• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    And also what isI the best place to buy in Central Indiana?

Central Indiana is a big area! Narrow it down a little and we can help. If your in the Indy area, Indy Trading Post has a great selection of rental guns. You can try out several and see what you like.
    Also, they have the friendliest salesmen in the state!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info. Everyone has been real helpful. When I get the time I'm gonna go to a range and try these suggestions out. Still leaning heavily toward the sr9c, but there is more research to be done.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    ITP, as mentioned, Bradis, gun shop of the year, 2 years in a row... and BGF, visited all three today, and they had Glocks. Don't overlook the S&W M&P. Bradis has 2 of them on the shelf today .....

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lots of love for the Glocks here, but I cant say that I loved the G26 I had for a while. I would second looking into the M&P, if that is the size you are after. The ergonomics for me were better in the Smith as compared to the Glock. My personal favorite 9mm that I own and carry is my Hi-Power, though its a bit larger than what some would want to carry on a regular basis. My only other 9mm that I carry is a Kahr MK9, though I admit that I usually opt for either a smaller, easier to conceal ( LCP or Smith J frame), or larger, higher capacity or heavier caliber ( Hi-power or 1911) when I carry.

For me, I either go to one extreme or the other, as the mid size guns seem to be a trade off on both ends. Not as concealable as a slightly smaller gun, and not as much capacity as a slightly bigger gun.

No matter what you end up with, if you hang out around here for very long, you will probably find something else that strikes your fancy in short order, and your collection will grow.

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    Glock 19
    M&P9 Compact / Walther PPQ (with the button mag release, not the trigger guard release)
    XD9 Compact
    Sig 2022

This was my "favorite" list when I went shopping 2 months or so ago for a CC piece. I ended up buying the Glock 19, but I loved the feel of all of them over the others I tried out. I chose the Glock due to price, 3 mags from the factory, ability to use accessories for the 17 and sometimes the 26 with it, and the reputation of being reliable.

It shoots really well, just can't wait to get out and run a few hundred rounds through it one day. I haven't seen much 9mm that is reasonably priced so I mostly shoot my .45.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If I"m not mistaken Indy Trading Post has the same prices as PSS on Glocks. Glocks are going out pretty fast at all the shops but ITP and PSS would the the places I would look. ITP also has an indoor range that might come in handy if you live close.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    An SR9c is a fine gun, kinda depends on if you plan to carry it. A Kahr CW9, Beretta Nano, Shield 9 are all good choices as well. Learn as much as you can and see if you can rent any from a range before you buy!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    G19 wins hands down. I'm mostly into .40s now but have a gen 4 19 "because."

Call Whittakers guns in West Louisville, KY (the line is busy a lot but keep trying.) They are selling gen 3s for $484.99 and gen 4s for $522. They will take your order over the phone. You'll pay 6% KY sales tax plus a 2-3% additional for using a credit card. They will ship (I don't know the cost) to an FFL in your area and you'll pay your FFL a transfer fee. Even with those charges you may still get it cheaper. I've seen dealers (not just citizens) on Armslist acting like they are doing people a favor by charging "only" $600+ for gen 3 Glocks.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    There's so many great handguns out there today that I'm not going to recommend a specific one.

What I will suggest is NOT to have your mind made up on a specific 9mm quite yet. Instead, go to several (as many as you can) gun shops in your area and 'try' out a few. If you can rent some different models in your area, shoot them, see what you think.

If that's not practical in your area, what I always suggest is: At the gun shop, pick out something which you think might work for your needs. Then, pick up the gun, pick out a small 'target' some distance away. Of course, remember not to flag or sweep people in the shop.

Find a 'target' that appears about the size of your thumb nail, take a relaxed position and aim that gun at the target. See if the gun sights in and just sort of 'sits' right on that target, without really having to think about 'aiming' it. Lower the gun and repeat several times.

This is known as pointability. Go through this same procedure with every handgun you feel will fit your needs as an EDC (capacity, safety features, mag release location, etc.). You MAY have to go back and forth between several guns and / or make repeated visits to one or more gun shops.

Typically, you'll find that out of your potential purchases, one will just sort of 'naturally' sit right on target time and again. Every time you 'grab' it, it will just 'drop' right on target, the sights lining up right where you pointed it.

My suggestion? THAT'S the gun you should buy because that's the one that 'fits' you. Whether that's a 1911 clone, Colt, FN, Glock, H&K, Kahr, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Ruger, S&W, Taurus, XD, or anything else.

Why? Because you're buying a gun that you intend to carry to protect yourself, maybe those around you, as well.

You WANT a gun you don't have to 'think' about aiming, or functioning. You WANT a gun that's a 'natural' extension of your shooting hand, and just 'goes' exactly where you point it.

BECAUSE, if you're ever forced to put that gun into use, the natural tendency for us humans is to 'grab' that gun as quickly as you can and simply point it at the threat, and begin pulling that trigger if necessary.

Practice and training notwithstanding, that's what we're MOST likely to do in such a high stress situation. We DON'T tend to think about 'proper grip, sight alignment, sight picture, focus on front sight, etc., etc., etc.' We tend to think, 'THREAT! STOP THREAT!'

And you WANT a gun that, because it 'fits' YOU, does that 'automatically' and goes straight to that threat and 'falls' right on target. THAT gun will hit what you shoot at, if (god forbid) you're forced to shoot to eliminate that threat.

What *I* think, and my background, credentials, and what I've been through mean nothing. To YOU. What YOU think, and what you do in such a scenario is everything. To YOU.

And I hope you never have to be forced into a position to find out. Truly.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I think the Glock 19 of any generation is a good pistol for the money. I also think
    the XD pistols from Springfield are a good buy. The Smith M&P series are a lot of gun for the money. If you don't mind used guns the Smith 5900 series are a good buy if you can find them under $400.00. I really like my 5906 and I picked it up at the Nappanee gun show for 350.00 last year. Cz guns are usually a good buy if you like steel guns and they have a polymer frame pistol in their lineup but I have never shot or handled one of them yet. Hope this info helps. Good luck in your search.:draw:

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Hi, The Ruger SR9c has very good reviews by the gun writers. The last article which I about this gun in Guns and Ammo and the writer suggested the gun was slightly on the large size for an every day CC gun. I think the gun weighs about 24 oz without ammo and is a little longer than 6 1/2 inches. You may want to put one in a holster and see how it feels before buying. I recall that it holds 10 rounds in the supplied magazine. You may be totally comfortable with that size gun. I personally chose to go smaller and routinely carry the Ruger LC9 that weighs about 17 oz without ammo and carries 7 rounds in its regular magazine. I also have the Taurus PT-111 Pro that weighs under 19 oz and carries 12 rounds. The Taurus seems like a large gun to me compared to the Ruger. Anyway my point is that size (and ergonomics) may or may not ultimately be an issue to you but you should consider them as part of your decision making. i.e. do you want a blocky gun or a smooth rounded one. Also, do you want a long trigger pull DAO or a shorter lighter trigger pull of a Single Action? Do you want an external safety or not? There are many quality guns out there in varying sizes and configurations. Ruger is a good brand as is Sig, Beretta, Kahr, Glock and others previously named.

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    In my mind Bradis Guns is the best place to buy, as far as what is the best I would say check out INGUNOWNERS you tube channel. They have several reviews on several different options. I like to find a place that rent's gun's and try out some of the different type's and configuration's before you buy.. Good luck and happy shooting..

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet....

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Best advice is to go to a shop and test the FEEL of the weapon. I was looking at Glocks until a salesman showed me their safety. Nothing Then he showed me a Springfield XD9. It felt better in my hand and has an excellent grip safety. I purchased it and have no regrets, also I don't worry about accidental discharge of the weapon

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Try before you buy like others have suggested. I tried glock, xdm & m&p before I made my first purchase. M&P won with me. Your mileage will vary. Later, when I decided to go the compact route, I chose M&P again because the platform is very familiar to me now.
    I had an lc-9 for a bit (I won it). But my fingers are long/skinny, and that trigger was nutso for me.

Iceman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    My suggestion to you would be to go to several stores in your area and get your hands on as many guns as you can that would fit your needs. I usually tell people to try out at the very LEAST Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XD. Throw as many into the mix as you like that meet your needs and budget (you've clearly already done a little looking and wanted to check out the Ruger). Of course, the best is if you have some friends that you can get some range time with. If you have any shooting buddies, or friends who you know are into shooting, I would be shocked if you couldn't find a G19 amongst the bunch that you could get a little range time with. That's what I did with the 3 I suggested earlier in this post - personally, I ended up with an M&P.

As far as places to buy in central Indiana, I like Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis as well.

Top Bottom