• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    .308 is not designed to be a battle caliber and thus few rifles are "battle". They are great but heavy. Wake up and buy an ar. If you don't want one for some reason, for $1500, buy a stamped ak, some decent furniture, and a case of ammo and roll on.

Edit: .308 is a battle caliber. I just think it may not suit your needs best as a primary battle rifle.

I understand what you mean. However I just don't have much faith in the versatility of the .223 round. Sorry. I love bigger rounds if I need to have one to rule them all. I would rather be able to scale down then not be able to scale up.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    A buddy of mine really wants an AR-10 carbine as his patrol rifle and I keep reminding him a "good" AR-10 platform would cost a bit more than he might be willing to pay.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Just to say. The main reason I don't want a AR is.....I want something different. I want something not everyone goes out and gets. AR-15 is a awesome platform don't get me wrong. But I want something with alittle more punch the .223 round just doesn't impress me. I grew up shooting my dad's 30-06 and loved it. I want something that is tatical but different but still effective. I have been reading up on AK-47s I like them however all these variations scare me. I don't want to pay premiuem for JUNK.

gamknucklecrack580.jpg

Junk? Who said any of them were junk? You might get one that is not as pretty as another but that doesn't mean it is junk.

Pre panic the WASR 10/63 was the entry level AKM. They are fine rifles if you do a physical inspection before handing over your money. You checked for canted sights or gas block an if they were straight you gave the man some money. I have two of them, they're awesome.

Pre panic Arsenals were the creme d'la creme of the AK market (supposedly). They came with nice furniture, a shiny paint job and better fit and finish then that WASR did. I have an Arsenal, it's awesome.

My point is that with the AK platform brand names don't matter. It's an AK, it is almost impossible to jack these up. You are paying for better finish and fitting 90% with these rifles. These aren't FALs or ARs or SCARs or whatever. They're Kalashnikovs and they are a beast unto themselves. They all have sloppy loose clearances, a sub 2 MOA AK is outstanding, you can pour a handful of wet sand into the receiver right on top of the bolt and carrier and it's going to fire and function.

As a Kalash enthusiast, long time owner of them and amateur hobbyist and gunsmith I can say with a small amount of authority that we "AK guys" have a different strip of pride then our fellow rifle comrades in arms.

AR guys pride themselves in great MOA, great ergos, availability of accessories. All good talking points.

FAL guys pride themselves in having the last military issue battle rifle chambered in a full sized cartridge, great MOA and solidly built heavy guns. Again great taking points.

AK guys pride ourselves in dead on reliability, and simplicity. Our rifles aren't sub MOA, they don't have excellent ergos, they don't have the best cartridge. They just hit every time and then they keep on hitting, and then they hit some more and when they think it's over that AK is gonna keep on chugging and keep on delivering. Your AK is going to outlast you more than likely.

There is no such thing as a "junk" AK because they are all junk in a way. Beautifully priceless, simplistically elegant, and wonderfully reliable junk.

:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A Kalashnikov pattern rifle because all else is fail.

Please..................:rolleyes:

We have different AR variants and they work great.
    If you want a real battle rifle look into just about anything in .308 as that round will kill a car. We just picked up a Socom 16 and a Garand. The Garand is a bit long and heavy but is a hoot to shoot. The Socom would be my SHTF choice.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    .308 is not designed to be a battle caliber and thus few rifles are "battle". They are great but heavy. Wake up and buy an ar. If you don't want one for some reason, for $1500, buy a stamped ak, some decent furniture, and a case of ammo and roll on.

Edit: .308 is a battle caliber. I just think it may not suit your needs best as a primary battle rifle.

So the .308 is a battle caliber that is not designed to be a battle caliber?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My vote goes for a good DSA FAL or a good G3 variant. But if I could have anything I wanted, I would pick the AR.

Remember you can get AR's in a lot of different calibers and almost all are just a simple upper swap. If can be a .22 squirrel rifle, two pin pulls later it's a .450 deer gun.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Please..................:rolleyes:

We have different AR variants and they work great.
    If you want a real battle rifle look into just about anything in .308 as that round will kill a car. We just picked up a Socom 16 and a Garand. The Garand is a bit long and heavy but is a hoot to shoot. The Socom would be my SHTF choice.

Spare me :bowdown:

I already just stated there is nothing wrong with any of the choices you just mentioned. We're not going to get into a pissing match. It's been done and there is no winning. This thread is asking for opinions of choices and every opinion here is a biased opinion. "A real battle rifle"? Who here is buying a NFA Class III weapon.....? The OP?

You don't like my AKs? That is fine. You can promptly send me your real name and if the SHTF ever I will remember to never let you use one of mine if you need it. Deal? Pompous gun posturing never gets old.

I'm saying AKM. You don't like my selection and disagree with me, tough. Don't argue me though, it's pointless.

jbdhere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Floyd County
    I agree that the SKS is a very good choice. I sold my AKs and replaced them with SKS. Easy field stripping and tough as nails. The SkS will also group better. Don't worry about not having a removable box mag as with a little practice you can become very fast reloading with stripper clips.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    I agree that the SKS is a very good choice. I sold my AKs and replaced them with SKS. Easy field stripping and tough as nails. The SkS will also group better. Don't worry about not having a removable box mag as with a little practice you can become very fast reloading with stripper clips.

I would love to have an SKS to compliment my AKs, but I don't think I could ever replace my AK with an SKS. On the other hand, I have thought hard about replacing an AK with a VZ58... If I could find one!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Spare me :bowdown:

I already just stated there is nothing wrong with any of the choices you just mentioned. We're not going to get into a pissing match. It's been done and there is no winning. This thread is asking for opinions of choices and every opinion here is a biased opinion. "A real battle rifle"? Who here is buying a NFA Class III weapon.....? The OP?

You don't like my AKs? That is fine. You can promptly send me your real name and if the SHTF ever I will remember to never let you use one of mine if you need it. Deal? Pompous gun posturing never gets old.

I'm saying AKM. You don't like my selection and disagree with me, tough. Don't argue me though, it's pointless.

No, spare me! I've been shooting AKs since 1988, both real deal captures and civilian makes. I ran them exclusively for 4 years just to give them a fair chance. The AK is about the most mythified rifle there is. They will jam, they will break, and most are at best minute of man @ 200 meters. And when SHTF, have no doubt it will be someone armed with an AR that will take your AKM after they nail you from about 200 meters beyond your best range. Or maybe one for the various battle rifles ant then it will be 500 meters beyond.

I'll take a properly buit AR or M14 type any day of the week.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Have you looked into the FNARs? They are modified hunting rifles instead of "battle" rifles, but have a good reputation for reliability. I think that is part of the reason their prices haven't exploded as much (still available for <$1300 from some suppliers at the end or January.) Mags are expensive, though, and difficult to get right now.

Full stripping and cleaning are an issue as they really require a workbench environment, so it may not be great in an extended SHTF scenario. For that trade-off, however, you get an extremely accurate 308/7.65x51 rifle with a solid company behind it.

If you want a flash hider/brake/sound supressor, you will likely need to send it off to Short Action Customs.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The most widespread/copied 'battle rifle' in the world is the=AK47./

Because it's the cheapest and easiest to manufacture. Seriously the technology to make one was fully developed 200 years ago. That and any uneducated peasant can be taught to use one in about 3 seconds.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Direct impingement is a giant fail in a shtf scenario. That's why I'd stay away from a standard ar if that's its purpose.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was NOT an AR fan. Period.
    I ran across an Armalite AR10-4 and after the first round out of it I was in love with the rifle. I always liked the .308 and mated with the AR10 it's a great match. Loved it so much I bought a Colt AR15M2 and found out that I like the AR format just fine. I was one of the original "Test Guinea Pigs" that got stuck with the first issue M16 and hated them until I grew up and put on some big boy britches.
    Don't be stubborn like I was. Nay, STUPID like I was.
    Good Format, lots of parts USUALLY not needed, and effective.

Top Bottom