• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From a pure tax standpoint, California runs a deficit. Their total Federal tax contribution is $292.5 million (2012) and their total Federal "spend" is $343.7 million (2013).
    Both from Wikipedia, which sources the Federal Government for the numbers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As much as I hate the politics and world view of California, I still hope that the spillway problem does not make the Johnstown, PA dam break disaster look like a small thing.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My son and his family live 2 blocks from the Feather River 35 miles downstream from the Oroville dam. They had to evacuate last night. By Wednesday, they are calling for 7-11 straight days of rain in this area. They have to drop the water level at least 50 feet before the rain or they are saying the whole dam will go.

He says the biggest fear he and his neighbors have is the looting in the evacuated areas, which has already started.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    So a bunch of intelligent guys get together and say, hey let's make a 700' tall dam here. We know what we're doing, this will work great. And then - oh man, this thing might kill a bunch of people. Oops. We had one locally wash out the road when the emergency spillway was in use. At least it worked mostly as designed.

It's striking how quickly that lake went from mostly empty to catastrophic flooding.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Bureau of Reclamation dam?

California Department of Water Resources.

I wonder whether, after the Glen Canyon Dam spillway cavitation damage in 1983, the possibility of similar cavitation-induced damage to the Oroville main spillway was considered. So far I have not located any stories of modifications to the Oroville spillway after the Glen Canyon incident.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Been reading some of the news about this. It was built in the 1950's, no real problems or repairs since. They passed a $7.4 billion dollar water bill in 2014, not a single dollar spent on the Oroville dam. It is a earth dam, not concrete.

I suspect it was put on the bottom of the list for any serious money because it wasn't a problem. Normal for many Gov organizations.

Cal will probably have an emergency tax increase/spending spree/debt increase. Because of the inflated land values it will be a staggering amount of money.

Don

Top Bottom