• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Hiking folks, I'm looking for suggestions in how to prepare for some longer day hikes that I have planned in the fall in GSMNP. My planned hikes are:

--Mt. LeConte, an 11 mile or 14 mile hike depending upon the route. The short route includes the Alum Cave Concaved Bluff and the longer route includes Rainbow Falls. Separately Alum Cave is a 4.4 mile hike itself, Rainbow Falls is 5.4 miles itself.

--Andrews Bald, a 3.5 mile hike, or extended to an 11.5 mile hike if using the Appalachian Trail.

--Carlies Bunion, an 8.1 mile hike.

--Chimney Tops, a 4.0 mile hike, or can be extended to 7.0 miles if using Road Prong Trail.

--Bushy Mountain, a 6.8 mile hike

We have five days, but I'm likely going to extend it another day. I'm in reasonable shape, my main concerns are blisters. I've purchased some decent hiking boots and spent the money on highly rated hiking socks which are said to help prevent blisters. What I need to do is practice for this upcoming trip. Looking for suggestions on day hike trip ideas on some good trails within a few hours drive from Indy area which can help prepare for this this trip. Trails at Turkey Run and Shades are short, so I will need to combine them to get a good distance. Some good ups and downs would be nice as well, since some of the trails will have significant elevation change. Wouldn't mind doing one hike in one area one day, and driving to do another one in another part of the state. I plan on wearing my pack and taking my lunch. I want to see how long it takes me to do x number of miles and also which brand of socks I think will work best. Also want to see how my feet are holding up using these specialized socks for two days. And how long do most trails take to dry out after rain? I wouldn't mind heading out today but I figure trails at Turkey Run and Shades will likely still be muddy.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Check out the Knobstone trail. Me and some friends are going to do a 34 mile section next Friday/Sat. It should have everything your looking for.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    One thing that helped me when I was hiking seriously was hydrate yourself prior to going. If i didnt I found myself wanting to drink alot along the way which = weight unless you have a good source pre planned. Drink water until you are peeing clear before you hit the trail and stay in front of it ...

If you feel you are getting a hot spot stop and get some mole skin on it before you do damage a create a blister

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    There is a loop trail in Hoosier National close to Bloomington that is about 10-12 miles if I remember correctly. You can actually do some camping in the middle portion of the trail. The trail has a good mix of up and down hill sections to give you a good trial run for your boots and socks. There is also the Charles Deam wilderness with miles of trails, mostly flat though.

You can change the way you lace your boots too if need be, may help if you find they have a tight spot. Also, another good option would be to look into the stuff runners use to prevent blisters. I have some that looks like a small deodorant stick and you apply it before hiking, seems to work pretty well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The best way to condition your feet is to wear the boots/socks combinations you will be using for a few days before you go on your hikes. As you already are planning and others have mentioned, a few day hikes is good conditioning as well, many of the ones mentioned already are good. There are a bunch of great hikes in Morgan-Monroe SF and Brown County SP.

While you are hiking, especially in warm weather, every hour or two when you stop to take a break, take your boots off and put your feet up, let everything dry out. Use foot powder in the morning and after lunch. And there may be temptation to just keep hiking, but really, a 5-10 minute break every hour will greatly extend how long you can hike and it makes things far more comfortable. Stopping longer than that is not a good idea because you'll start to stiffen up and it'll take a few minutes to loosen up again.

Also, and very important, pay attention to hotspots and rub points as soon as you notice them. Prevention is the key here. A lot of people like moleskin, but I prefer duct tape, especially on high wear areas (ball of the foot, heel). Figure out what works best for you before you commit.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't have a lot of extended hiking experience, but after years of Jr. High, High School, and College althetics, I've found a few things as it pertains to preventing blisters.

ALWAYS break in your new shoots (boots) prior to the first major work out, and always always force fluids and pre-hydrate as much as possible. (Good advice above on drinking enough water until your urine is nearly clear and colorless). One note is that you can over hydrate and have a lot of water sloshing around in your stomach in a full bladder, which can be uncomfortable and make things worse. Also don't forget to have at least 1 sports drink, like a Gatorade either before, during, or after to help replenish some of the other electrolites you body needs.

2 pair of socks seems to really keep the blisters down. I'm a fan of wearing the inside pair Inside out, and the outside pair normal. Not sure if there is any science to this, or just an old superstition, but seemed to keep my feet blister free during 3-a-day football practices, and countless summer conditioning sessions.

I did do an extended hike last month in New Mexico and covered < 10 miles in the day. Two pair of socks worked very well for me, as did pre-hydrating. I would take a quick drink from my hydration bladder in my pack every time we would stop to look for game, admire the view, etc. A little bit here and there to stay ahead of dehydration is the key.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Man I get excited just reading the OP. My wife and I went down there twice last year. The second time was in the fall with my 10yr daughter. We are not in great shape but did most of the trails you mentioned just fine. On the second trip my wife was 5 months pregnant too! What I like to do is start very early. This allows you to beat the crowds and also to take your time. When you are tired sit and rest. Rainbow Falls was our favorite. Chimney Tops is great too. Actually there's not a trail I don't like down there.
    I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get out and do what was already mentioned above. I like the Charles Deam area in HNF. There's also some good hiking at Turkey Run and Shades.

Top Bottom