• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Been reading some of the news about this. It was built in the 1950's, no real problems or repairs since. They passed a $7.4 billion dollar water bill in 2014, not a single dollar spent on the Oroville dam. It is a earth dam, not concrete.

I suspect it was put on the bottom of the list for any serious money because it wasn't a problem. Normal for many Gov organizations.

Cal will probably have an emergency tax increase/spending spree/debt increase. Because of the inflated land values it will be a staggering amount of money.

Don

Oroville Dam: Feds and state officials ignored warnings 12 years ago

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm surprised there isn't more damage. The erosion at the bottom of the main spillway is impressive, but doesn't really endanger the dam. It's far enough away on the other side of the hill. I believe they were concerned the emergency spillway was going to undercut, which would have caused the dam to fail. Should have heeded the warnings they got 12 years ago and reinforced it. Unfortunately, it takes something like this to get people to act.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess I'm a weirdo. When it comes to 200,000 people's homes being destroyed, I don't much care how the entire state voted in a presidential election.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't wish harm on the residents. I DO wish this would be a wake-up call. California blows through taxpayer and borrowed money like a fat kid eating candy on Halloween, but doesn't use that money for infrastructure. This isn't sustainable, and they are reaping what they sowed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't wish harm on the residents. I DO wish this would be a wake-up call. California blows through taxpayer and borrowed money like a fat kid eating candy on Halloween, but doesn't use that money for infrastructure. This isn't sustainable, and they are reaping what they sowed.

Whah? You mean the purpose of government isn't to make everyone equal?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I guess I'm a weirdo. When it comes to 200,000 people's homes being destroyed, I don't much care how the entire state voted in a presidential election.

I've spent time in Southern California and Northern California...Judging this part of California by the actions of Hollywood and San Francisco would be a mistake...

Like Hough it's irrelevant to me how they voted but I would imagine this area voted pretty red...

16x9

You're not a weirdo....You just know what a pain a busted water heater can be to clean up....So an entire lake crashing down on one's home deserves prayers and empathy...Not ridicule....

Except for Barbara Streisand....I can't stand Barbara Streisand...:)

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

California passed a multi-billion dollar water infrastructure bill in 2014. Amount earmarked for Oroville Dam? $0.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    I don't wish harm on any of the residents either. I hope they all heeded the warnings and got out. Now as for the looters people are reporting, maybe a good bath will help them clean up their act.

I posted this originally simply because of all the calls for California to secede from the US, but now will be crawling to D.C. for help with the clean up that they themselves could have prevented (apparently 12 years ago, or even as late as 2014 by new reports coming out)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kind of reminds me of a problem in New Orleans some years back. Lack of maintenance and upgrades caused some pretty serious issues when the weather pressed in. I guess the money was spent on political graft and welfare programs.

In the 70's, I spent several years as a Civil Defense volunteer sandbagging peoples homes along the Kankakee river. A lot of people were able to get subsidized money to rebuild, and they did. Year after year. Some even expanded their homes, only to get flooded out again. Then I started thinking "why do people keep expanding homes where danger and destruction is to be expected?" The bottom line is that no matter how brilliant and powerful we think we are, The force that designed this world is far more powerful. It seems better to work with natural systems than to work against them.

I hope the CA residents fare well, I hate to see anyone loose their homes.

Top Bottom