• Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Armor by John Steakley
    The Praxis Series by Walter Jon Williams
    The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell
    The Honor Harrington series by David Weber, at least the first five books or so, after that they get old and stupid.
    I also read a cole books by Vernor Vinge several years ago, they were great. I think one was called A Fire Upon the Deep.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, movie coming out soon too.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Nerd...:D I had no idea you were into the A G Russell Sting knives...BTW thanks for stopping by the other day and bringing the youngun...

It took me long enough!!!! Cool place, plus its always good gettign to catch up with you.
    You should start a gun book, prepper book, survival fiction shelf in there, could be kinda neat, buy the book for $2, sell them for $5 and keep turning them over and over, like an old school book seller trade in program. I'm enough of a nerd I could keep you stocked up for ages!! First book I ever read to jackson was Eric Haney's Inside Delta Force...............lol...he was probably 3 months at the time and never slept, only took us 2 nights to get thru it:ar15:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Don't know why it escaped my mind, till just now, but if you haven't yet read it I'd suggest "Alongside Night" by J. Neal Schulman. It's big government/ economic collapse SHTF and just as relevant today as when it was written. It's one of the few books that is a must read for everyone. Mainly because it's SHTF scenario is actually likely to happen. Schulman just wrapped production on the movie version a month or so ago, (starring Kevin Sorbo).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alongside-Night-J-Neil-Schulman/dp/1584451203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366682802&sr=8-1&keywords=alongside+night"]Alongside Night: J. Neil Schulman: 9781584451204: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

http://www.facebook.com/jneilschulman/posts/10200845775527230

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Don't know why it escaped my mind, till just now, but if you haven't yet read it I'd suggest "Alongside Night" by J. Neal Schulman. It's big government/ economic collapse SHTF and just as relevant today as when it was written. It's one of the few books that is a must read for everyone. Mainly because it's SHTF scenario is actually likely to happen. Schulman just wrapped production on the movie version a month or so ago, (starring Kevin Sorbo).

Alongside Night: J. Neil Schulman: 9781584451204: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.facebook.com/jneilschulman/posts/10200845775527230
    Dunno if I have that one or not, but I do recognize it as having shown up in my suggested reading. Will have to snag it if I haven't already.

edit: After reading the description it seemed familiar. I have read it before, just forgotten the name. I started digging into my digital collection and found it. I pulled it a few years ago as a free PDF from some prepper fiction site, if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Lights Out and 1 Second after were both good reads.
    Unintended Consequences is a must-read by John Ross.

As someone else previously mentioned, anything by Jerry Young. (who has written over 20 vignettes, short stories and books). And btw, Jerry Young has also been a member of INGO for a few years. :P

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Matt Bracken? I've read the Enemies Foreign and Domestic trilogy, and it was pretty good. More SHTF then prep though.

Here's a link to a short, so you can get an idea of his voice.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I haven't read Lights Out yet, but Collision Course was a big turd of a book.

Besides what others have said on here, here are some of the books I've read and enjoyed:

Slow Apocalypse: Slow Apocalypse: John Varley: 9780425262139: Amazon.com: Books

Cannibal Reign: Cannibal Reign: Thomas Koloniar: 9780062025821: Amazon.com: Books

The Unit: The Unit: Terry DeHart: 9780316077408: Amazon.com: Books

Alas, Babylon: Alas, Babylon: Pat Frank, David Brin: 9780060741877: Amazon.com: Books

Zombie Related books:

Plague of the Dead: Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain: Z.A. Recht: 9781439176733: Amazon.com: Books

Day by Day Armageddon: Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile [Books 1 & 2]: J. L. Bourne: 9781451633030: Amazon.com: Books

Onrails

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Day by Day Armagedon is one of my favorites LaRue had autographed copies of the latest book.
    Also if you are into podcast check out We're Alive.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    The 299 Days series by Glenn Tate is a great read. He is working on book 7 of what will be either a 10 or 11 book series. Its available in paperback or kindle. You can find out more information at 299days.com.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    "Mountain Man", "Safari" and "Hellifax" are good books.

The "Old Man and the Wasteland" is good too.

As mentioned, "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Alas, Babylon" are both good.

Top Bottom