• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Honestly with a sub $1000 budget, not sure you can really go wrong. The market has a lot of sub moa guns in that price range. Features, weight, etc. will probably be your deciding factor.

I would look towards Howa/Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara and Tikka but the Savage is a fine rifle.

Heck, I won a 30-06 Savage Axis in a raffle ($400? gun) and the first three rounds out of the gun were at one moa shooting off a wooden block with Remington Core-lokt ammo. So were the last three rounds - 'cause that's all I shoot it....

As to caliber, anything 6mm/243 on up. I prefer the intermediates - 6.5 creedmoor, .270, 7mm but my youngest son has gravitated to 30-06. As a matter of fact, he has hunted with an old Remington 742 in the 30-06 that last few years. Even that old gun will hold about 1.5 moa until the barrel gets some heat in it. 30-06 hits hard....

• Love
    Reactions: Mij

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Its foot in mouth time but you don't need a premium rifle to shoot at that range. While the .243 is under your expectations I've seen whitetail killed at 400+ yards killed with it, DRT dead. My TC Venture in .243 will shoot 3 rounds into one hole at 100 yards and I have about $650 in the rifle and scope (Nikon Monarch 4x12).

On the other hand if you want the edge of more umph in your round the earlier mentioned .30-06 will do more than you want and I know where a sporterized 1903 a3 O3 an be had for $450 (scope too) near Goshen.

A .308 would also fit the bill and these can be had at most BB stored for under $600 with a scope.

The .270 mentioned earlier would be another excellent round.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Since you're already used to the AR platform, have you looked into the 6.5 Grendel? You would only need an upper and a mag to switch your 300 BO to your 6.5 Grendel and you're good to go.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I second the 6.5 Grendel suggestion. I hunt white tails with a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" barrel and a suppressor.

I do have a Savage Axis II in 7mm-08 that I hunted with before my 6.5 Grendel. It is a good gun for the price.

I also have a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor that I won last year. It is very accurate, and the action is very smooth. This would be my deer gun if the barrel was threaded. Once you go suppressed, it's hard to go back lol.

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Since you're already used to the AR platform, have you looked into the 6.5 Grendel? You would only need an upper and a mag to switch your 300 BO to your 6.5 Grendel and you're good to go.
    6.5 grendel and 6mm arc have been something i have been considering.

With 6.5 grendel though you are about 300-400 less fps then creedmoor and with more drop and being pushed around by wind and how gas guns are a bit less accurate to me i'm thinking it's more of a 300 yard cartridge.

6mm arc seems interesting as it's basically .243 -p in an AR and at least on paper looks capable about to 400 yards

Attachments

• IMG_3840.png
      IMG_3840.png
      789.3 KB · Views: 9

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    A friend of my fathers goes out west and has taken lots of different game. What has he used to take them all. A rem 700 in 7mm mag. Bear elk deer goats antelope ect.

He says the secret seems to be it shoots very flat allowing him to take shots at distance with very little holdover.
    I've yet to hunt with it, but 7mm Rem Mag is becoming one of my favorite calibers. My Rem 700 in 7mm is exactly what I would take out west. I have rounds that deliver a 139gr solid copper ballistic tip 3,100 ft-lbs at 3,250 FPS at muzzle, and drops 16" at 500 yds. A little overkill for anything in Indiana, but definitely will take out anything in North America.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Im not a fan of entry level rifles.
    They work but are just basic tools.

Is hunting something you intend to do for years?

If so Id spend more for something a little nicer.
    Savage Axis...

Original had crap stock, flimsy, low comb.
    Also long action for short action cartridge.

Got one to see what the hype was about
    Not impressed
    Not the Axis, but the Mossberg Patriot.
    Still considered an "entry level" bolt gun to be sure, but mine is very nice.
    I think I have seen them available with a synthetic stock but have never been a fan.
    My Patriot sits in a very nice American walnut stock.
    Granted, texturing on the stock is pressed, not engraved, but it provides a really positive grip.
    I'll post a picture or two later.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got nothing against synthetic stocks, even the cheaper factory ones.
    Rather liked the older Remington checkered rynite stocks, they worked well after forend stiffening (cheap n easy to do).

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    6.5 grendel and 6mm arc have been something i have been considering.

With 6.5 grendel though you are about 300-400 less fps then creedmoor and with more drop and being pushed around by wind and how gas guns are a bit less accurate to me i'm thinking it's more of a 300 yard cartridge.

6mm arc seems interesting as it's basically .243 -p in an AR and at least on paper looks capable about to 400 yards
    Creedmoor and Grendel are 2 very different cartridges that don't fit in the same weapon platform. The 6.5 Grendel to the 6mm ARC, very comparable. I prefer less recoil, faster follow up shots, and the ability to stay on target between shots. The Grendel is more than capable of ranges past 500 yards and I'm sure the 6mm ARC is as well. After looking at the ballistics comparison, they are almost identical. You just have a heavier projectile with the Grendel so you lose slightly less velocity.

Gas guns are not less accurate than bolt guns, especially for hunting purposes. If we were talking 1,000 yard PRS shooting, that may be a different topic for more discussion.

.243 is a great cartridge as well. I would go with whatever you feel most comfortable with and whatever you can find ammo for. That's the main reason I turn away from newer cartridges like the 6mm ARC. Until ammo is readily available, it's reloading... which isn't so cheap anymore.

Good luck!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    My daughter has the .243 short action. Incredible accuracy.
    Couldn’t agree more. My son-in-law gave me a Savage Axis in .243 two years ago....yeah I know, let me finish. I ordered springs from M-Carbo and did a trigger job on it. While we were sighting in he said I can’t really tell but I think you’re hitting the same hole. I was looking through my 6-24x scope and said, yeah you’re right, it was 1 ragged hole. I don’t care what anybody says Savage makes good barrels, and the inherent accuracy and low recoil makes the .243 a great deer gun for youth and adults. Ironically I loaned him my sporterized Mauser 98 in .270 and he anchored a nice deer at 70 yards.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Actually, Savage makes low end barrels, at best. That, when you look at learning how to live with one, and when you compare them to good barrels, much less premium.

But.

They do shoot straight, and that counts for a lot, in my book.

For hunting, I would never hesitate to use a Savage, as long as it
    satisfied my requirements above.

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Actually, Savage makes low end barrels, at best. That, when you look at learning how to live with one, and when you compare them to good barrels, much less premium.

But.

They do shoot straight, and that counts for a lot, in my book.

For hunting, I would never hesitate to use a Savage, as long as it
    satisfied my requirements above.
    I may just be slow since I went to public school but what makes a barrel low end if it shoots 1 MOA?

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My personal best long range shot was with a cheap entry level savage rifle in 30/06. Had a 200 dollar leupold rifleman scope on it. Was 350 yards. Most of my deer have been about 320 yards closer than that!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am sure there are others that would work, but this caught my eye tonight and I would think it would work nicely.

Add a primary arms 4-16x or similar for around $300
    I'll second the vote for 270 Winchester. Very few of the latest, greatest calibers can improve more than incrementally on its ballistics and plenty of choice in components to tailor the load to your rifle if you roll your own

Personally, I'm fond of a Ruger M77 red pad or Mark II with 22 inch barrel in that price range

Top Bottom