Looking for a pocket revolver ...recommendations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    0419001731.jpg

340PD it is always on me.
    It has a little finish wear around the edges where it rides in its holster. :yesway:

Here's one for Christmas!

1216092215.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So far I am looking at the new S&W bodyguard .38 and the Ruger LCR. I am leaning toward the bodyguard because of a) the laser b) the ambi cylinder release (I shoot lefty). While a lack of either of these will not be a deal breaker, they seem pretty nice.

Actually after handling my friends Bodyguard, I think the standard cylinder release will be better/faster for a left hander... actually... go to youtube and search "Masaad Ayoob stress reload", and learn how to do it right. It might actually be faster to do it left handed than right handed.

After looking at the S&W I know some of the J-frames are similar in size, would one of these be better?

I have also noticed some have a shrouded hammer, is this any better than a internal hammer

J-frames are classic. Not much difference at all between shrouded vs. internal. The Ruger LCR has a very nice trigger though.

I was just wondering what else I should take a look at before making my choice.
    also I would like to keep it around $500 in price.

Not exactly a "pocket" revolver, but the SP101 should near the top of anyones list. Much more comfortable to shoot than an Airweight.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Have had either a S&W 442, 642 or a Ruger LCR for several years. They are all great guns. The triggers with the Smith's will get a little lighter after alot of shooting/dryfire. The trigger pull on the LCR, in my opinion, was good from the box. Being a lefty myself, either brands can be easily operated left-handed, the Ruger maybe just a little easier because of the push button cylinder release. After trading up several snubbies, I currently pocket carry a S&W M&P340, and love it. Wish I had one during my LEO years!

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for the advice everyone, my list of firearms to look at is getting longer which is what I wanted

To add to the original poster's question.... do any of the recommendations that have been mentioned have a lefty friendly cylinder release?...or do we just need to adapt to a right-handed world? :yesway: :)

Charter Arms makes a lefty
    Charter Southpaw #93820

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    .ruger lcr can be found for about 400 and they have a polymer frame if memory serves . this makes the gun a lot more tolerable to carry day in and day out. I prefer a pocket gun to have a thumb safety and stiff first pull trigger, I would look at walthers or the 380 bodyguard, Elmores in indy has a very small five shot smith airweight revolver in the used guns for about 300 and it looks like it has been shot very little . they wont be open till saturday due to a robbery though

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    We like the little Colt .38 Specials. They do have a hammer. How are you going to carry it? Hammerless is better in some carry situations. DA or SA?

Colt and S&W made some very nice, very concealable little guns over the years. I believe Ruger made some as well. Many choices. See what fits your hand best and know how you will conceal. These clues will lead you to a range of pieces from which to choose.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I made a purchase of a similar revolver not to long ago. For me, the price of a S&W is just too high. So my choices were pretty much the Ruger LCR or Taurus 650. I want any snub nose to have a fully enclosed hammer system. For me, it is about being able to fire the gun from within a jacket pocket or purse if need be and making sure there is no way something can block a hammer (even a spur-less hammer) either coming back or going forward. Not saying this is the proper way to use a firearm in a defensive shooting, but it would at least be an option.

I ended up with a Ruger LCR in .357 at $415.00, which was the cheapest price in town at the time. I should have exercised more restraint in buying. The Taurus 650 has gotten good reviews over the years, and I would have likely saved $50-$75. Not only that, within days of buying the LCR, someone posted on for sale here on INGO for $350.00!! I was very tempted on buying it to lower my cost basis, but decided against it.

So if you really want to maximize you money, get a Taurus 650 or see if you can find a slight used LCR. I always opt for .357 revolvers. Use .38spl to practice with (with the occasional .357) and then carry with .357.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    When I want a pocket revolver I get my Ruger SP101. It is a 357 2 1/4" barrel DAO model.

cav_cdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I have both the SP101 in .357 and the LCR in .38+P. They're both great revolvers but, for carry the LCR wins, hands down. For shooting comfort, it would be the SP101. The LCR has a great out of the box trigger and is very controllable with +P rounds but, the extra weight of the SP101 make it more comfortable to shoot in longer range sessions.

Top Bottom