Looking for a pocket revolver ...recommendations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    We I think I have decided to add a pocket revolver to my collection. However I don't know much about revolvers, in fact the only revolver I have fired is a colt python 6 inch, so I don't have much to compare. So I thought I would ask ingo for some advice.
    So far I am looking at the new S&W bodyguard .38 and the Ruger LCR. I am leaning toward the bodyguard because of a) the laser b) the ambi cylinder release (I shoot lefty). While a lack of either of these will not be a deal breaker, they seem pretty nice.

After looking at the S&W I know some of the J-frames are similar in size, would one of these be better?

I have also noticed some have a shrouded hammer, is this any better than a internal hammer

I was just wondering what else I should take a look at before making my choice.
    also I would like to keep it around $500 in price.

Thanks in advance

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My MIL has the S&W .38 ultralite. The laser was a little hard to light, you have to hit the button just right. But for a pocket carry it is very lightweight and comfortable. It is snappy when fired, but that is to be expected with such a lightweight revolver. I still recommend it. It's not a fun range toy, but for self defense it would be fine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All of your choices are good. I like the 442 and 642. A friend loves his Ruger. Another friend loves his bodyguard.

Fast reload is not something I consider when choosing this type of pistol. If I think I might need to reload, I just carry a second one in addition to a speed strip.

Get a quality holster and you are GTG with any of your choices. You want to feel comfortable when gripping the gun while it is in your pocket. Sometimes, it just is comforting to have your hand on your gun and nobody knows what you are doing.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There are a number of smaller pieces from Taurus that fit the bill. Well made and work just fine, with a great price point. There's also Charter Arms. I love and frequently carry my .44 Special. It's an older model and you can find them for around 3-350 in some places. They have a load of newer models at a variety of prices. Sizewise there's bound to be one there in your price range.

Charter Firearms Products

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    We I think I have decided to add a pocket revolver to my collection. However I don't know much about revolvers, in fact the only revolver I have fired is a colt python 6 inch, so I don't have much to compare. So I thought I would ask ingo for some advice.
    So far I am looking at the new S&W bodyguard .38 and the Ruger LCR. I am leaning toward the bodyguard because of a) the laser b) the ambi cylinder release (I shoot lefty). While a lack of either of these will not be a deal breaker, they seem pretty nice.

After looking at the S&W I know some of the J-frames are similar in size, would one of these be better?

I have also noticed some have a shrouded hammer, is this any better than a internal hammer

I was just wondering what else I should take a look at before making my choice.
    also I would like to keep it around $500 in price.

Thanks in advance

I would not recommend either of your choices- although if you're not familiar with revolvers, my issues with the BG probably won't bother you (weird cylinder latch system, strange laser controls). I can't recommend an LCR because I had one and the return spring snapped on me in short order.

I would recommend a Smith 442, 642 or M&P340, although the 340 is a bit out of your price range. If you want a laser, save up and get CT grips.

External and Internal hammers really have more to do with how you carry. If you plan to pocket carry, the internal hammer is the only way to fly as it helps prevent the hammer from "catching" on your clothing and the sealed system prevents all the fuzz and stuff from your pockets from messing up the action.

Do not expect the trigger to be as smooth or lite on a j-frame as it was on that Python you shot :twocents:

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    There are a number of smaller pieces from Taurus that fit the bill. Well made and work just fine, with a great price point.
    Charter Firearms Products

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Thanks for pointing out Taurus I had not thought of them

Get a quality holster and you are GTG with any of your choices. You want to feel comfortable when gripping the gun while it is in your pocket. Sometimes, it just is comforting to have your hand on your gun and nobody knows what you are doing.

A good holster is def a must, I have a LCP and use a Desantis Superfly with it, which is a nice holster

I would not recommend either of your choices- although if you're not familiar with revolvers, my issues with the BG probably won't bother you (weird cylinder latch system, strange laser controls). I can't recommend an LCR because I had one and the return spring snapped on me in short order.

I would recommend a Smith 442, 642 or M&P340, although the 340 is a bit out of your price range. If you want a laser, save up and get CT grips.

External and Internal hammers really have more to do with how you carry. If you plan to pocket carry, the internal hammer is the only way to fly as it helps prevent the hammer from "catching" on your clothing and the sealed system prevents all the fuzz and stuff from your pockets from messing up the action.

Do not expect the trigger to be as smooth or lite on a j-frame as it was on that Python you shot :twocents:

Thanks for the advice, since I have little experience with revolvers, I doubt the BG's cylinder release will be an issue for me. As for the trigger, I would think it would be similar to the trigger pull on my LCP

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have the bodyguard .38, and was set on an LCR. The LCR has an awesome hogue tamer grip on it BUT that makes it more bulky, harder to pocket carry. I picked the bodyguard for that reason.

It took me over 100 rounds to get used to the snubbie from my auto pistols.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    s&W 640, 442, 340pd all good for pocket carry and will work when needed. i keep 640 stainless for practice and carry the light ones. good to have so many choices. Probably most of the used ones were carried a lot shot a little.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I've been carrying the LCR pocket carry on and off for a few months now....no complains, it's extremely light and carry's well in jeans or a jacket pocket.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I had a Ruger LCR and S&W 442. If I where to buy one back it would be the 442 since I liked being able to easily stage the trigger. The LCR trigger is much different than the 442 so I would recommend checking them both out if you are interested in either of them.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Thanks for pointing out Taurus I had not thought of them

A good holster is def a must, I have a LCP and use a Desantis Superfly with it, which is a nice holster

Thanks for the advice, since I have little experience with revolvers, I doubt the BG's cylinder release will be an issue for me. As for the trigger, I would think it would be similar to the trigger pull on my LCP

The trigger on the LCR is NOTHING like the LCP. Those are two completely different platforms, and nothing about them has anything to do with the other, except for the Ruger name.

The LCR simply has the best out of the box trigger of any of the small framed revolvers. Before you buy either of your choices, you owe it to yourself to get some trigger time with them. You will quickly see that the LCR is in a class of its own. If you need a laser, you can simply opt for the LCR that comes with a laser grip from the factory.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I am in the exact same spot.... I'm a lefty considering the same two (.38 BG and LCR....also liking Taurus)
    I have loved every Ruger that I have ever owned, or even shot, but the ambi-release on the BG is swaying me that way.
    To add to the original poster's question.... do any of the recommendations that have been mentioned have a lefty friendly cylinder release?...or do we just need to adapt to a right-handed world? :yesway: :)

Top Bottom