• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I think the big trick to a 1/2 MOA rifle is going to be finding the right ammo. 1/2 MOA ammo is a lot trickier than people realize.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think the big trick to a 1/2 MOA rifle is going to be finding the right ammo. 1/2 MOA ammo is a lot trickier than people realize.

I heard a podcast with Brian Litz, and he was discussing a project (possibly in conjunction with Berger) making high end custom ammo. They were going for less than 10 fps SD. Also I think they might have been using Berger hybrids, as the ogive profile was less sensitive to seating depth than a pure secant type.

Even at that, it would be hard to say you're going to get 1/2 moa, as there is more than just that involved.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I spent over $5K on one of my AI's back in the day and before I ever pulled the trigger on it I "had" to have a new barrel spun up for it..... So even out of the box, "top tier" guns get money sunk into them and the fact of the mater is there is no way to gauge how any gun will shoot until you shoot it with your ammo.

I've seen out of the box savages and remmys shoot lights out at 100, couple months later someone with an almost identical setup has a hard time holding MOA.

Anything mass produced will always have that factor built into it. Assembly line guns are like a cracker jack box. You gotta eat a lot of cracker jacks or just have a horseshoe up your ass to score that 1 in 1000 prize.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I spent over $5K on one of my AI's back in the day and before I ever pulled the trigger on it I "had" to have a new barrel spun up for it..... So even out of the box, "top tier" guns get money sunk into them and the fact of the mater is there is no way to gauge how any gun will shoot until you shoot it with your ammo.

I've seen out of the box savages and remmys shoot lights out at 100, couple months later someone with an almost identical setup has a hard time holding MOA.

Anything mass produced will always have that factor built into it. Assembly line guns are like a cracker jack box. You gotta eat a lot of cracker jacks or just have a horseshoe up your ass to score that 1 in 1000 prize.

:rofl:

You speak the truth!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Any suggestions for a 1/2" MOA rifle straight out of the box in .308 win under $ 1000.
    Thanks.
    As many others have said, for a true 1/2" MOA rifle, expect to spend many, many times that, and then hand the rifle to a 1/2 MOA shooter, lol.

However, within my $1,000 budget, I can say that I'm very happy with my Savage 10FCP-SR with a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope. After getting it setup, breaking in the barrel, then properly fouling the barrel, I've shot at least two boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match with no "flyers" outside 1 MOA, including cold bore first shots. The aluminum bedding and accu-trigger impress me greatly how accurate they are for a relatively low price... the Savage magazines, not so much, neither the quality nor the price.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    My most accuarate rifle is a surgeon 300 win mag with a nightforce atacr 4-16x42. It will shoot 1/2 moa with $4 rounds and no coffee for a week. I have almost 10k in it. I also get lucky with my howa.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Time, definitely. But I don't think it necessarily takes loads of cash anymore. I have gotten into long range shooting, using a rifle that cost $825 and a $500 scope. Ammo is expensive, but 50 rounds can be a full day of shooting. (Granted, I'm certainly not real F-class competition. If I'm shooting MOA I'm a happy shooter.)

The biggest thing that it took for me was to stop chasing the next greatest gun, and start working with the one I have, and spend time LEARNING, whether from experience shooting, or from reading. Long range shooting definitely ranks as some of my favorite kind of shooting now.

/threadjack

Lot of truth in this. Once you have a decent rifle in hand with a decent optic and can consistently print .8's with it then quit chasing what you think is the next best rifle to print better groups. Just practice practice practice with what you have and the groups will probably shrink.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just to be straight a consistent 1/2 moa is going to cost way more than a $1000 bucks. Even the best factory rifles are going to be hard pressed to do that even with quality match or hand loaded ammo. Not to say you cant print a few 1/2 moa groups, Ive done many with my Savage rifles over the years, but they are in no way shape or form consistently shooting that. Also you have to take into account the nut behind the trigger being able to their part. Me personally Id rather have a consistent 1 moa rifle that i know like the back of my hand with a proofed load that I can range out to any distance I need to and be able to call shots on. Unless your shooting competitive bench rest, chasing a 1/2 or 1/4 moa groups is kind of a waste IMO....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Smacked in the face with 1/2moa reality

To be honest, its not the OP's fault. Thank god I got into LR shooting before the Internet, and all its wisdom. By the time the internet came around, I could weed through the BS. If you look on the net you would honestly think every savage AXIS ever made is 1/2 MOA all day long, every time. There is so much "exageration" out there, its hard for a new guy to weed through it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have followed this thread and absolutely appreciate the input from people who know what they're talking about. When I saw the title, I thought, "Yeah, I want to know what that gun is, too!" for a possible hunting rifle purchase. But, I know I'm not a good enough shooter to get that kind of group, I also know that I don't need it. :)

But, that's raised a somewhat different question to my math-impaired brain. How small of a movement (in mm, I guess) at the origin point would still be within .5 MOA? Just curious.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have followed this thread and absolutely appreciate the input from people who know what they're talking about. When I saw the title, I thought, "Yeah, I want to know what that gun is, too!" for a possible hunting rifle purchase. But, I know I'm not a good enough shooter to get that kind of group, I also know that I don't need it. :)

But, that's raised a somewhat different question to my math-impaired brain. How small of a movement (in mm, I guess) at the origin point would still be within .5 MOA? Just curious.

1 moa is 1/60th of 1 degree. So half that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    1 moa is 1/60th of 1 degree. So half that.

See, I can tell that that's English, but the application escapes me. Half of 1/60 is 1/120. (No comment on whether I first thought 1/30.)

And I probably wasn't clear about my question. How much can the muzzle move and still result in a .5 MOA group? 1/120 of an inch?

Top Bottom