• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So my wife and I were watching the show American Guardian on the outdoor channel for the first time the other night. Was about defending your home and your family. It was pretty interesting.
    I carry either a glock 21 or glock 19. Depends on the weather and where I'm going, I alternate between both. Also have a colt .357 magnum in my sock drawer. My wife doesn't really like handguns, was leary about me carrying the first time too. After dragging her to the gun range, yes drag. I wanted her to learn how to shoot one. I found out she shoots WAY better than I do with the 19. When I say way better, she was like a Marine Sniper. We haven't been back to the range since then.

Anyway, after watching that show, my wife wants to get her carry permit now. And is even considering her own handgun. Being selfish, I don't want to give her my 19. So here is my question.
    For maybe carrying in her purse, don't know if she'd use a holster, what are some guns to look into? Since she done well with the 19, thats one to look at. I even thought of a Beretta tomcat. Uncle has one he keeps in his jeans pocket, looks to small for me to shoot well with it though. I thought of the glock 26, mainly because I'm interested in having that one for myself. What are some guns you suggest to look into?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    be sure to check out the women and firearms forum. alot of great info there.
    my main suggestion is let her try as many as possible and let her decide. she will be the one carrying it so it is important she is comfortable with it. good luck with the decision

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    be sure to check out the women and firearms forum. alot of great info there.
    my main suggestion is let her try as many as possible and let her decide. she will be the one carrying it so it is important she is comfortable with it. good luck with the decision

Yes make suggestions but do not make the final cut. Glocks with a round in the chamber in a purse (I would not do it. ) a snubie 38 or colt pocket pistol yes, PPK PPK/s H&k p7 would all make better purse guns.

One other thing to remember is that the ladies have cleavage. I can't count the number of times with ladies at the range that a hot shell casing went down the top of a shirt, (lucky shell cases) Something that ejects to the side and back a bit farther might be a good idea.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    G26, SP101, LCR, LCP, P-3AT, P-32, PF-9, Bersa .380CC, XDsc, M&Pc, S&W Model 36, 40, 60, 442/642, etc..., SR9c, P250sc, P232

Please send her to Cornered Cat and read about concealment options for women. Fanny pack is much better than purse carry.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    My wife just bought a S&W 442, 38spl/+P, and she loves it. It'll be her carry weapon, and I highly recommend this type of weapon for a women, especially in the event she has to use it. Pull, point and shoot. No thinking in a crisis situation, hoping a round is chambered or even being able to chamber a round in the even one isn't. I carry a 638 in my back pocket. I've got all the fancy autos, but when it comes down to it, the S&W J Frame will do just fine.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    My girlfriend really likes the Beretta PX4 Storm SubCompact.

Here is hers. She picked it out because of its look. It's very different looking than other autos out there. She really likes carrying it, wasn't too expensive, and it fits nice in her hands and isn't too heavy in her purse. Check it out. Take her to a gun store and let her take her time. She might find something she digs after a few visits.

picture.php

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife just bought a S&W 442, 38spl/+P, and she loves it. It'll be her carry weapon, and I highly recommend this type of weapon for a women, especially in the event she has to use it. Pull, point and shoot. No thinking in a crisis situation, hoping a round is chambered or even being able to chamber a round in the even one isn't. I carry a 638 in my back pocket. I've got all the fancy autos, but when it comes down to it, the S&W J Frame will do just fine.

How much has she shot the 442 with carry loads?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow thats a lot of guns to look at. I'll have to get her to look at those this weekend at the gun show. Take her to Bradis sometime too. I'd like to get her another glock 19. She can shoot that very well. She shot my father's .38 revolver, but the 19 was the best. The only problem is that she can barely move the slide on it. So either I have to find a gun that she can rack the slide easy, or get her a gym membership first!:):

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I would agree with the Glock 26. Small enough to put in a pocket or purse and shoots great.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I can't say enough about casual shooters and revolvers.

With semi-automatics, you can get screwed up with a malfunction...With a revolver, "If it don't go bang, just pull the trigger again."

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My formerly anti-gun wife also made the leap to being a full 2nd "A" firearms supporter after her first trip to the range.

My wife's gun evolution was allowed to grow organically. She chose her first, second and third handgun on her own. I intentionally stayed out of the decision making process, even if I didn't agree with the choice.

My wife chose a pink Walther P22 as her first handgun. This is not the gun I would have chosen for her, but I knew that she wanted her first handgun to be as un-intimidating as possible. I also knew that she would eventually become comfortable with handgun and want more firepower... I was right.

My wife chose a more reasonable Bersa Thunder 380CC as her second handgun. This was a more well thought-out choice, as she knew she wanted a handgun that was concealable, easy to load, easy to aim and had more punch.

After some reliability issues with her Bersa, my wife finally decided on the handgun that will probably be with her for the rest of her days... a Ruger LCR. My wife reasoned on her own that if a semi-automatic is inherently less reliable than a revolver, then she wanted a revolver. After trying the inventories of three gun stores, she chose the Ruger LCR. Her reasons for choosing the LCR were many, but the main factor was the trigger. Every other J-frame sized revolver had such strong triggers that my wife's hands would visibly shake, but the LCR was so buttery smooth and light that she could stay on target. Of all the handguns my wife has shot (including mine), the one that she is most comfortable and accurate with is the Ruger LCR. Even with the stout recoil, my wife just loves her LCR, and holds sub 2" groups at 10-yards.

rugerlcrchanel.jpg

My wife really loves the fact that she can shoot her LCR from the inside of her purse. (not the Chanel purse in the picture)

Last edited:

SD45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My girlfriend went with the Ruger LCP...small enough to hide almost anywhere, yet in my experience reliable. Ammo is hard to find some times....but she likes it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Might " drag " her to the range more often and observe what others like and many would be more than happy to let you or her handle theirs. I am fortunate to be close to Roush range in Huntington where there are many great guys who are always more than willing to let someone check out their newest addition and sometimes even shoot it. Many times, I spend more time there letting someone try something I have or vice versa. Only down side is my wifes list has now grown and she can't seem to make up her mind what her next will be. LOL

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    honestly you best bet is to take her to a couple shops and let her get her hands on the guns. try the slide/actions and the grips etc......let her decide what fits her best and is easiest for her to use. that is what we did and after a bit i kept going back to the s&w .40

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Sorry, I don't have any handguns I want to trade right now.:joke: Seriously, I would agree with what some of the others here have said, let her try as many as possible and then get the one she likes the best. If she likes it she's a lot more likely to shoot it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I can't say enough about casual shooters and revolvers.

With semi-automatics, you can get screwed up with a malfunction...With a revolver, "If it don't go bang, just pull the trigger again."

Unless a squib ties up the cylinder.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    whatever she chooses it needs to feel comfortable when she shoots it and she needs to become proficient with it. DONT BUY UNLESS YOU TRY!! even if you have to pay for range time try the gun she likes first. also remember that the smaller she goes the harder it will buck. PPK or H&k p7 are great starters. also get her into the habit of never leaving her purse sit, even now before she starts to carry. sometimes i carry a maxpedition shoulder bag when open carry or side carry isnt the best option, i make sure it becomes part of my body when my pistol is in it. Good luck to her and you (i hope you get to keep your glock!, lol)

Top Bottom