• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know that a 22 should not be relied on for self protection, but my wife has had a hard time getting used to the Kel-Tec P11 that I have in my truck (it was going to be hers, but she just can't get used to the trigger pull), so she picked out a Taurus PT-22... She likes it because of the flip-up barrel and the small size, I like it because it has a thumb safety...

I think that once she gets used to carrying this, I will get her a charter arms .38... But this is her first carry gun, her first gun was the 1911 Colt Series 80 Government Model her Dad gave her...

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    As I was saying before I hit a wrong key, my wife is a firearm instructor, she teaches women that to carry a gun for personal protection is just that....they should carry the gun on them, not in a purse. If the purse is taken then so is the gun.

+1 a purse snatcher becomes an armed robber in one move! Never carry in your purse! Always on you!

grinanbearit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    myself i have been carrying a bersa .380 i really like it i feel safe with it and i can hardley tell im carrying it so for me i like this because of the saftey each one has their own idea of what they like to carry so its just a suggestion.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Kel-tek in .380 is a good choice as well. Premier Arms in Brownsburh has several and they are priced right. I use one for my back-up gun.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    A Ruger SP101 in .38 with +P is a good round, .327 Federal Magnum is better--a six shot revolver with enough bite to get one out of most unpleasant situations.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    The OP stated she shot like a marine sniper with his 19, seems to me it works for her fine. Go get you another pistol and let the little lady have the current 19. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
    There is technique for women and people with grip problems to properly rack the slide of almost any autoloader. Instead of her simply holding the pistol and pulling the slide back, have her turn the pistol toward her support hand side down and out slightly. Use the Glock overhand slingshot while pushing forward on the grip while pulling back on the slide. For most folks this nearly doubles their leverage and makes it much easier to cycle the slide.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    A Ruger SP101 in .38 with +P is a good round, .327 Federal Magnum is better--a six shot revolver with enough bite to get one out of most unpleasant situations.

My wife thought the SP101 was too heavy for her so she ended up with a LCR. Seemed like a better choice for her.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The OP stated she shot like a marine sniper with his 19, seems to me it works for her fine. Go get you another pistol and let the little lady have the current 19. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
    There is technique for women and people with grip problems to properly rack the slide of almost any autoloader. Instead of her simply holding the pistol and pulling the slide back, have her turn the pistol toward her support hand side down and out slightly. Use the Glock overhand slingshot while pushing forward on the grip while pulling back on the slide. For most folks this nearly doubles their leverage and makes it much easier to cycle the slide.

Yep if she likes the 19 then let her have it. Get another for yourself or a glock 26. That why both of you can train with the same gun and the magazines will interchange. A gun is just a tool afterall.

After taking a firearms course that included several ladies, I have come to the conclusion that reliable revolvers with a good trigger or striker fired service autos (Glock, XD, S&W MP, Ruger SR9, Walther P99) are a good starting point for any novice shooter. Not that being a woman means being a novice. When I take the father-in-law to buy his first handgun these will be what we will look at first.

Top Bottom