• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    During my visit to the gun store today I was trying to get an idea of what 22lr pistols are out there. I picked up a p22, sig mosquito, gsg 1911 22, and a chiappa 1911 22. My price range is around 300-375. Any suggestions?

Out of all the ones I looked at and held the Sig and the GSG were defiantly a lot better quality. After doing some research I discovered to the "Sig" Mosquito and the GSG 1911 22 are both manufactured by... GSG? And Sig has took the GSG 1911 22 and put the Sig name on it?

Another question: Since the GSG is a full size 1911 chambered in 22lr would it be possible to put a centerfire upper on it; say chambered in 9mm or 45?

New to the forum so I figured I'd go ahead an put the post out there. Thanks

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    GSG 1911-22 and Sig 1911-22 are the same!! And they are awesome guns. I would recommend one to anyone. I have the Sig and it has run flawless for me.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I have the GSG 1911 .22 and love it. I am using it to train with before I move up to another 1911 style. This way any rig I use or hostlers should be able to use the next 1911. My dollers are tight so I have to try to make the most of my doller stretch.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have the sig mosquito and love it. It is picky on ammo however and really only likes the accident 36 and 40 grain stuff in my experience.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Welcome to the forum!

You didn't look at a Ruger 22/45? Fantastic shooter and dead reliable.
    I was after a GSG but got the Ruger instead. Haven't had any regrets.
    Just over $300 out the door at my LGS.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    .22 ftw

:welcome:

Get a Ruger MK3. It likes almost any ammo, it is one of the best at the range. This is gun will teach you to shoot better, without spending $'s on more expensive ammo. oh, and I like the trigger.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The Sig Mosquito is excellent provided you keep it clean,lubed up and run CCI Mini-Mags through it. If you use the cheap box o ammo it jams a bit.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Ruger MK Pistol.

IMO, the Ruger MK I,II,III, or 22/45 would fill the bill in your price range. I have owned all 4 models, except the 22/45, and have been very happy with all of them.
    A Ruger MK will eat up/spit out any+all ammo that you can put through it! Like all .22's certain guns like certain brands/weights better than others, but a Ruger MK will digest them all.
    I just recently bought a Ruger MK-III Hunter 6 7/8" bbl., and my Son+I had a ball shooting grape size tomatoes with it at around 22yds. GREAT fun..Bill.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The Sig Mosquito is excellent provided you keep it clean,lubed up and run CCI Mini-Mags through it. If you use the cheap box o ammo it jams a bit.

I keep all of my guns extremely clean and lubed up. I just have a hard time thinking about buying a gun that can only run on one type of ammo. Is there any sort of break in period that say after 2k rounds you can start running cheaper ammo without a problem?

As far as the GSG goes is there anyway of converting it from a 22lr to a centerfire round?

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    IMO, the Ruger MK I,II,III, or 22/45 would fill the bill in your price range. I have owned all 4 models, except the 22/45, and have been very happy with all of them.
    A Ruger MK will eat up/spit out any+all ammo that you can put through it! Like all .22's certain guns like certain brands/weights better than others, but a Ruger MK will digest them all.
    I just recently bought a Ruger MK-III Hunter 6 7/8" bbl., and my Son+I had a ball shooting grape size tomatoes with it at around 22yds. GREAT fun..Bill.

I have a friend with one with a red dot scope on it. TACK DRIVER! I will have to go back to the gun store tomorrow and look to see if they have one i can check out.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are many great .22 pistols out there. I love the .22 lr! Cheap to feed all day! :rockwoot:

P22, GSG 1911, Sig, Browning Buckmark, Ruger MK series, S&W 22A

I personally own a P22. I have had it for many years and put around 30,000 rounds through her. It eats about anything and is a nice shooter.

As far as your question about putting a .9mm or .45 slide on a .22 frame, I do not know of any manufacturer that offers this. There are however many companies that offer .22 lr conversion kits for certain guns. I know there are some out there for Glocks, Sigs, 1911s...

Couple questions: what is your carry gun? Are you wanting your .22 to resemble it in any way for training purposes?
    If you carry an M&P for example S&W makes an M&P .22 lr. If you carry a 1911 then the GSG would be a good route to take. If you carry a Walther then the P22 is a good choice. If Glock is your carry gun then they offer converion kits for Glocks. There is also the ISSC which is a Glock clone. Only difference is it has a hammer and a safety. I have put many rounds through an ISSC and am very impressed with it. I am a Glock guy and carry a Glock so it just feels right to me. All of the controls are the same as my carry gun.

If you are not concerned with it resembling your carry gun then any of the choices you listed are good to go. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Just keep in mind, you buy a Mosquito, a GSG, a Bersa 22, a Walther P22, what you got is what you get.

HOWEVER, you buy a Ruger or a Buck Mark and the sky is the limit on customizations. The aftermarket has tons of parts and crap you can put on these. Basically, they're like a starter platform that you can customize to your hearts content.

Because these two are what serious .22lr shooters use for competition, everything from optics to grips to barrels and compensators is available.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    The mosquito after roughly 1k rounds still does not like any of the cheap bulk ammo so I haven't tried anything else. I've pretty much stuck with what I know works. Only issues I ever have is if it is extremely dirty. I still say 6-7 bucks is pretty cheap compared to the 23 for my 9mm for 100 rounds.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have gsg love it, browning buckmark very nice great shooter, I also just picked up a ruger 22/45 haven't shot it yet but I love the way it feels and the looks are making it one of my favorites. I love 22 cal handguns you wont regret getting one. One more thing I had a Mosquito, key word being had.

Top Bottom