off his porch. What are you gonna do if he wants to disarm you? just Avoid contact. if it happens then break contact. I wouldn't suggest multiple firearms or spare ammo. a few mags should do. You're not going to have time to hunt. You have a family to get back to.

I would suggest some good quality clothing. in weather like this you will freeze to death and you don't have time or extra energy to stop and make multiple fires while you're moving.

A lot of all this gear suggestion is going to depend on your comfort level also. Not everyone will be hungry enough to eat cold beans out of a can yet.

Of course in warmer months a lot this won't be an issue and you can take things out.

just my input. it's worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Wish I still had a scanner, I would put up a couple pics of my Dad in Greenland or maybe on ice island T1. They are eating Campbell's soup straight from the can and warming them on an Esbit stove. Circa 1949-1950 before Korea. German engineering baby. If it works up there it works in the lower 48. That is the stove I carry. Not the chicom crapola, true Esbit stoves. I have made a few minor tweaks to mine so they are a bit more efficient which allows me to also use a small alcohol stove in them, but I see no reason to carry more unless I am trying to cook or camping.

As for just walking, if I only get to choose one thing, the Esbit stays but the Glock comes with me. I am not taking a knife to a wolf fight.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I am in a very similar situation, long distances from home for a period of time.

Protection.
    Food.
    Water Treatment.
    Maps.
    Cash.
    Dependable vehicle.
    First Aid.(Meds)
    Knife.
    Altoids Tin.
    Clothes.

I'm not going to pack any sort of shelter or gallons of water. This is the mid-west and if shtf it doesn't automatically take us back to the stone age. Will be cars, buildings houses for shelter everywhere. Creeks, rivers and lakes everywhere. Everybody talking about hiking home 200 hundred miles? I'm going to drive as far as possible then take another car and drive as far as I can. If SHTF and you react in the first 24 hours I think you will have a high chance of making it home. People will be out of place not understanding what is happening.

PLAN, REACT, and UTILIZE.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I am in a very similar situation, long distances from home for a period of time.

Protection.
    Food.
    Water Treatment.
    Maps.
    Cash.
    Dependable vehicle.
    First Aid.(Meds)
    Knife.
    Altoids Tin.
    Clothes.

I'm not going to pack any sort of shelter or gallons of water. This is the mid-west and if shtf it doesn't automatically take us back to the stone age. Will be cars, buildings houses for shelter everywhere. Creeks, rivers and lakes everywhere. Everybody talking about hiking home 200 hundred miles? I'm going to drive as far as possible then take another car and drive as far as I can. If SHTF and you react in the first 24 hours I think you will have a high chance of making it home. People will be out of place not understanding what is happening.

PLAN, REACT, and UTILIZE.
    That's great and all, but the OP specifically asked about walking home...
    Whatever the situation may be, this will be for any situation up to walking 200 miles back home.
    So, be it roadblocks and checkpoints, geological disruption, the ubiquitous EMP (assuming those who believe it will fry everything are correct), or whatever, rather than saying I'm gonna take this car, then that car, then that other vehicle, what are you gonna do if you have to hoof it? Because that's the question at hand.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    That's great and all, but the OP specifically asked about walking home...

So, be it roadblocks and checkpoints, geological disruption, the ubiquitous EMP (assuming those who believe it will fry everything are correct), or whatever, rather than saying I'm gonna take this car, then that car, then that other vehicle, what are you gonna do if you have to hoof it? Because that's the question at hand.

Take maps of the areas to be traveled. I also have a GHB. If I do have to walk then that is what I will do. I agree walking 200+ miles is gonna be rough and require the right tools. My point is get moving while the gettin is good and don't focus on packing everything you would to to go on a 30 mile hike. Weight will slow you down and wear you out before you ever make it to your family.

Top Bottom