• ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    This is exactly right.

1) Not sure why everyone thinks they're a sniper? I would be comfortable saying 90% of deer in Indiana are taken inside 100 yards. I've been deer hunting for over 30 years. I've never shot a deer past 200 yards, and I hunt in an elevated blind on the edge of a cornfield where I could easily take 400 yard shots. Could I have shot a doe at that distance? Sure. But why?

2) Know your specific cartridge ballistics. If you're shooting a 308 or anything similar, you'll likely be able to take a deer at 200 yards or more with zero holdover. There's no need to muck around with tactical turrets on a rifle at 400 yards or less.

3) Most people are going to be disappointed in what they shoot at 400 yards, if they're trophy hunting. Good luck being able to identify that trophy deer at that distance.

4). Most rifles at a reasonable price (TC Venture, Savage 110, Ruger American, CVA Cascade, and even the Savage Axis) are going to outshoot the operator. You can buy a $1,000+ rifle and an $800 scope if you want to brag about it to your buddies. But it's totally unnecessary for Indiana deer hunting. Going elk hunting out west? Well, that's a different story.

5). Please, please, please don't buy magnum cartridge guns for Indiana deer hunting. First of all, your shoulder will thank you later. Secondly, not many people are going to handle the recoil of a 300 Win Mag accurately. 30-06 is almost overkill.
    Actually in terms of scope i was looking at a Trijicon 2.5-10x with a BDC that I was planning to test at distance.

Also i'm not a trophy hunter. I just like to get out into nature and I want some meat in my freezer for my family to eat especially my son that hasn't been pumped full of soy and chemicals and hormones in a factory farm.

I might put some antlers above my gunsafe or workbench, but i don't want a taxidermied head up, strikes me as a bit to much vanity. The best part of the deal for me is being able to sit out in silence in the woods and pray as the sun comes up as you look out over nature

I agree in terms of magnum cartridges. The military drops people all the time with 5.56 and a deer and a person are about the same size. .308 will carry 1000 Ft-ibs of energy well past a Quater mile.

I'm interested in .308 more for economic reasons than anything else. Cheap and widely available brass, factory ammo, BDC reticles, load data, bullet election, and suppressor compatibility with a .30 caliber can with my .300 Blk AR

I do find some rounds like 6.5 grendel or 6mm arc interesting if you chamber them in a micro action 20 inch bolt gun as you can drive them a bit harder then in an AR but it would be strictly a handloaded affair

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Problem is--and I know you know this--that to shop carefully, a shooter has to know the difference.

And the problem THERE is that guys are generally terrible at asking for help because it might indicate they don't know everything.

...and the dealers/sellers, IF they know, sure aren't there to help.

Never-overheard-much-less-answered-at-the-1500:

"Why are there wear marks and scratches on this bolt lug, and not the other one?"
    It's hard to know the difference if one never gets beyond the marketing hype and price point in your shopping but yes, a lot of people would benefit from simply fondling as many different makes and models of rifles as possible.

Yes, terrible at asking for help not only because they are reluctant to ask and because they don't know who to ask/listen to.

I think a lot of people have an irrational fear of purchasing used rifles with shot out barrels. When the chances of that are relatively slim and other more concerning issues, as you mentioned, are bigger concerns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Actually in terms of scope i was looking at a Trijicon 2.5-10x with a BDC that I was planning to test at distance.

Also i'm not a trophy hunter. I just like to get out into nature and I want some meat in my freezer for my family to eat especially my son that hasn't been pumped full of soy and chemicals and hormones in a factory farm.

I might put some antlers above my gunsafe or workbench, but i don't want a taxidermied head up, strikes me as a bit to much vanity. The best part of the deal for me is being able to sit out in silence in the woods and pray as the sun comes up as you look out over nature

I agree in terms of magnum cartridges. The military drops people all the time with 5.56 and a deer and a person are about the same size. .308 will carry 1000 Ft-ibs of energy well past a Quater mile.

I'm interested in .308 more for economic reasons than anything else. Cheap and widely available brass, factory ammo, BDC reticles, load data, bullet election, and suppressor compatibility with a .30 caliber can with my .300 Blk AR

I do find some rounds like 6.5 grendel or 6mm arc interesting if you chamber them in a micro action 20 inch bolt gun as you can drive them a bit harder then in an AR but it would be strictly a handloaded affair
    FWIW the military also uses 300 Winchester Magnums ;)

Target shooting/hunting.......you'll want decent components. Cheap brass is of no real value.

Hunting, you'll probably want decent eye relief and a forgiving eyebox on your scope.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW thought about putting a NF on my 700 yote rifle, but the eye relief is a little shorter
    than I like (spec- haven't got behind one to verify).
    The Trijicon 2.5-10X has a 2.8" min eye relief, which might be doable. Don't think I need a 56 mm objective.
    My HS Precision stock doesn't have an adj comb. Like how it fits w just a 42mm obj scope.

Which brings me to how everything fits together. Sizing, weight......it tends to cost more when you get outside the "average".

Do think a specialized rifle to be a good thing.
    Gives one an excuse to buy more rifles :)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    This is exactly right.

1) Not sure why everyone thinks they're a sniper? I would be comfortable saying 90% of deer in Indiana are taken inside 100 yards. I've been deer hunting for over 30 years. I've never shot a deer past 200 yards, and I hunt in an elevated blind on the edge of a cornfield where I could easily take 400 yard shots. Could I have shot a doe at that distance? Sure. But why?

2) Know your specific cartridge ballistics. If you're shooting a 308 or anything similar, you'll likely be able to take a deer at 200 yards or more with zero holdover. There's no need to muck around with tactical turrets on a rifle at 400 yards or less.

3) Most people are going to be disappointed in what they shoot at 400 yards, if they're trophy hunting. Good luck being able to identify that trophy deer at that distance.

4). Most rifles at a reasonable price (TC Venture, Savage 110, Ruger American, CVA Cascade, and even the Savage Axis) are going to outshoot the operator. You can buy a $1,000+ rifle and an $800 scope if you want to brag about it to your buddies. But it's totally unnecessary for Indiana deer hunting. Going elk hunting out west? Well, that's a different story.

5). Please, please, please don't buy magnum cartridge guns for Indiana deer hunting. First of all, your shoulder will thank you later. Secondly, not many people are going to handle the recoil of a 300 Win Mag accurately. 30-06 is almost overkill.
    I like you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Barrett M107A1 50 cal. Good long range- Shoot Infront of then and they will fall in the trench. A lot of fun shooting.
    iu

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have some mounts they are a memorial to the animal and the hunt.
    Both my daughters first bucks are mounted and soon sending in my dads first. To remember the hunt, and time spent with that person pursuing that animal. None of them are giants and certainly would not be considered trophies by most.

(Meanwhile my first is in a pile at as a failed DIY European mount lol)

Top Bottom