• ...and so much more!
  • morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I'm building a recce style rifle. It'll be in 7.62x39. Plan to put in a binary trigger, have a reptillia recce stock being delivered Monday. Picked up the upper in a trade today from another member. So, binary trigger 7.62x39. Should I go lpvo? Or should I go red dot and magnifier? To be fair it'd probably be a holosun 512c-gd. So Gold dot and magnifier. Still need to get a lpk, pistol grip, and the binary trigger.

Reactions: ACR

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    And if lpvo, which kind? I've only ever used red dots. Never went hunting or anything so I don't have much scope knowledge. I don't need top of the line, as realistically this will never go beyond range toy. As much as I want to prepare for an end of the world scenario, I doubt it comes. I was thinking primary arms. I like their stuff.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm a 28 year veteran of the U.S. Army with 4 wartime deployments... so listen up...
    I'm also just some guy you never met on the internet... so take everything I say with a grain of salt... lol.

1. CQB or defensive weapon = Red dot.
    2. RECCE or general purpose = LPVO.
    3. SPR or precision weapon = regular scope.

Of the LPVOs out there, I favor the PA 1-8 with the ACSS reticule Very good bang for the buck.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I'm a 28 year veteran of the U.S. Army with 4 wartime deployments... so listen up...
    I'm also just some guy you never met on the internet... so take everything I say with a grain of salt... lol.

1. CQB or defensive weapon = Red dot.
    2. RECCE or general purpose = LPVO.
    3. SPR or precision weapon = regular scope.

Of the LPVOs out there, I favor the PA 1-8 with the ACSS reticule Very good bang for the buck.
    My .556 ar with positive reset trigger has a holosun 512c-gd on it. So gold dot, because it pops more than red. Much easier for my red/green colorblind ass to see.

I assume acss griffin or acss raptor is just preference? And ffp or sfp? And does it matter if the scope says it's specifically designed for a certain caliber?

I'll make another post later when deciding on scope for my 6.5 grendel build.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Got 2 like this.

So what is the designation of 5.56/5.45/.308? I assume it'll function the same for 7.62x39 just the bullet drop may be off?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I know the 1-8 is magnification. What does the x24 mean?
    Diameter in mm of the objective lens (the lens that gathers the light from the muzzle end).

Edit:
    A quick guide that I have no emotional attachment to: https://rifle-scope-guide.com/objective-lens-diameter/
    The wider the objective, the more light that is gathered.

Pretty much any scope will work mid-day in terms of quantity of light (yep, I know successful hunters with Tasco scopes). The real difference is at dusk and dawn as well as providing contrast (where glass quality and lens coatings make the distinction in results for a given shooter).

Yet another edit of this post:
    There's no magic number. The guidelines from Post #3 are pretty good for general purpose, but each shooter/hunter will have his or her own preferences. When I was a teenager, I wanted MOAR MAGNIFICATION on my rifles. Nowadays I think an LPVO is just about perfect for my needs of ~75 yd shots in the brush. Other folks who like to shoot 'em running often like red dots for deer hunting.

You didn't ask about hunting, but the point is the same:
    For your interests, skill level, and use case what is a reasonable trade off for weight, price, reticle, etc. Red dots star burst badly for me, some folks don't mind it or say to turn the brightness down and reliably use them out to 200 yd. But if I have to constantly adjust brightness I might miss the chance to do the thing I want (maybe they're better than I am, maybe they just have different value in the trade off, who cares).

Last edit:
    Okay, for a Recce, the LPVO is probably a good balance, but you might care if you have a 1-Something or maybe want to save weight and get a 1.5- or 2- (I hear the digital gasps now).
    Far more competent shooters than I are onboard the LPVO for Recce rifles (here a Mk 12):

Last edited:

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to get one of those PA 1-8x24 ffp he recomended. There is one listed here, and I've dealt with him before. Maybe I can sweet talk him into a trade.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I all but abandoned LPVOs. I just can't see the practical use for them considering their footprint. If I want a general purpose rifle to do up close out to 200-250yds then I'd almost go with a fixed prism scope with an etched reticle. Smaller footprint and a 2.5x can be shot if needed with both eyes open like a 1x dot. My go to has a TA31 with RMR. I can transition to and from 1x and 4x with only moving my head a couple inches. Never have to take my hands off the gun. Most guys I see shooting LPVOs never use the mid range. They're either on 1x or max power

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    LPVO for sure. Arken has a new 1-8 id look at if your trying to make it budget minded.

Also, Hard pass on a binary trigger in a recce (anything honestly). Aside from a range toy I don't think they serve a purpose.
    Purpose? No, not really. Lol. My lower has 3 positions, I'm gonna use all 3. Lol.

I figure I could just keep it in semi auto for most of the time. Figure it'd be nice to have one incase the government ever outlawed them. I got myself an atf approved forced reset trigger. So might as well have a binary too.

Thanks for heads up on Arken.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    LPVO for sure. Arken has a new 1-8 id look at if your trying to make it budget minded.

Also, Hard pass on a binary trigger in a recce (anything honestly). Aside from a range toy I don't think they serve a purpose.
    I have to slightly disagree with the binary trigger statement here, however it depends on the purpose. Used to have an Echo trigger years ago, and it would give more accurate fire with a faster fire rate and less finger fatigue than rapid semi-auto. In the civilian world, then yeah they are mostly a range toy. Potential TEOTWAWKI, alien invasion, red dawn/dragon scenario, etc., then no there is a place for them. Put it on a heavy barrel rifle with a bipod and extended/drum magazine, and you have a decent SAW that can either give long range suppressive fire, or be used a "heavy weapon" in an ambush scenario.

I do agree that it does not belong in a recce though. And I also agree with those that say binary triggers shouldn't exist, but they'll be relevant until the NFA (or at the very least the blasted Hughes Amendment) is repealed.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I have to slightly disagree with the binary trigger statement here, however it depends on the purpose. Used to have an Echo trigger years ago, and it would give more accurate fire with a faster fire rate and less finger fatigue than rapid semi-auto. In the civilian world, then yeah they are mostly a range toy. Potential TEOTWAWKI, alien invasion, red dawn/dragon scenario, etc., then no there is a place for them. Put it on a heavy barrel rifle with a bipod and extended/drum magazine, and you have a decent SAW that can either give long range suppressive fire, or be used a "heavy weapon" in an ambush scenario.

I do agree that it does not belong in a recce though. And I also agree with those that say binary triggers shouldn't exist, but they'll be relevant until the NFA (or at the very least the blasted Hughes Amendment) is repealed.
    I figure, I can always just use it as a regular semi auto trigger, gonna get the straight one. Then if the need ever arises, switch to third mode for binary.

Top Bottom