• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    LPVO is best all around sight IMO.
    1x-10x I've seen. I use 1-6 and 1-8 Illuminated for hunting. I'm in the process of changing my optics that I hunt with to LPVO, and also home defense rifles.
    Bushnell AR Optics 1-8×
    20230922_165756.jpg
    Also a Bushnell 1-8x
    20230808_215451.jpg
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x
    20200731_052849.png

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've never been happy with the accuracy of red dots on rifles. A two moa dot is as big of a dot I could stand accuracy wise. My astigmatism makes all red dots look like a starburst, more of a lighting bolt. I tried the primary arms 1-6 and love it. Next lpvo might be another brand but it won't be a red dot. Had a bushnell ar scope on my bull barrel poor man rifle and it was awesome.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I've never been happy with the accuracy of red dots on rifles. A two moa dot is as big of a dot I could stand accuracy wise. My astigmatism makes all red dots look like a starburst, more of a lighting bolt. I tried the primary arms 1-6 and love it. Next lpvo might be another brand but it won't be a red dot. Had a bushnell ar scope on my bull barrel poor man rifle and it was awesome.
    I love the gold holosun 512c too much to not use it on at least 1. 1 will be an lpvo. 6.5 grendel will probably get a regular long range scope. I only have those 3 so far.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Through much research, information shared here, and a slight misunderstanding of what the term recce stood for, I have come to a choice. For my 7.62x39 build I will go with red dot and flip to side magnifier. I will in all likelyhood switch to an lpvo on my 5.56 build. Internet says sight picture and focus isn't as quick with an lpvo, so it would be a trial run there. I need to find someone with a prism scope to try. I have an astigmatism but rds don't seem to flare too much, or maybe I just don't realize. And my 6.5 grendel build that is in the works will be a regular scope. Intending for medium to long range use. I also need to try an acog. Because apparently they rule.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Through much research, information shared here, and a slight misunderstanding of what the term recce stood for, I have come to a choice. For my 7.62x39 build I will go with red dot and flip to side magnifier. I will in all likelyhood switch to an lpvo on my 5.56 build. Internet says sight picture and focus isn't as quick with an lpvo, so it would be a trial run there. I need to find someone with a prism scope to try. I have an astigmatism but rds don't seem to flare too much, or maybe I just don't realize. And my 6.5 grendel build that is in the works will be a regular scope. Intending for medium to long range use. I also need to try an acog. Because apparently they rule.

When you are shooting from ideal shooting positions, you wont see any of the downsides of a LPVO. When you try to shoot off your left shoulder or around a barrier you will see that it's hard to maintain the proper eye relief to see the reticle. If you train enough, you can overcome this, but if you dont plan to train in awkward positions, then I wouldnt use a LPVO for any rifle that you plan to defend yourself with.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    OP watch this:

He talks about all the types of sights you mentioned. He is connected with Primary Arms but he gets into that in the video.

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    Considering you’ll primarily be using this setup at the range, opting for a red dot with magnification seems like a practical choice. This setup, especially with a binary trigger in 7.62x39, provides a good balance of precision and ease of use, making it ideal for target shooting. Just ensure that the red dot and magnifier you select are compatible and of high quality for optimal performance.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Considering you’ll primarily be using this setup at the range, opting for a red dot with magnification seems like a practical choice. This setup, especially with a binary trigger in 7.62x39, provides a good balance of precision and ease of use, making it ideal for target shooting. Just ensure that the red dot and magnifier you select are compatible and of high quality for optimal performance.
    Yeah. I picked up a relatively cheap lpvo and threw on some scope rings and mounted it to my 5.56. I'm not sold on how small the sight picture gets once I magnify it. I still need to get a magnifier. I have a Holosun 512c-gd. It's a gold circle/dot. It's fantastic for my colorblind ass. The gold really pops. So I was going to get a holosun magnifier for it. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

GasTube138

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2023
    Munster
    For competitions I like magnifier/ dot combos. The main reason being is I don't like the eye relief for LPVOs on shorter distances (within 50 yards) but do want to pop on some magnification in case a stage has something 100+ out. It's not hard for me to just flip the magnifer up/down when needed, and keep a nice site box for when I don't need it.

Practically speaking, though, LPVO is my "shtf" style go to.

That's me though. Everyone is comfortable with different stuff. Try out things, try to resell if you don't like it.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    LPVO is my personal preference. You get 1 to 6 or 1 to 8 anymore for a pretty decent price where as a magnifier you really only get from 1 to 3 or 4.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Bushnell LPVO just decided to fail. I'm still waiting on Bushnell customer service to reply to me about getting it sent in for warranty repair. This will be the 4th business day in waiting.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    My Bushnell LPVO just decided to fail. I'm still waiting on Bushnell customer service to reply to me about getting it sent in for warranty repair. This will be the 4th business day in waiting.
    Well yeah, it's Bushnell. I really like Primary Arms 1 to 6. I have a couple.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Finally after a very long time Bushnell has sent me an RMA label, and free FedEx shipping label.

Will let you know how they handle the situation after I get the scope back.

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    Finally after a very long time Bushnell has sent me an RMA label, and free FedEx shipping label.

Will let you know how they handle the situation after I get the scope back.
    Wow! Such a long wait time. Glad they are finally taking it back.

Kclark1998

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Lee’s Summit
    My eyesight isn’t the best and I like to be able identify what I’m aiming at. I wound up getting a burris 1-6 lpvo that has a red dot mounted on top acog style. Will work for now.

Quickfoot11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2024
    Noblesville
    I'm building a recce style rifle. It'll be in 7.62x39. Plan to put in a binary trigger, have a reptillia recce stock being delivered Monday. Picked up the upper in a trade today from another member. So, binary trigger 7.62x39. Should I go lpvo? Or should I go red dot and magnifier? To be fair it'd probably be a holosun 512c-gd. So Gold dot and magnifier. Still need to get a lpk, pistol grip, and the binary trigger.
    I have a 512c-gd, it's awesome. And the red version (which I prefer). I'm partial to red dots over lpvo's but both have their place. For 7.62x39mm I'd go red dot though!

Top Bottom