• ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    teach me!

I always wanted to really learn to hunt but I didnt have anybody around as a kid to teach me. I know basic tracking skills and know how to dress a kill but would really like to learn some good tips. If anybody knows some tips or good sites with info let me know.:ar15:

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Look at field dressing as just as important as every other aspect of the hunt and you'll do fine.
    I appreciate those TV hunters but often wonder how many of them get elbow deep in the goo when the camera stops rolling. Getting bloodied up with the kill is all part of it. Anyone can pull the trigger.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    anybody have any tips for a weak stomach . i seem to get sick dressing out every thing form deer to rabbits.

Get a couple feet of line. The camo parachute cord from walmart, about $2 for 50 feet, is good. It's good for lots more stuff too.

Tie a bow line in each end of it and an over hand loop in the middle. Now when ya get ready to "work" small game put one loop on one rear foot and throw the line over a limb near the trunk of a tree that puts the game slightly above your chin. and the other loop on the other foot. This is for in the field.

At home throw the line over the cloths line post or use the loop in the middle on a nail in a tree or wood post.

This gives you something in back of the game to push against and keeps it from spinning around. For turkeys now just skin it starting at the back feet like you are using a knife to take it's jammies off over it's head. Gut the belly and anything that don't look like meat throw it in the trash bag.

Rabbits, just pull the fur off and then gut it.

Squirrels just make a tiny horizontal cut between the tail and butt, now stand on it's tail and pull his "jacket off" When it gets up around his head then cut the head off and pull the other way to get his britches off.

Don't worry about it and don't cry over it if you waste or ruin a few figuring it out. If you don't have help it's just another sacrifice on your learning curve. A few must die for the betterment of man no matter if betterment is eating or learning.

Getting small game up like that rather than leaning over all the time smelling warm blood and guts takes a lot of that wheezyness out of it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For you guys wanting to learn this stuff, do ya'll have any transportation?

Most of the problem here is not people willing to teach people who want to learn, it's in the logistics of getting the two together when every one is available.

May be a weekend hunting and game cleaning seminar camp thing at Atterbury, Martin State Forrest or other area with on sight places to hunt, places to learn to cook over camp fires, places to shoot all in one place where all can get to, NOT OPENING WEEK END OF DEER SEASON would make this possible.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    always up to help

I always wanted to really learn to hunt but I didnt have anybody around as a kid to teach me. I know basic tracking skills and know how to dress a kill but would really like to learn some good tips. If anybody knows some tips or good sites with info let me know.:ar15:
    darinb, i live in brown county near beanblossom. if you have transport i may be able to help. i drive a truck and I'm usually only home w/e's but I have a week of vacation coming next week. my 14 yr old will be bow hunting 11/8 and 11/9. we'll gun hunt 11/15 and 11/16 but if you have a day off you can burn to come over I can take you squirrel hunting during the week. if you are a bow hunter we might be able to arrange a sit in a tree stand. you'll be required to have the appropropriate licenses and show me you can hit what you aim at. (8" paper plate with the bow at 20 yds, walnuts @ 25 yds with a .22) there is a lot if info on the computer but no substitute for a mentor. if you'll go to rimfirecentral.com there is a thread there under hunting called "squirrel hunters, the tree kind" with a bunch of good hearted guys just full of tips. and d b/s but thats another story. check out the thread for "shawnee squirrel hunt" too.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    it affects everybody differently

anybody have any tips for a weak stomach . i seem to get sick dressing out every thing form deer to rabbits.
    put some vicks vapo-rub under your nose for the smell. the visual and textural stimuli just take some getting used to. for rabbits, hanging them at shoulder height with some baling twine or parachute cord is most convenient. game shears or a decent set of anvil style pruners will make the job shorter. best way to skin a squirrel i've ever seen is at rimfirecentral.com..search "squacks video":yesway: better yet, heres a link
    http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/

i always pluck some of the hair at the base of the tail. helps keep the hair off the meat.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom