• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I too graduated from there, my entire family still lives in Henryville, I spent Fri/Sat and Sun staying overnight in what was left of one family members home until we got it emptied out. You would be amazed how many people we ran out of the house Friday and saturday, let alone off the property.
    On a side not it would also amaze you home many people saw us carrying out furniture and boxes who came up, walked right in, grabbed boxes and started helping us fill the trucks. Even though there are always bad apples, my personal experience is they were out numbered thousands to one.

Last edited:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    There's been very little of this in the affected areas. Compared to a lot of places in the country (New Orleans comes to mind), we are very fortunate.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Oh yeah, compared to some places in the country, we're doing great. But it still saddens me. And yes Boomstick, the few times I have been up there, all I have personally seen is people helping clean up, people donating food, bringing in water, bags of clothing, helping families salvage furniture and other items from their destroyed houses....there are a lot of good ones, but its unfortunate that it only takes a few bad ones to put everybody on edge.

Ironically, we're going up there tomorrow to help a home owner strip all of the wiring out of their house to sell before the home is bulldozed. :p Wonder if someone will think we are looters....

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I too graduated from there, my entire family still lives in Henryville, I spent Fri/Sat and Sun staying overnight in what was left of one family members home until we got it emptied out. You would be amazed how many people we ran out of the house Friday and saturday, let alone off the property.
    On a side not it would also amaze you home many people saw us carrying out furniture and boxes who came up, walked right in, grabbed boxes and started helping us fill the trucks. Even though there are always bad apples, my personal experience is they were out numbered thousands to one.

Need one of these. I am not trying to be funny just saying.
    images

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had an apartment building catch fire and put out in time. Next thing you know we had all kind of "friends" and "cousins" wanting to help remove belongings. Stopped that right now and advised if they weren't with the residents (on the lease) to leave and return only with them. No looting occured. Residents did return and provided a list of who was helping. We had to check IDs and record the info.The buildings weren't opened unless a couple of firemen were standing by to assist. It was a mess at first.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I heard that over the weekend there was a towing company out of Scottsburg towing cars to their lot and charging the owners an impound fee to get them back. ISP put a stop to it. One of the ladies who was in the high school had her van towed by these creeps.

Got a name? I'm from Scott Co. and will avoid them like the plague. You can pm me with it if you'd rather.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When we were up there yesterday, there was some idiot with a bolt in his face, (storm damage or intentional, I'm not sure.....) who came around with a story about his grandmothers roof being blown off, and wanting to help us pick through the stuff in the yard.....yeah buddy, I don't see your grandmothers roof here, you best keep on moving.

Myself and the homeowner were OC'ing all day....he didn't come back.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Was down in Henryville yeasterday all day and Holton Thursday helping out with our church group. The amount of damage to these areas was matched with the amount of wonderful people that arrived to volunteer and ask "What can I do?" Times like this helps give me hope of the "good" that is the core of American values and the looters remind of what we need to be constantly on guard against. Yes, I was packing the whole time and am not sure of how I would have reacted if I would have caught anyone looting. Witnessing first hand the devastation and loss that these people are forced to deal with and THEN have to deal with looter scum would have made keeping ones proper mindset a VERY difficult challenge!

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I am a great supporter of the idea of "shoot to kill" for looters.

Then again, I also feel that way about general vandals and graffitists, but some think that's excessive. I don't.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I recall going to Biloxi, MS about two weeks after Katrina to help out. National Guard was there, the police were stretched thin.

However, they took looting very seriously, we had one looting call and there were about a battalion of police there, and three burglars.

Guess who won? Biloxi PD guys loved us, we had Tasers, and showed them how they worked. Frequently.

Anyone that would come into a devastated area to pillage and loot deserves a whole lot more than "having the book thrown at him."

A whipping post comes to mind.

My heartfelt prayers go out to those in the devastated areas.
    Godspeed, and Good Luck.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Friend of mine had a boat, and he went down after Katrina to help pull people out of flooded areas. He was only down there for a day or two before some guys came after them and started shooting at them, trying to steal their boat so that they could use it to loot houses.

They got out of there as fast as that boat would carry them, hooked it up to the truck, and went home. Felt bad for the people they would've been able to help otherwise, but weren't going to risk it.

Scumbags are everywhere....they just find it easier to stop hiding when the authorities are stretched thin.

Top Bottom