• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    ok my mom is thinking about getting a gun. The prob is that she cant handle much recoil cause she has bad hands and needs something small that could fit in a small purse. She thought about a 22 but im not sure what would be best any suggestions would be help full

I was thinking 22 or 32 maybe but am unsure

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    ok my mom is thinking about getting a gun. The prob is that she cant handle much recoil cause she has bad hands and needs something small that could fit in a small purse. She thought about a 22 but im not sure what would be best any suggestions would be help full

How about a .380? Small, not much kick - but with "bad hands" a revolver would probably be better for her.
    She would have to try out different guns to see what she can handle.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I would suggest letting her shoot various calibers so she can decide what level of recoil is acceptable for her. Also as stated above, if a person has hand strength issues, a revolver would probably be a good starting point.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    :+1:on the revolver.
    For someone new to shooting that wants something for self protection, revolvers are simple. Autoloaders can be complicated , and even the best ones can jam. May not be the gun, might be an ammo problem or a magazine problem. Unless someone is willing to spend the time at the range to learn the gun autoloaders are not the best choice. Not saying you don't need to spend some range time to get familiar with a revolver, they are just simplier. Unless its a pos revolver or junk ammo when you pull the trigger on a revolver its going to go bang.

angelfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    westside indy
    i carry a bersa 380 cc and its great i love how it shoots and its all in all a great little gun i carry in my fanny pack or purse. im not afraid to use if need be. lol

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Beretta Tom cat .32 cal, it has a pop up barrle that you put your fist round in so you don't have to work the slide, you just load the mag put it in and pop up the barrel and your ready to shoot!! it is small and has light recoil!! hope this helps!!

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    ok i know that i prob should have put that shes not new to shooting just hasnt used a handgun in a while and never owned one of her own. her hands are bad cause of a surgery and bad bones. so i think that a 380 might kick too much and i know a 38S&W would kick too hard.

and thanks handk49031 I was thinking the Taurus model of that same firearm cause she is on a tight budget

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

.22 Revolver, there are 8 & 9 shot out there, ammo is cheap, and NO real recoil... :twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    About a .380 pistol:

MOST of them are "blowback" operated. That's a different recoil ballgame when compared to a modified Browning / tilt barrel recoil operation. Most all blowback operated pistols have rather sharp recoil.

How about a small revolver: Someone with bad hands...is the hand strength available to pull the trigger? I know that on my DAO J-frame revolver, the trigger pull is STOUT. My dad has a rough time with it (he also has hand-strength issues). Another issue is that small revolvers tend to be relatively light. A light handgun + self-defense cartridge usually equals relatively stout recoil.

Also, in general, small guns don't really make a good "beginner" gun. Sure, they're easy enough to pull the trigger and make noise with, but it's much more difficult to shoot a small gun better than it is a larger one.

One of my co-workers bought his mother a Taurus 709Slim. While probably not the least recoiling pistol out there, the combination of their rubber grips and the recoil mech. makes it a rather good "purse gun" for her. She's strong enough to pull the trigger and has 9 (I think?) capacity.

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would never classify the LCP or P3AT as "low recoil". The low mass makes them very snappy.

What you are looking for is a decent weight gun with a fairly light round. I'm thinking the same as others, a simple revolver. Small enough grip for her and not a killer trigger pull. With regular .38s in it, you have a decent defensive firearm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My MIL has similar issues (weak hands). She did much better with light loads in my little 38 revolver. It has a pretty light trigger in DA, and manageable recoil. She struggled with my FIL's Ruger revolver. She simply could not pull the trigger in DA at all, and could not cock it for SA.

Similar problems with my XD40. Not strong enough to rack the slide, though the trigger pull was easy for her. Too much recoil with my normal heavy rounds. A lighter round might have helped.

She liked my P22. Easy to rack the slide, and light trigger. Not really a SD round, but better than nothing.

So, my $0.02: a small steel-framed semi-auto with a light recoil spring and fairly light load. Maybe in 9MM or .380? If she prefers a wheel gun, find one she likes and get a trigger job.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you know someone who has a full-size 380 like the Bersa Thunder 380 (20 oz), or a SIG P232 in stainless (heavier at 23.6 oz) you might give it a try. Even though they're blowback actions, the recoil is pretty low due to their weight.

In 32 acp, the Beretta Tomcat has already been mentioned (15.8 oz) and the tip up barrel is handy for folks that don't have much hand strength.

The Taurus PT132 is heavy for a 32 at a whopping 19.9 oz. Should soak up the recoil, but I've never shot one.

The CZ 83 may have the lowest recoil of any 32 at 28.8 ounces. And the steel Walthers will come in from 20-22 oz depending on the model.

In a revolver, a Ruger SP101 in 327 mag, at 28 oz could be interesting. You could try starting with .32 S&W Short and work up to what she might be able to manage (i.e. .32 S&W Long, etc.).

As mentioned, light 38 loads in a steel revolver might work, too.

Hope you can find something that works for her.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A couple observations I've had several "mother" and "grandmother" aged women who have taken a pistol class from us...

Recoil is the last issue to worry about. Being able to pull the trigger (reach, weight) is what causes more difficulty. And usually it's the DA trigger pull on a revolver that causes the most problems. I would say that more women from 18 to 40 prefer a semi-auto, and with more familiarity will lean toward a compact 9mm -- Glock 26, XD-9sc

I've not had any grandmothers complain about recoil with a steel framed .38 special. Few complain about the recoil of an Airweight, with standard pressure loads. After shooting both they almost universally prefer a steel frame snub over an alloy frame snub. None have complained about the recoil of a .380 from a PPK/Bersa sized gun. Few like the pocket .380's.

One 50-something lady brought her new S&W Airweight .22 Mag. A right nice gun, however the trigger was lousy (gritty and heavy), she struggled. And I won't make any disparaging comments about her choice of caliber, I'd take the .22 Mag over a .32 ACP any day.

One a different day, another brought a Bersa .380 CC. She had not problems shooting or manipulating the gun, but after shooting a S&W .38 SPL she was convinced she had purchased the wrong gun.

If recoil *is* an issue, I've seen persuasive penetration tests from wadcutter loads.

The *best* thing to do to help someone choose gun is to have them try as many as possible. After trying three our four different things, there is no consensus on what they like the best.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    .22 Revolver, there are 8 & 9 shot out there, ammo is cheap, and NO real recoil... :twocents:

I second this. The older woman who decides on a firearm for personal protection and no other reason isn't likely to be concerned with anything more than having it and being able to use it. The .22 revolver fits the bill.

And you will find good info about racking the slide for those with weaker hands and other great tips for gun issues from a woman's point of view over at Cornered Cat.

Yes, but I can tell you from experience that the woman (or man, I suppose) who doesn't have an interest in overcoming that deficiency because an alternative prevents it altogether isn't going to care a lick.

IMO, those "tricks" are for the ones who want to but can't.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    About a .380 pistol:

MOST of them are "blowback" operated. That's a different recoil ballgame when compared to a modified Browning / tilt barrel recoil operation. Most all blowback operated pistols have rather sharp recoil.

-J-

Excellent point. In .380 you might want to look at the Walther PK380. It is not blowback operated. Very little recoil! My wife bought one last week. She is starting to have troubles with arthritis in the hands and wrists. I have been meaning to write a review. Lot of things I like and dislike about this gun. But if you are looking for a pistol that is easy to manipulate, with a full grip, low recoil, good accuracy, decent sights, and adequate cartridge and capacity this might be a good choice.

Top Bottom